Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Chevy Styleline DeLuxe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LeftCoastErik, May 7, 2011.

1. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Ditch the skirts, but that's only my opinion. I love this car and can't wait to see what you do to it.

2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

tight work, makes me wish i would have kept my '50 deluxe which sold to a guy in california. :(

3. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I have some Olds headlight rings with the peak that I am considering, Zocchi-style. Not sure what I am going to do exactly

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Sweet ride! I like what you've done so far! The wheel color? KILLER! Reaaly se the car off, man!

5. Little Terry

Little Terry

Looks nice. Like the motor.

Those air cleaners make the carbs look a lot better. I have some of those carbs on my shelf, but went with some old Carters for my truck. They have been pretty reliable to be honest, but I wonder, will the newer ones will give you better power and mileage?

Keep the updates coming.
    LT.

6. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

The carbs work pretty awesome in my opinion. Electric chokes are great, throttle response is perfect. I am really happy with them. Not sure if I am happy with the power, but its a stock C.I. rebuilt 235 with a cam and Mini HEI with those carbs. It runs good, but I want to get it on my dyno and see what it really makes.

7. 73super

73super

Love the skirts!

8. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Well, thats one vote for the skirts..hehe.. Not sure still, we'll see after I get some color on it.

9. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Car's looking awesome. I think it's kind of cool to see someone running a car without bags, for a reason other than "can't afford them."

I'm generally a big fan of fender skirts on anything GM from the early '50s .... but in this case, I think I like your car just a little better without them. But the beauty of skirts is that they fit in the trunk, and you can take them off and put them back on to suit your mood.

10. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Yup, I love the skirts too, but the wheels changed my perspective. I just want to see that color and contrast. Balances the car for me. That said, I'll still finish the skirts and have them in the trunk, just in case I change my mind

11. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Three thumbs up on the fender skirts! Love 'em! Esp on '49 - '54 GM

12. nikkke

nikkke

Love it with skirts!

13. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

This weekend I decided that all the old paint had to go. It was poorly shot, and was a little too glittery for me. I am gonna rock it in bare metal for the summer while I do the other body work on it.

Attached Files:

14. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

more

Attached Files:

15. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

The good news is that I found very little evidence of rust. Some in the lower outer fender, a skim coat on both doors (but just a dent under it). Some skim on the panel below the trunk, but no rust. LF fender is not original.

16. Subscribed! Fun build to follow and Love the color on the wheels!

17. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Got some pics this weekend at the Nor Cal HAMB-A-Lamma-Ding-Dong BBQ event. I got the license plate piece on the rear bumper so I could move the plate down. Now I have to start filling holes and fixing dents.

Attached Files:

18. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

19. That's way cool!
    My aunt and uncle had a car like that when I was a kid. Somehow it got named "Precious" and the name stuck. A few years later it became their second car and my cousin got to drive it at 16. Well, she stacked it up one day and that was that. They drug it out to their land and left it in the woods.
    Wish I had that car now.....

20. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

So far this weekend, I got the Peeps installed, moved some of my gauges around so I can see them better, wired up the turn signals and got my vintage plate installed. Hoping to make some time today to modify the center vent to make it flip down so I can hide the stereo behind it.

21. Little Terry

Little Terry

Looks like it's going really well. Subtle but lovely. Looking forward to seeing it in paint. Let me know what power she makes with those carbs.
    LT.

22. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

So this week I decided to chop the car. I am thinking 4" front and 5" back with kicked B pillars and an extended catwalk. I made a deal with a guy who does it for a living to do the cut and tack, then do all the garnish and windows for me. I'll do the grunt work along with my welder buddy who owes me some favors..
    Got the headlight Frenching alsmost done and spent the weekend filling holes and stripping the interior to prepare for the chop. I am getting pretty decent with the welder, but patience is not one of my virtues, so I have to be careful

23. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Pics!

Attached Files:

24. tbcworks.com

tbcworks.com
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin Good! Great Post.

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I like the skirts. I say keep em, or at least keep em in your trunk and use em half the time ;)

Are you still considering the Olds headlights? Those would look awesome.

26. robleticia

robleticia

Do it Erik!!! I think there is "chopping" in the air!:rolleyes:

27. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement. A month ago, I wouldn't have tried to weld anything, now I can't wait to get the helmet on. I am excited to have a badass chop. More pics later this week

28. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Got some more done over the weekend. My "Drop In" Aluminum radiator would have probably worked on a 216 car, but not for me. I took the water pump off, shortened it as much as I could and still get it aligned (about 7/8" or so) and I still could not squeeze this thick ass radiator in there.
    I ended up moving it to the front of the support and re-doing the hoses and whatnot. I wired in the electric fan with a relay and temp switch so its brainless and protected.

I also got the rest of the driver's side holes rough welded. Going to grind everything down tomorrow night and see what I have. I am learning alot about welding..

Looks like we'll be starting the Chop on Friday, the 12th. Wish me luck, I want to get it together enough to drive to Billetproof on Sept. 17th. Pretty aggressive, but I like a challenge.

Attached Files:

29. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

Grabbed 60' of square tubing today to start bracing the inside. Hope to get that all done by the end of this weekend.

30. robleticia

robleticia

You can doooo eeit!