Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mustang II Brakes will not stop OK keyboard Mechanics your time to shine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodhomework, Aug 21, 2019.

1. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Update we are waiting on a Electric vacuum pump. The up28 is on its way from the great Amazon. I’ll talk my friend into ordering the vacuum pump 14 inches of vacuum is just not enough

6-bangertim likes this.
  2. wandi harry

wandi harry

getting a good firm pedal is what is needed before I would worry about the composition of brake pads.
    Have you tried isolating the front or rear system ? might give a bit of an idea if one system is the problem one

s55mercury66 likes this.
  3. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I have not but I have remove both lines from the master cly and in installing plugs in the master cly test the master cly to see if we could pump pressure against the plugs it would not . I rebled the master and found very small amount of air in the master but after the test but did not test it with the plugs installed. Then we bled the whole system again. Nothing changed. I am going clamp of they rear line ( it the only rubber one in the system) and drive it to see. I am tied of bleeding brakes.
    Me and him are going to give all this a rest. We got about 20 hours in this brake system and not any better.

4. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I thought I found air this is going to fix it but that is not the case.

5. I fail to understand when there is one of these threads why there is no logical diagnostic process, the master would not build pressure so let’s just bleed it and throw parts at the rest of the system. Plug the master see if it build pressure. Hook up one side of the system see if it builds pressure. Brake systems are not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If the master, plugged, won’t build pressure, stop there. You’ve got junk.

If this thing has steering, there must be rubber lines to the fronts too. A coupler, a flare nut, and a short length of crimped tubing can be used to plug parts of the system to see where you’re losing pressure. A brake pressure gauge would be nice to have for this kind of thing.

I once spent a couple of weeks on a similar problem, was buying brake fluid in bulk.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray and gimpyshotrods like this.
  7. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I was making 900 psi at the calipers so the master was making pressure I would like see a 1000 or close to it. If you go to 1 bore master it increase it about 980 to 990(close to 1000) so I tried it but Pedal stroke was to long.
    I reinstall the first master(1 1/8 bore) that is where I got some air in the master. I applied a logical process not a throw parts at it process but I did not get the pressure at the rear rear wheel cly. But 900 psi at the front should stop a car. A friend has a truck with the same set up and has 900 ft and 650 at rear and it stops great.

8. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

9. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

900 psi front Braided steel flex brake lines front and rubber rear. Can not clamp off the braided steel lines on the front will damage them but I can block off the rear rubber line have not done that yet. Read the first post.

wandi harry likes this.
  10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not seen any mention of bench bleeding and the master has been swapped at least once and also removed (I assume) from the booster when the clearance was checked, so is it 'bench bled' each time? ie do we know for sure there's no air trapped in the master - small principal as the caliper bleeders holes mentioned earlier, but usually no means of getting it out other than by temporary re-orientation.

And I've reread the first post ;) but not re-read the whole thread. Don't bite the hand!!!!!!!!

Chris

11. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

We are
    Bench bleeding each time every master is changed. We had a young helper that let the master go empty while we were bleeding as we were talking it over he admitted that he did so that is where the air came from. It is the smallest things that are over looked that can bite you. I know it is a lot to read. I apologize for the hand biting

12. Check this out ,,,
    If / you stuck a gauge in and get 900 psi
    If/ you swapped to 1” bore and increase pressure to 980
    If/ you experience better low speed but poor hi speed slowing with that swap -

Then I believe that you’re looking at a friction problem. Check the rotors well, check the pads.
    Look for glazing and you might even refinish the rotors. Look for fluid stained pads,,,
    Try new better pads they are quick and easy, $25.00 usually.

You can bet your ass that helix kit has nothing but the absolute cheapest parts available to the human race.

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

with my system everything new it took a while for the pads/discs to bed in.not 100%of the pad surface in contact with the discs.got better as the miles went up.feel fine now.combination of fatman/GM calipers 11" vented discs,Kugel pedal assembly,8"double booster ,1" bore master cylinder

14. Sure glad there was discussion, and the helper admitted the master going empty. I ran in to that too often when I was working. People were afraid to admit something for fear of getting in trouble, and I always used to tell them that we're just trying to find the root cause, and correct the problem, not lay blame.

15. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Update installed the up28 vacuum pump that was recommended and Drumroll

It didn’t help. Still crappy brakes.
    My friend order new master and booster. He is going to try “name brand” set up.
    I am going say it is not going fix it but I will help him try anything he wants to do. I do not think 900 psi enough to stop the car. I would like to see 1100 to 1200 psi at the calipers. The only thing I know that can produce that kind of pressure with this set up is a hydroboost but he will not try one because he is not done with the vacuum booster setup he has got to try it one time Talk about throwing parts at something.
    My hands are tied on some of the stuff I would like to do as in turn rotor, new pads and turn drums new rear shoes.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Hydroboost on my Falcon. If you were not wearing your seat belt, you'd go through the windshield.
    IMG_20181104_152153.jpg

Shadow Creek and nunattax like this.
  17. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

@gimpyshotrods is that a mustang unit? I’m trying to decide which hydroboost unit to run on my project

18. Pads are cheap,,,,
    And easy
    And 900 psi should stop a car

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing 53 Mercs had 11" rear brakes. When I replaced the rear end on my 56 I told the shop to find 11" for the 8.8. They came on F-150's and are bolt on and wider. I took out the 1" wheel cylinders and replaced with 15/16" My pedal had a 5-1 ratio and I used a 7/8" MC and true 4 piston calipers.(Wilwood) No need for a power assist vacuum can.
    You also need to adjust your prop valve to slide the rear tires on fast reaction then back it off. Good Luck

48fordor likes this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GMC.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"Corvette style" master cylinders are 4 wheel disc master cylinders. you may have issues beyond that.

bobss396 likes this.
  22. The only difference between disk and drum masters, given the same bore size, is reservoir size.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truth.

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

Is the booster check valve OK . It should lock in the highest vacuum the system has seen sense the last time the brakes were applied deceleration vacuum will be higher than the 14" at idle.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless it has a big-assed vacuum leak!

26. Did you ever measure the line pressure generated with the hydro boost?
    He’s at 900 psi (at the caliper I’m guessing) and still can’t stop.

27. BigChief

BigChief

Did you pull the MC off the booster and verify that the booster push rod is adjusted correcly for minimal gap?

Also some of the MC have inserts that fill the relief in the MC piston for the booster pushrod to sit in/engage. If there's too much gap you wont get enough stroke inside the MC regardless of pedal stroke. ..and the booster can fool you because you wont feel the excess free pedal caused by the excess gap. Verify that you have almost instant action in the MC when you move the pedal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

DIYGUY likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over 1200psi.

David Gersic likes this.
  29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See post #44.

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

In my web investigation of brake line pressure the number 1200# comes up a lot as a standard pressure to achieve. It would be nice to know what weight vehicle that would apply to. Seems to me a much lighter car/truck or hot rod would work just fine with a little lower pressure assuming that number was meant for a factory produced passenger car or truck................................