Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang rack an pinion steering on 57-60 f 100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pops90gt, Mar 8, 2012.

1. pops90gt

pops90gt

Has anyone tried or have put a Mustang rack an pinion steering on a 57-60 Ford truck with stock axle. I have been looking for attaching bracket, but also what would be wrong with just drilling two holes an spacing the rack out. Thanks:)

2. squirrel

squirrel

If you attach the rack to the frame, then you'll get some bump steer. If you attach it to the axle, then you need to have an articulating steering shaft.

I prefer to just fix the original stuff on my old solid axle trucks...it works ok. But if you have a really good reason to do it, then go for it. Just beware of what you need to do to make it work.

3. Orange Crate

Orange Crate

You will have to reverse the arms as the Mustang rack is front steer and your truck is rear steer. And as said you need a shaft that will slide up and down.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Then you can deal with the ackerman problems, AND the articulated shaft, not to mention unsprung weight adition too, and the fact that the rack came off of a car lots lighter than the truck... What are you trying to accomplish with this? The stock stuff for that truck works just great when it's properly set up and adjusted. People think of a rack and pinion as being some how "better", in actuallity, it's just a diferent way of steering.