Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang rear end widths

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammy, Mar 23, 2006.

1. slammy

slammy

Anyone know of a chart showing Mustang 8.8 rear end widths? I'd like to use one in a Shoebox Ford; and would like to find one with discs (needle in a haystack?)

Will this work, or am I forced to use the 8" out of a Maverick?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

The Mustang is 3/4" wider on each side than the Maverick.

3. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

4. slammy

slammy

Smokin' Joe -- is that true for the '80s and '90s 'stangs?

Upchuck -- Thanks. I actually have that chart; but I was looking for something similar for newer models -- '80s and '90s.

5. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Im using a 8.8 rear end out of a fox body mustang( 79-93 )and its 58 inches wide. It was the same width as the stock 54 chevy rear end,im using drums on mine though.

6. 65fsbk

65fsbk

My shoebox (51) has a rear end width of 57 inches, flange to flange...65/66 mustang (8 inch) was 57 1/4..there was a 9 inch in 65, but hard to find...also the early mustangs had tapered tubes....a bolt in swap would be a 9inch rear from a Versalis (sp)..you may have to re-weld the spring perches, but with this 9inch, its bullet proof, lots of gear selections, and came with factory rear discs...getting harder to find in the yards though..

Joe

7. 54BOMB

54BOMB

the axles in the 7.5 and the 8.8 are the same ( if they are 28 spline), all 94 and up mustangs have disc brakes ,some of the newer cobras have Independent Rear Suspension though, im sure you can piece something together from the junk yards, but some are 4 lug and some are 5 lug. I had a machine shop weld up the 4 lug and redrill the chevy 5 lug, works great and it only cost me 40 bucks. you can also get a disc brake kit from just about any mustang shop or from jegs or summit if you really want disc brakes. should be faily cheap and the 8.8 rear end is strong, depending on what horsepower want out of the motor you might not need to spend the extra cash on the 9 inch.

Marvin Keller likes this.