Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang T-5 to a Flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead4d, Feb 20, 2007.

1. flathead4d

flathead4d

Just finished putting a 92 Mustang T-5 trans on my 8BA Flathead. You can check out the pictures on Photobucket.com Just enter the name flathead4d in the user name and the pass word shaboom.

2. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

looks like nice work!

how was the shifter location inside the car? it seems that with the shifter farther back like it is on the Mustang T-5 it would be a pretty good placement

now you need to write up the Tech on it step by step w/ pics. to school all who really want to do this

3. tjm73

tjm73

You probably shouldn't give out your username and password. Just link the pics. Photobucket makes it so easy to do.

Nice work by the way. I was just thinking about this today and wondering if I could put a Mustang T5 behind a '47 Flatty I have.

4. flathead4d

flathead4d

I've got bucket seats so the shifter is no problem. Not sure if it would work with the bench seat but might if it was all the way back. As for the password. It only allows guests to sign in, they can't change or alter anything that's posted. At least that's what photobucket says. John

5. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

I dont see it, Just the setup with the older toploader

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yeah - no T5 seen. Toploader - nicely installed.

7. tjm73

tjm73

Top center of the page.... "Sub Albums: T5 Trans to Flathead"

8. flathead4d

flathead4d

There are two albums there. You have to click on the heading that says T-5 trans to see the second one.

9. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

AWESOME where do I get that adapter? Any other special info needed about components to make it work? [email protected]

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

"A-ha", said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw!

Got it now - nicely done! Only one question - how is the trans indexed to the engine? Most engines either use the center hole for indexing & then dowel pins. With this plate, there is nothing registering in the bellhousing other than the bolts themselves. You could potentially lose your index between the plate & the bellhousing..

Like the clutch linkage!

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  11. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

ok I was bored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. flathead4d

flathead4d

The adapter plate is my own design. I laid it out and had a machine shop make it. It mounts to the bell housing using the two recessed bolt holes and the center hole was used for indexing. After it is mounted on the bell, the two bottom trans holes go directly into the bell also which stabilizes all three units.
    Note to Bondoboy: Thanks for posting the pictures but wrong trans. That's the one I took off.

13. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I think bellhousing indexing is slightly overstated for OEM combos - for a new scattershield or something, might be important - for fabricating your own adapter, I think it needs to be accounted for. The challenge with yours, however, is keeping the input shaft centered in the bellhousing - you have nothing, save the bolts, indexing a flat plate to the flat bellhousing mounting surface. There is a very real potential for torque to affect your input shaft alignment with this setup. This will likely appear as difficult 1-2 shifts, worn pilot bearing, & worn input shaft bearings - won't happen in a week or maybe even in a year (depending on usage), but I think w/o any indexing pins or shafts, you've opened the door to this type of problem.

The adapter plate I've got (bought - too lazy to have made) has a lip that registers in the original hole in the bellhousing & then has a recessed hole so the trans input can register in it - this guarantees the input shaft is concentric with the original input shaft based on the bellhousing. I then rely on the OEM bellhousing alignment pins to keep the bellhousing aligned with the crank.

The Offy adapter uses OEM alignment pins on the back of the bellhousing for indexing.

If it were me, I would index the input shaft to the centerline of the crank, then drill through the plate & into the bellhousing to install locating pins. This will ensure there is no vertical or lateral movement of the plate & bellhousing.

YMMV

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  14. tjm73

tjm73

I have a couple questions on this swap....

1.) Did you have to turn down the end of the input shaft or was there a pilot bushing that was the right size?

2.) What did you use for a clutch?

3.) Did you use the factory flywheel?

15. flathead4d

flathead4d

Used the stock pilot bushing (bearing) and had to cut 1/4" off of the end of the input shaft. If I had to do it over again, I would just make the adapter plate a 1/4" thicker. The clutch and flywheel are original flathead equipment but it is the 11" clutch usually used in the trucks. I don't see why you couldn't use the standard car 10 incher though. I went with the larger clutch because I have a heavy foot. LOL