Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1949 Mercury project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1949 mercury, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Baron, tomkelly88, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  2. [​IMG][​IMG]

Got her home. Just wondering where I should start from here ? Put the wiring in and dash then steering column all the lights, chrome, bumpers, exhaust, Then the glass and interior ? Lots to do just wondering if there is a good order to go or just start putting everything I have on ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, Aussiepete. and Baron like this.
  3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd probably start with the steering column and wiring and anything else need to make it movable under its own power. Than do the exhaust to keep the neighbors happy. Save the chrome for last. Looking real good. Going to be a very nice car when your finished.

1949 mercury likes this.
  4. No I haven't

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. [​IMG][​IMG]

Got my bumpers kinda figured out bolts spun wrinkled and flaked some chrome off. Got my tail lights and grill put in. Steering column kinda in, need to get it to shift right can't get the upper arm to move.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    brEad, chryslerfan55 and ebfabman like this.
  6. brEad, Woogeroo and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Ordered up a firewall insulator from Quiteride should be here in a couple weeks. They make it after you order it. Question is what clips do I use to put it on with?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. First time putting coolant in my Flathead & heater core. Just got it hooked up yesterday. Should I just run water and flush it out or put a 50/50 green coolant mix & see how it goes?Thanks for the help.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oldkrow, Rich B. and Baron like this.
  9. Do the wiring while it's blown apart. Add accessories as you go=lights/switches/do dad's.... Cut to fit AFTER wiring seem's a mile to long, and pieces are in.
    LQQKIN GOOD!

10. j51valencia

j51valencia

Run water to make sure their are no leaks. Looking really good.

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Yeah I think I will run water first see if any leaks then go with 50/50 green coolant.

My next plans are fill with coolant see if any leaks. Get fuel line ran maybe put in a inline fuel pump. Get exhaust ran, steering linkage working then do some wiring and dash put in.

12. j51valencia

j51valencia

13. No my friends Dad owns a exhaust shop

14. For thought= If you run straight h20- and you have a leak- how big do you think the leak will be? = a hose clamp,a loose fitting, etc..... and the million $ Q? if you have straight h20, are you going to be able/have the means to get it ALL out, and start fresh=zero? How much will be trapped in the block?.....
    Sacrifice coolant, find any unforeseen leeks, and be done.

1949 mercury likes this.
  15. cobramerc

cobramerc

Nice job those chrome bumpers really makes the whole car pop!

1949 mercury likes this.
  16. I think I’m going to put in 50/50 and see how it goes. Just try and make sure everything is correct before I do. Looks like my temperature sending units might be on the wrong side and make sure my heater core hoses are correct.

17. Thank you, chrome looks nice, now I need to start adding some color to the car.

18. I just got some distilled water green concentrate antifreeze and water wetter. Going to get gauges after I see if there are any leaks. Need to get a 4lb Rad Cap also.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    brEad likes this.
  19. So not to bad only had one leak. The left side water neck has a crack in it. Let it run for a 1/2 hr. Small oil leak out the bottom of the dipstick.

chryslerfan55, Gotgas and j51valencia like this.
  20. IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1365.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

Got the motor running good new 180 T stats. Got the seats down and took 2 layers of seat covers off put the seats in and got some blankets from Cabo on our vacation. Put the mirrors on steering column in, just doesn’t shift quite right 2nd & 3rd shift good 1st & reverse are hard because of the column. Put the dash in a couple times. Pulled the wiper motor apart cleaned it up & got a couple new parts and put it in, stayed with the vacuum. Best part is i drove out of the shop under its own power for the first time in 16 years. Getting ready to get exhaust this week then glass put in.

21. Nice build, coming right along.
    Who did you use for the chrome plating?
    Thanks for the well documented build thread.

1949 mercury likes this.
  22. I used Bumper Depot for my bumpers everything else I have just washed up and maybe get it redone later on down the road. Trying just to get it to be a cool driver for now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. looks great

1949 mercury likes this.
  24. Bmac40Ply

Bmac40Ply

25. Getting exhaust put on this weekend. Reds headers & porter mufflers 1.75 out the back.

Baron and mario711 like this.
  26. Great job your doing , will be watching for the conclusion over the next while . Let's hear it when you get her home !

1949 mercury likes this.
  27. Took my car up to a buddies house to get exhaust, my shifter issues, breaks, Door stop & lower the rear 3” hopefully be able to drive it up and down the road when I get it back. Then I have a guy coming over to look at putting some glass in it.

Squablow likes this.