Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang II power rack hose fittings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Rocket88

Rocket88

Are they anything special?
    I've got the fittings for the GM pump but have to get some fittings for the rack before I can get some hoses made.

2. old beet

old beet

Don't forget to use a restrictor with the G M pump and Ford rack!.........OLDBEET

3. Mustang II power rack should be pretty easy. Small port 5/16" inverted flare, is pressure and the larger 3/8" inverted flare is return.

You do not need a pressure restrictor if you increase your caster to 3* positive. Those racks are just numb feeling and all a restrictor will do is increase effort. IF you want to increase road feel and have better sensetivity switch to a FOX chassis Mustang or T-bird rack. Those do require special fittings.

4. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

5. Rocket88

Rocket88

Great info, thanks guys.
    I'm using the GM remote reservoir pump, I don't want the line to look like I stole them from a Massey Ferguson.
    Do I have to use OE fittings?
    I'll try playing with the caster first before installing the restrictor.
    Are caster settings any different between radial and bias ply tires?

6. You should be able to get hoses made up at a hydraulic hose supply house. If you want something special like braided try these guys www.gottashow.com

They offer a nice kit that works really well,

[​IMG]

Try three degrees first. Bias ply tires are called hard carcass tires and don't squirm like radials to. They typiclay don't need as much caster to track well so you may want to decrease camber, angle of lean in or out at the top, to 0 degrees. I have run up to 4 1/2 degrees on a manual rack MII front end, made it hard to steer but that sucker would stay straight at 140!

It has always made me nervous when I see other manufacturers give out alignment specs regardless of application. I have seen alignment specs come in at 0 to .5 degrees positive caster which seems awfull light. Just a quick scan of an alignment book will show you most modern caster setting at an average 2+ degrees positive. In this case 2-3 Degrees positive caster and .5 degrees + to 0 camber is pretty genernal and should work here. I would also decrease toe in a bit, some where around an 1/8".

7. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The flow control valve in some cases will be needed. The Ford rack only wants about 900 - 950 psi, and the GM pumps can put out 1200-1400 psi. The caster is a for sure at 3-4 degrees, but if you don't cut the pressure back it can push fluid right past the seals. It all depends on the pump. Don't cut the spring in the pump, and don't put in an adjustable control valve. Either buy a pre-set valve,(about $40.) or buy the shim kit(about $15.) and do it the way GM did at the factory.

8. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a new aftermarket MII type rack, odds are it is already compatible with the GM pump. I agree with ElP, Gotta show has nice stuff if you want braided, if not, heatshrink it.

9. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

None of the aftermarket racks are directly compatible with the GM pump. The ones from Flaming River are ment to be sold with their pump and hose kit which has been pre-set by them. The Rack that ElP is recomending is much better than the original MII racks as far as road feel, but is still revolves around how good your pump is. We have found some pumps to put out 1400 psi, and will blow the seals right out of the rack, and give you that loosey goosey feel on the highway.Again to refer to ElP, the caster is way more important than most people think. I get calls all the time from people complaining about their car not driving right, and the first thing I ask is if they have had a real alignment, and the answer is almost always no, or yea, my buddy does these all the time. I have had the opportunity to question the "buddys', and most of them don't have a clue what they are doing, or they go by the stock MII specs, which don't work. Front suspension geometry is a gray area to most people building cars today, but if you ask the right people the right questions, you will usually get the right answers!

10. Tman

Tman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I dont know shit.;)