Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1931 Model A Coupe build thread - Inline six! In Alaska

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Leviman, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Leviman

Leviman

Well, not much of an update, but kind of a fun one!

I got some rollers on the back of the car. Got the wheels for free and the tires were layin around the yard. They're studded, I was thinking of grinding 'em out to wide white for fun. Wide white studded tires anyone? haha
    [​IMG]

Here they are by themselves. I mounted the tires myself. Dad picked up a tire machine at an auction, cool!
    [​IMG]

Also, I've got a line on an '88 Firebird T5 'core' aka blown up. Junkyard wants $150 for it. I figure I can rebuild it and or just use it for mockup for now. Also got an old cast iron saginaw for free. I just grabbed it because it was free, but now I'm lookin' to off it. Anyone local want it? Also, this thread might be a better fit for the traditionally 'styled' section if a mod wants to move it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Leviman

Leviman

Alright, long time no update. Because, well... not a lot has happened! I've kept busy doing other things of course (rebuilt a guitar), but the garage is still occupied by my brothers many projects. He just finished up a '65 Corvair that started out as a joint project, but he really had more time to dedicate to it, so he took it on full time. It's up for sale now and gorgeous! Here's the ad for anyone interested in pictures: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/4395309649.html

But! None the less, progress has been made in the parts acquisition department. Chiefly, in that I got the OHC 6 home!

[​IMG]
    Where it was sitting sinking into the ground.

[​IMG]
    Once we pulled it inside. The firebird in the background is the car it came out of originally. It's now powered by a 6.0l LS truck motor. Much faster than with the inline 6 haha

[​IMG]
    Pulled off the timing cover to check it out. Looks great! I recently did a timing belt on my subaru, it looked way worse (after only 80k miles and 8 years). Rubber quality certainly used to be better.

[​IMG]
    Then I also got the specific OHC 6 pontiac bellhousing that'll allow me to bolt the T5 behind it (with some finagling)

Next up, my brother went to the portland swap meet and picked up a dash for me!

[​IMG]
    '36 Ford, should work great with the '55 Ford radio I plan to put in the dash.

Oh what's that you say, '55 Ford radio?
    [​IMG]
    He scored this one for $30!! I Was so stoked on this, I love vacuum tube radios.

So once I got all that home, and after I got back from NAB for work (what a crazy convention that is), I dug into the radio a bit. I discovered that it has an issue with the power supply, as you may expect for a 59 year old radio! But, every single piece is entirely original and untouched, even original ford brand tubes. So I ordered all new electrolytic caps and a solid state vibrator, and that should get it up and running. Next after that, I plan to modify it so that I can send signal from my iPod into the amplifier portion of the radio via bluetooth! Maybe I'll do a little post about repairing the radio and modifying it for AUX in.

So tonight I cleaned up the face of it.

Here's the face before:
    [​IMG]

And After:
    [​IMG]

A pile of cleaned up parts:
    [​IMG]

And all put back together!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  3. Leviman

Leviman

4. Any progress?

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. AKGrouch

AKGrouch

All we have to do is pay through the nose for shipping. I swear that Speedway gets more for shipping than they get for the parts they sell.

Levi, we should get together and compare notes since we are both in ANC and both have 31 Ford Coupes. I just got mine back on the road from breaking the panhard bar bracket and a tranny rebuild. You should drop by the Sears parking lot on Thursdays at about 6:00 p.m. -- usually an impromptu show n shine and then a caravan to somewhere to eat. Weather permitting I plan on having my coupe there next week. Also there is a great preshow show n shine next Saturday evening at the McDonalds at Dimond and Jewel Lake and then go to the west end of the parkstrip on Sunday for the biggest car show in the state each year. Us motorheads take over the park strip all day that Sunday with 300 - 400 cars on the grass.....it's pretty cool and happens the first Sunday in August each year.

6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nice car, and nice plans.

Is this at your house?

What is that in the back ground?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1437888862.220490.jpg

Nice old truck?

Like the weber idea, I run a set of dellortos on my Volvo.
    They work so fine! You can do so much to match them to your car.

A little advice, if you haven't don't this before.

1. Get a base line for the jet, eighter from a guy with a similar setup, or do the math. There are formulas on the web to find the right jets, and then you adjust from there.

2. If your Venturi are the first size under, they are easier to adjust. But you loose a little on top end.

3. If you are going to run them in your self, I would recommend getting 6 vacuum gauges and some matching tubed. Then ground adjust all the idle mix screws, and adjust the strongest down to the weakest. And make sure the a mechanical synchronized beforehand.
    There is some good videos on YouTube on balancing carbs, and there should be some good advice out there.

Best of luck , and keep at it, lad!