Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang steering box? Mounting? Pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59elky, Jan 11, 2007.

1. 59elky

59elky

I am searching for a Mustang steering box for a Model A project. The frame is Zee'd 4" under the firewall so I want the box to mount under the frame and extend long enough to clear the split bones. I need the pitman arm to point up. Is there much differance in the 65-67 box and the 68 up box? Does one mount easier than the other?

How about posting some pics of mounting.
    Thanks

2. mustangsix

mustangsix

The box is the same with the same mounting holes, but the 65 to early-67 boxes had an integral steering shaft that was part of the box. The late-67 to 70 box has a separate steering shaft. Starting with the late-67 box the pitman arm shaft increased from 1" to 1 1/8" diameter. Other cars with similar boxes are the Comet, Fairlane, Falcon, Granada, Maverick, and Monarch.

The 71-73 Mustang uses a Saginaw style box that is completely different.

There are two different ratios. The manual box is 19:1 and in the Mustang is about 4 1/2 turns lock to lock. The GT and PS box have a faster 16:1 ratio and is about 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.

Speedway motors and others have a mounting plate.
    [​IMG]

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Pwr boxes can be used in a non-power mounting due to the Mustangs having a slave cylinder and a centerlink mounted control valve, correct?

Does the proper size non-power pitman arm bolt on in place of the power pitman arm?

4. mustangsix

mustangsix

The power steering is separate from the box on an early Mustang. You don't want to add PS to an early Mustang equipped with a manual box, though. The effort is too light.

The pitman arms will swap as long as you have the proper shaft diameter. IIRC, there are Mustang aftermarket pitmans for hot rod applications.

5. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I'm running a '68 Falcon box on my AV8. It isn't trad, but the way it drives I could care less. It was a power system, so the ratio is quicker. I love it. I'll try to post pictures later.

6. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

OK, here a couple of pics of the Falcon box on my AV8. It's pretty much the same box as a Mustang.

Attached Files: