Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mustang II Brakes will not stop OK keyboard Mechanics your time to shine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodhomework, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

That's way to much ratio and reduces the stroke. Too much ratio, too little vacuum and little else helpful in claiming Hoffman crap is the cause.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Hoffman crap likely WAS the cause with the initial build. Maybe not so much now after several replacements and alterations.

Ray

3. wandi harry

wandi harry

Thats a huge amount of travel, the pedal ratio will probably exaggerate any free play

sunbeam likes this.
  4. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I put the petal ratio back to 5.3 : 1 Did not really make that much difference to have it at 7:1

5. wandi harry

wandi harry

I know its basic stuff and you would have done it but when we re placed shoes or messed with brakes go with the ABC , adjust , bleed then check

6. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I can come to a complete stop apply the brakes in gear and give it gas and power through. The brakes will not hold the car.
    Now I can get rear brake to lock up if I press the pedal extremely hard say in the 180 to 200 lbs of pedal pressure range. I not going to do any more driving tonight because of the neighbors. I am making a lot of noise. I got to be nice.

wandi harry likes this.
  7. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

master cyl bore too large

49ratfink and 34toddster like this.
  8. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Already tried a 1 inch bore low speed stopping got better hi speed stopping worst.

9. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Yes it was. I put back to 5.3:1

10. squirrel

squirrel

I would try no booster, 7:1 pedal, 1" mc bore, and make sure the rear brakes are 10" at least, and the fronts have the right calipers.

I have very little experience with the little aftermarket boosters, but none of it has been good.

I do have experience with manual disc/drum brakes, they do work....

11. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

That is what I wanted to do first but my friend wanted to keep the booster.

12. alumslot

alumslot

I just helped a friend with the same problem. We bled almost 3 quarts of brake fluid no AIR no where in the lines still wouldn't stop very hard pedal. All finally did was to make the pin between the booster and the master cylinder about 1/4" longer and had GREAT brakes after that. It worked for him.

Jim

13. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

I checked when I changed master cylinder I used the tool that a friend had. Got it at .040 thousands

Hnstray likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are they the kind that has the insert that goes in the piston, that allows it to be used in a manual, or power application?

If so, do you, or do you not have the insert in there?

15. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Inserts are in place

16. I knew from the thread title there would be a Corvette-style master in the mix.

17. QUOTE="squirrel, post: 13213700, member: 3595"]I would try no booster, 7:1 pedal, 1" mc bore, and make sure the rear brakes are 10" at least, and the fronts have the right calipers.
    I have very little experience with the little aftermarket boosters, but none of it has been good.
    I do have experience with manual disc/drum brakes, they do work....[/QUOTE]

I keep it real simple and my cars stop well. I have an old Ford, GM discs up front, stock 11" drums out back. Manual '72 Mustang 1" bore master and an aftermarket proportioning valve with a rear bias adjuster. I set the push rod length the same as the old master I took out and have never touched the brakes since. The rod is in the stock position for manual brakes. You start putting together parts with no pedigree that do not play well together and you may have a different outcome. A power booster throws another whammy into it, especially the small 7" & 8" ones. I did a swap into a '65 Belair, dual master and drum brakes, I wanted to get rid of the single master and figured power brakes would be cool. I got a rebuilt stock master-booster locally, probably an 11" booster. Guess what, it stopped great.

upspirate and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  18. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where is the intersection between the pedal and the rod to the booster/master relative to the pedal pivot? It wants to be at something like 4 o'clock passing through to about 8 o'clock when the brakes are applied. If it it's set up to start at say 6 o'clock there isn't enough travel applied to the brakes for them to work properly despite the pedal continuing to travel.

I'm assuming an under floor arrangement and not a swinging pedal.

Chris

anothercarguy likes this.
  19. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

You might see if a more aggressive brake pad compound is available for your calipers. We had a similar situation on a car with Wilwood discs all around. Changed to a different pad and made a huge difference.

20. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

Did you verify that the calipers were on the correct side? Those symptoms are exactly what happens when air is trapped above the bleeder. Car stops but can't lockup and pedal goes farther down than it should, no air bubbles when you bleed.

Country Joe and Jackalope 325 like this.
  21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Excellent Thread And I Actually Learned Something In My Senior Years...Thanks... IMG_0043.jpg

48fordnut and harpo1313 like this.
  22. Jackalope 325

Jackalope 325

onetrickpony beat me to it! I fought this on a friend's OT car last fall. After the calipers were replaced, he had the same symptoms as you. After a couple weeks (and 3 gallons of brake fluid) of trying everything, we got desperate and bought a second set of new calipers. Thank god, the helpful girl at the auto parts store wrote "left" and "right" on the boxes...

48fordnut likes this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

Cheap-assed front brake pads.........not 'metallic' not premium not 'ultimate' not the low dust/no dust...the cheapest Pep Boys sells..........are the best stopping pads!! Because they are the softest (I guess). No more miles than we put on these cars they will last for years too.
    Worked for me (and the stepped master cylinder!)
    6sally6

ClayMart and trollst like this.
  24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

In addition to everything else, and removing any Hoffman parts, check the pushrod to m/c clearance. Also, after overheating a set of brake pads, they wouldn’t stop worth a damn. Maybe some new pads are needed, depending on the history of the car.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I always use a Mustang 2 master cylinder on my disc/drum setups. They are cheap and are designed for your application. I use a speedway adjustable proportioning valve. Never even needed a power brake booster. Using one on my Avatar metric GM rotors and calipers and 11x2 1/2 drums. stops straight and true .
    Used one on my old Morris Minor with a Fatman Mustang 2 setup with Pinto rotors and calipers with drum rears. It had a frame mounted master cylinder , daily driver for 3 years no booster needed. DSCF0954.JPG

48fordnut and catdad49 like this.
  26. Not a ton of room anywhere for a booster!!

27. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Yes

28. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

It is a swing pedal not under floor

29. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

Y
    Yes the caliber bleeders are at the top of the calipers. First thing I checked

30. hotrodhomework

hotrodhomework

That something that we might need to do couldn’t hurt to have a softer set of pads