Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1948 Pontiac Build (A little bit custom and a whole lot faster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JAWS

JAWS

Man, the possibility of a subtle chop? What I would do to this car....I love the lines.

2. gatz

gatz

those old "fastbacks" look neat.

What's the mechanism driving the windshield wiper(s)

Looks like there might be a gear-train / bevel gear, or small chain inside the plated housing?

[​IMG]

3. There's a small chain drive inside the wiper towers, nice to see and well-workin' if the chain is adjusted and freshly oiled. just repaired mine. Speters, something new on the Poncho?

4. FrankyV8

FrankyV8
    from Holland

Been reading the complete story now, all I can say is what a cool car, really like the fastback model
    Going to follow this story from now on. Keep at it!

5. speters

speters

Lately I have been collecting parts and working on other cars. A customers car took the Pontiac's spot in my home garage. We picked up a driver to cruise around in and bring to the Hot Rod Fallout and progress continues on the truck. I scored big with a NOS grill as well NOS front and rear aprons, NOS radiator support and a few other goodies. The nailhead is rebuilt and is ready to get all dressed up with new shiny parts and paint. As soon as the customer car is gone I can get back on the Pontiac frame work. Just need to fix a few electrical issues and it will be gone.

6. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats, one of my fave rides ever. Sorry to hear the orig trim is going away, has good value even if pitted, so please resell it. The bumper overiders are awesome also. These cars just have so much stylin trim with excellent character. The big nailhead looks like a way cool choice. Dig it man. ~sololobo~

7. speters

speters

Not all the trim is going. Just scaling it back a little. The "waterfalls" are staying as well as the belt and rocker trim. The side window surround trim is leaving as well as the trunk license plate mount and the silver streak badges. The door to fender spears are still up for debate.

8. Reijer

Reijer

Lovely project! Is this the same frame and body (minus the dog house) as a Chevy Fleetline?

9. speters

speters

It is close to the fleetline but not the same. The pontiac had a longer wheelbase (122" vs 115" I believe) Pontiac made all the trim work such as bumpers and aprons a little different as well.

Here is the NOS grill sitting in my office
    [​IMG]

10. ;)Yep, the Streamliners are 122" wb, the Pontiac Torpedos used the same body (Fisher A-body) as the Chevys and also had the 119" wb.

man, that grille is a nice score, very rare! also the aprons are not often to find, had some work to fix mine. good to hear about your decision about the waterfalls, just painted my rear one black between the ribs as it was org. and it looks grrrrr..

Greets, good to hear you're nearly back at the Chief!

Carsten

11. Reijer

Reijer

Thanks fellas.

12. 48ponchocoupe

48ponchocoupe

Nice score on the grill! I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want to do with my coupe. I've got access to a 401 nailhead ("Wildcat 445") that I'm considering using. What are you plans for the front end when you install the nailhead?

Jim

13. speters

speters

Front end will be bagged, dropped uprights, stock steering and scarebird disc brake kit

14. speters

speters

It has been a while since I updated so here are some new pics

I decided to add some welds to the front end for strength
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mid repair
    [​IMG]

Waiting to go on
    [​IMG]

Ready to paint
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could not wait so I mocked it up
    [​IMG]

This should add some strength
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last patch needed
    [​IMG]

That is better
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. speters

speters

Time to box the frame
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before and after on the new Eelco valve covers
    [​IMG]

16. speters

speters

Next it is time for the notch and 4 link

17. Lookin good! It's a lotta work, eh? I wouldn't toss that old grille just yet. I've had really good luck cleaning up the backside [low-pressure sand blast with front taped off] and start with an SOS pad on the front side, following up with rubbing compound and a nice coat of wax...I know you found and bought that NOS grille but if it ever gets damaged, you might want to have a back-up grille. I think you can save your old one. I saved mine after my car sat about 15 years outside before I found it.
    And earlier you asked me how my car rode after I lowered it. I cut 2 full coils from the front coils and it was alright unless I hit a big pothole...center of crossmember sat a little low and would occasionally scrape on a really crowned road. Guy I sold it to put a nova sub under it and raised it a bit..he lived on a gravel road.

Attached Files:

18. speters

speters

I need to post more pictures of the old grill if you think it is worth saving. More than 25% of the metal is GONE!

[​IMG]

19. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That motor is a thing of beauty. You're doing an awesome job. I love the thoroughness.

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

Not trying to be disrespectful... but these welds don't have good penetration, that's why they look like caterpillars. :(

[​IMG]

21. speters

speters

I know they could have better penetration. There were a lot of contaminates to contend with because of the crap stuck in the seams. I also purposely built the weld up higher because of that seam. Thanks for looking out for me

22. castleman1111

castleman1111

hey!! how are you going to get to the body mount bolts now that you are boxed in??? someone boxed mine in ...that's what made me ask...a.

23. speters

speters

Plan is to drill through the bottom of the rail and run long bolts

24. castleman1111

castleman1111

soundz good to me!!

25. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Nice to see some progress.

Thats a good looking nailhead

26. speters

speters

Thanks I have been painting more parts to the motor and I ordered bolts yesterday. I am on the prowl for some air cleaners... Any suggestions?

27. speters

speters

one option...I am running these on my dad's truck but I can't find another set
    [​IMG]

28. speters

speters

painted the water pump and fuel pump to try and match the powder coated stuff, also finished the Eelco valve covers
    [​IMG]

the powder just has a little more metallic flake to it

29. speters

speters

cal custom 40 40s???

[​IMG]

30. chaddilac

chaddilac

Someone on here offers those... search the for sale threads!