Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 1951 Chevy Build. New to H.A.M.B.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dannyogorman, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K

Looks great!!!!!!

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it, Danny!

3. Wow, you did an awesome job!

4. R.C.

R.C.
    from Waco Texas

really cool, like the your style

5. Noland

Noland

Very true. I feel you did a very nice job. There are very few people that dont use plastic to finish stuff. What kind of glaze are you using. I use Upol dolphin glaze and it works nice. I also use a polyester primer called rust defender sometimes to make things really straight with alittle less effort.

6. zip

zip

Danny, your efforts are fantastic. Keep up the great work, it's inspiring for sure. The headlights & grill opening show fabulous design!

7. the plymouth grill fits in there pretty good.nice build.

8. Tin Can

Tin Can

front end treatment is looking good

9. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

10. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Thank you guys means a lot! Really. It is starting to come together. I dont know how many times I thought about just cutting it all back off. Glad I didnt now. People dont relize how many hours and just how much work it really takes to make it your own. I hate seeing people walking through at a car show and not even actually looking at a car to appreciate whats all been done to it.

Noland - Using evercoat flowable metal glaze. As far as blocking primer I really like to use Evercoats "Slick Sand". It's some truely high build stuff. I use a 2.2 tip to spray it out nice. I block that all down with 180 and then use evercoat uro-fill and hit that with 320. I'll do some progress photos as I get to it. Id already be ready since I worked on it for the last 6 hours sanding and taping it up, but it's -27 outside and snowing so I think I'll wait untill I can get the garage heated up to around at least 60 or 70 before I spray anything. Untill then Im going to put on my new rockers and drivers side floor pan.

11. Wow, how the hell did i miss this thread? Looks good Danny welcome aboard brotha... Lub that front end glad too see you rounded the corners that made it a hell lot cleaner.

12. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah... Koolsville for sure! That's my kind of bodywork- looks like it would be fun to do the frontend in lead. I can't wait to see what treatment the rearend will get!

13. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Thanks again guys! Rearend I'm thinking split bumpers off a 55 pontiac and some custom metalwork. You guys decide. throw some ideas my way and ill make it happen.
    Pinstriper - lead the front end would be awesome but i would need airshocks to help hold it up from all the weight. Msybe it would be easier than lowering springs? lol

14. BaznJosh

BaznJosh

Great looking car! LOVE that front end treatment!!

15. hotdamn

hotdamn

I really dig your grille opening but not sold on the plymouth grille, looks a little bulky to me.

what about a 51 olds grille bar?

just a thought.

I think the car is dialed otherwise:D

16. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

hotdamn, I do agree. I wanted to let it grow on me until I find something else. I am afraid that when I put the bumper back on it will be too much. We'll see. thanks

17. Anvil 14

Anvil 14

Looks cool! Just a suggestion,but I kinda like a dark "honey comb " area for the grille. This would highlight the headlights and bumper. Here in Ontario, Canada, we'd have to put an FUGLY licence plate in there.

18. Looks very cool Danny . Dont rush on the grille, something will come along . Work on the rest of the car and something or someone will give you an idea that will be Top Shelf . How about the grille bar from an 50 , 51 F - 100 They have 3 teeth in them . You can cut them down ( even the grillebar ) and add more teeth to it . Maybe 5 ?Maybe someone will photoshop this idea and send it to you . Who knows ? It looks like you have the talent to make up your own floating grillebar . On these customs originality of design is wide open . My 2 c worth . Stay at it man !!!

19. Noland

Noland

Thanks, Ive never used "slick sand" before Ive been wondering about it. I didnt know evercoat made primers. Im behind the times. I uses the same procedure, repriming over the polyester primer. The stuff I use says you can paint right over it but its to "course" and paint will sink in. The only advice I would give would be once your done 320 your primer just go over it with 600 real quick to help with fine scratches in finish coats.

20. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

noland. With 320 you need to seal it before any basecoats. 600 if you don't plan on sealing it. I plan on sealing it, but goodd advice for sure. Thanks

21. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Now all you need is to bring that top down about 3 or4 inches!!!! Nice work! Larry

22. Smokey2

Smokey2

Hey , I'll have to go along with tha' others! UR LOOKIN' GOOOD!!
    Not bad atall, for couple hours work.........Keeper Going.

Now,.........Whar did I put Hacksaw????
    John

23. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

aw1950 - I've thought about the f1 teeth and bar cut down I just havent seen one around I could get for reaqsonable amount. I'd hate to buy it and chop it all apartg and not like it. A photshop of that with 5 teeth would be awesome!
    Anvil14 - a honeycomb would look good too. I'll need to post a picture over on the photoshop thread and have the guys throw some ideas out there I can visually see. Thanks for your input.
    One Bad Merc - Top is coming down I promise ..
    Smokey - Thanks. I borrowed your hacksaw. lol

24. excaliber_customs

excaliber_customs

im ready to see it get chopped

25. skyrodder

skyrodder

Looking great man!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TJJ

26. sololobo

sololobo

Welcome to the H.A.M.B., had some friends from Hutch as they called it. NIce work on the Chevy, get it up to Salina for the KKOA show and we will see ya there, a great time at this show! ~sololobo~

27. skyrodder

skyrodder

How did the pot metal from the headlights weld to the fender? Was it pretty easy?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TJJ

28. Noland

Noland

Oh ok, I still use 600 either way. I would recommend sealing. Its easy to beleive you could get away with 320 also when sealing. I honestly doubt a normal person would be able to pick out 320 scratches anyways. Ive never had adhesion problems with sealing over 600 either. you know how it is 1000 ways to do one thing. Awesome build by the way.

29. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Noland - thanks man.
    Skyrodder - I hate to admit it but they are brazed on with some fancy rod I bought at a car show. You cant weld it - it just blows apart.
    thanks again guys.

30. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Okay guys, I stopped by over at Roy Fields place and he let me take this grille. He got it from a guy working out of the old barris shop when he was down there for vacation. I have 3 pictures with all the different grills so far, let me know what you think.

Attached Files: