Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1948 Desoto Custom Club Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lincolnlver, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Lincolnlver

Lincolnlver

I recently bought this 1948 Desoto Coupe from a fellow club member. It came without engine and tranny. The Interior is flat out pristine. The glass is all there. I was told when I bought it that there was a Ford Engine, I think 302. And someone along the way had tried to make a rack and pinion. But the plans for this ride is as follows: I want to remove this front end and replace it with a s-10 front end. The engine is I want and measure the compartment last night, Im thinking the LA 273 v8. 9R4 torqueflite would be clean. I was thinking of making this '40s ride into a "tail dragger" so my buddies and I will make our own 4 link. The rear end has seen better days but i need to get some measurements to find a good replacement. Later down the road, make my own skirts. I have NO intentions of chopping it, shaving, decking, etc. Then put WWWs with baby moons and beauty rings. Anyways, Thanks for Reading!

2. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Thats a real nice start on a cool ride, I like the interior.

3. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

heres some mopar rear end sizes.
    nice start!!:cool:

Attached Files:

4. 73RR

73RR

Leave the sock front alone. You can get disc swap kit from www.rustyhope.com and then go to fatman for dropped spindles.
    NO shortage of Mopar v-8 swaps with the stock steering box/column.
    If you must clip the front then look at the Dakota, at least the engine will be an easier install. A couple of Dak clips over at www.p15-d24.com

5. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Oh hell no.........All you need is a front shock relocation kit and a cav R&P with your disc brake kit of choice......rustyhope, scarebird, and AAJ all make good brake kits. And you will end up with a vastly superior IFS to the S-10. Also you won't have to fabricate new sheetmetal mounts for your front clip.:)

6. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Looks like a cool car. Would look fantastic as a late 40s era traditional custom aesthetically.

In my opinion, swapping front clips onto old cars just isn't worth the effort..