Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1948 Pontiac Build (A little bit custom and a whole lot faster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Jul 20, 2011.

1. speters

speters

Major progress this weekend!!!!

Shot of the grill, radio and optional heater out
    [​IMG]

Pile building on the bench, time to move stuff upstairs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear glass out
    [​IMG]

Front glass out
    [​IMG]

Most of the passenger window out
    [​IMG]

Front clip is gone
    [​IMG]

Out in the rain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Door sides off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash out
    [​IMG]

What should I do with the steering wheel? Who rebuilds then?
    [​IMG]

How do I get the door glass out? The regulators are out and the glass is free but this trim piece is stopping it from coming out the top
    [​IMG]

The screw pinning the door handle is stripped and I am not sure what to do...I really don't want to drill it out
    [​IMG]

Another pile building
    [​IMG]

Engine mount in the front...YOU'RE NEXT Soon I will pull the motor!!!
    [​IMG]

2. 52Poncho

52Poncho

Great Poncho!
    Good luck on the build, post when you can.
    I will be following with interest. :cool:

3. Nice project. My first car was in worse shape than yours. You can do it!! Keep us posted. Todd

4. jivin jer

jivin jer

How saveable is that grille? Do you plan on chromeing it?

5. speters

speters

Thanks for the encouragement! I have come to terms with how difficult this thing is being and I am just enjoying the process!

That large grill piece is all riveted together. The bottom half of it is really bad. I will being looking for one in better shape. Saving this one would take a crazy amount of work. I will post some detailed pics of the grill when I start ordering parts and working through it all.

6. Looking good! Don't forget to "bag and tag" all those parts so you'll remember where they all go later.

7. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Yours is a 'B' body (Pontiac 28) going by firewall pressings. That screw you need to move is tapered and goes into the cam in the lock assembly that the door handle slides into. I had similar issues when disassembling mine and ended up using penetrating oil. Try drilling it out with an 1/8" drill bit and work up size. Chevs of the 40's sell them. Once you drilled it, slowly try an easy-out to break it loose. Once this is done, the handle comes out. My handle was rusted solid and I had to cut it off and then cut the door frame to access the door lock assembly :eek:. I was able to find another handle but only do this as a last resort. Door frame was easy to weld back up but it hurt doing it in the first place.

www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/8907/Chevrolet_TAPERED_SCREW_RETAINS_OUTSIDE_HANDLE.html

Insofar as glass is concerned, I just looked at my Fisher body manual and it jogged a few brain cells. you need to remove the ventilator glass division channel that is attached by screws and a retaining screw with lock nut in door frame. Drop the glass and remove the division channel assembly. From memory I removed the window winder assembly and slid it off the runners on the window sash channel attached to lower edge of glass. Glass needs to be raised to almost closed to disengage the winder assembly. Hold the glass and remove the winder assembly and glass should come out through the top door opening with a bit of jiggling. You may need to remove the outside fuzzy as the inside fuzzy is attached to the garnish mold.

Definitely bag and tag, take plenty of photographs as you may need them later. ;)

If you do rechrome anything, be prepared as it costs $$$$. I did mine over a few years to spread the cost and OUCH, it does cost $$$ to get it done properly.

Also that engine is HEAVY, my 6cyl Olds flattie with cast iron hydro wasn't exactly light when I pulled it. From what I've been advised, all glass in 'A' and 'B' bodies is the same above the belt line and won't interchange with the larger 'C' bodies.

Could I suggest getting hold of a Pontiac Workshop manual and a '46-48 Fisher Body manual, worth the $20 each on E-Bay IMHO as it saves a lot of grief and makes diss-assembly and reassembly so easy.

As for your steering wheel is concerned, I'd look for another. I had mine pearled to match the car and again it wasn't cheap. Mine is a work in progress and was in reasonably good condition to start with which was a bonus. Trying to keep mine as authentic looking as possible. :D

Attached Files:

9. speters

speters

Thanks for all the advice! This is exactly why I love posting a build on a great site like this one!

I am hoping that tapered screw will come loose and I don't have to do anything as drastic as you did.

Sounds like I need to slide the glass out of that channel, which is what I expected for an answer.

I know the chrome is going to hurt. Luckily the former owner had rechromed the bumpers now to long ago so that should not require as much bench work before they are re-dipped.

I really like the indian and the detail on this steering wheel, maybe I will get creative and use my manufacturing connections to roll and butt weld some steel bar, then weld it on to this steering wheel. Then maybe wrap it in leather???? We will see.

10. 64travelette

64travelette

Thanks for the detailed pics and descrption of tearing the rig down, I have a '48 4 door that I am going to get running and redo the interior and the pics help me prepare for getting into it. Thanks again! Keep us posted.

11. speters

speters

Since Irene decided to be nice to me and my house, I was able to work in my shop Sunday and yesterday. I continue to work towards having everything torn down.

Pulled the rear fenders...every bolt either snapped or had to be cut off
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Outer rockers came off
    [​IMG]

Passenger rear glass is out but I can't figure out how to remove the regulator
    [​IMG]

Driver rear glass is fighting me and may require some cutting. All the bolts won't budge and the gear teeth on the regulator for the handle is stripped.
    [​IMG]

Driver window is out but it took some cutting
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to start making progress toward cleaner finished parts. I am getting tired of rust all over my body.

12. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

You shouldn't have to cut big chunks out of your door to get the glass are regulator out. It got in there without cutting a hole in the door, it can come out without cutting a hole in the door.

13. speters

speters

I was able to get the passenger out fine, but the regulator was so frozen on the driver side that I could not wind it down to unbolt it.

14. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Cant wait to see more progress. Glad to hear youre leaning towards the trim.. and glad youre keeping the inside original looking. This car seems to be in good hands so far... ;)

Im happy Irene was easy on you and your home :)

15. speters

speters

Thanks 1951Streamliner! I love your Pontiac!

Hopefully I can get a bunch done this weekend! My goal is motor out and all the body bolts undone. Maybe get the last piece of glass out as well. Then I need to build a body dolly and find a bunch of friends to take the body off.

16. speters

speters

Motor Out!
    [​IMG]

Also pulled the column
    [​IMG]

Where did it go?
    [​IMG]

Outside
    [​IMG]

Now I will undo the body bolts and lift this thing off outside

17. speters

speters

I managed to remove 10 body mounting bolts so far today and I thought I was done.....then I saw 6 more booooo. I need to get more cut off wheels because these 6 don't look like they are going to play nice. I am soo ready to be done with tear down. I think I might leave the pontiac outside for now. I want to bring the Oldsmobile back here to work on it.

18. speters

speters

Anyone need that straight 8? I am not using it and it needs a good home.

19. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you leave it outside it might start to rust...:rolleyes:

20. speters

speters

4 days of rain in the forecast so I moved it in last night.

21. speters

speters

All the body bolts are gone now. Time to build a dolly for the body! Next time I go past the steel supplier I will grab some supplies. Do you think 1 1/2 tubing should cut it?

22. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'd use a sawzall or hacksaw. Tubing is really dull.:rolleyes:

23. Looks like a pretty solid project.

24. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

Cool project with the right name plate :D

25. speters

speters

By "cut it" I meant with 1 1/2 tubing be strong enough to build the body doll. I used angle iron to make the dolly for our truck cab but obviously this body weighs a lot more.

26. raidmagic

raidmagic

That's pretty fucking funny right there.:D

27. raidmagic

raidmagic

Save your money and make it out of 2x4's. Way cheaper than metal

28. speters

speters

Now that the Olds is driving it is time to get back to my Poncho!

Here are some pics I found of recent stuff I haven't uploaded

I was sanding down a few spots and in order to protect them I spayed on a little paint, then things just got out of hand and I ended up with this. Maybe black is the color?
    [​IMG]

My chrome guy said I can save some money by doing some of the prep work myself. Here I go
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't think I will save this one
    [​IMG]

And some new toys
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Glad to see this one get going again!! Care to share on what the "prep work" includes for the hood ornament? Mine needs it badly :(

30. 35flatty

35flatty
    from florida

if you still have motor let me know, thanks mikey in florida