Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mustang Gas Tanks used in kustoms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrHavard, Oct 4, 2010.

1. I have seen a lot of guys on the Hamb using mustang gas tanks in the trunk pan of their kustoms. This looks pretty trick and I would like to do the same on my wife's 53 chevy. I have seen a few pictures of completed installations but can't seem to find any threads on here with some definitive installation details. I'm really interested in finding out how much bracing is required under the pan and how you guys have dealt with filler caps and venting. I tried searching this topic but didn't find anything. thanks in advance!

2. I did it my 50. Similar to a 53. You have to get rid of the spare tire well. I did not do any bracing. I used a filler neck and cap from tanksinc. I vented it though the bottom of the trunk. The only hitch is you meed a different fuel guage. The Ford and GM sending units used totally different ohm sending units. Todd

3. Thanks for the info about tanksinc. I had heard about the sending unit issue, I guess I can run a cheap Ford gauge for a while. Did your vent line come out of your filler neck?

4. I put one in the trunk of my 49 Plymouth. The spare well came out, I built a 1" x 1" square tubing surround, used a non-vented cap and vented the neck thru the floor. No gas smell in the trunk and no issues after 2500 miles.

5. Anyone have any photos of their bracing and venting? I have a buddy who is installing a tank in his '53 buick, I'll try to take some photos.

6. Here's some pis for ya!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Great Pics! Is that a brake line you used for the vent?

8. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Its a pretty straight forward install that even a novice can do.
    Buy the tank. Make up a frame for it.
    Drop it in and fasten it down.
    Ground it.
    Plumb the the line in steel.
    Install you filler.
    Install your sender and wire it up.
    Should not take more than a Saturday in your driveway

9. Yes.

10. axeman39

axeman39
    from Saco Maine

11. bringing it back up. moparman i have the same car pretty much. did your gas gauge work? and can you throw a pick up here? also i would like to see more finished pics please from everybody?

12. no, gas gauge does not work properly and I wish I knew how to make it right. pic of unfinished gas tank, I now have a new filler and it is vented out the bottom

Attached Files:

13. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I used a 17 gal RCI tank in the stock location. I think i posted pics once upon a time,.

14. I put a Mustang in my '64 Volvo. Used the '70 tank I believe - 22 gallons. I'll be filling it from the sill area.
    I cut out the tire well then made more sheet metal flange as was in the Volvo. The original tank was just a small version of a Mustang. The new tank was $128 to my door.

Attached Files:

15. Hellfish

Hellfish

I didn't use any bracing in my 59. No problem. I also didn't know I needed to vent it until I let a friend borrow it and he ran the tank dry and it collapsed! For the 5 years before that i never had a problem!

16. I used angle iron as a surround in mine, got rid of the spare tire well, and it was pretty straight forward after that. The perks of a mustang tank are: Its cheap, and if you bag your car it gives you a littttle bit more clearance with your tank, and its a new, clean, tank.

Oh, did I mention cheap?

17. How cheap is cheap? tanksinc wants something like 250. Where'd you get yours?

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

never saw this as a good alternative for 49 - 54's Chevrolets... especially when repop tanks are readily available. seems like a lot of work with nothing to be gained by it.

unless your trunk floor is all rotted to shit.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of reasons for using them are that they are readily available from a number of sources new for a reasonable price. They also tend to get the bottom of the tank up out of the way when used as the trunk floor in a lot of early cars that might otherwise have the stock tank damned close to the ground.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you can buy an original tank using the same few mouse clicks it would take to buy a Mustang one. I'm sure it costs more though..

21. Axeman, is your tank welded to the frame rails? Not sure how safe that is....maybe i'm seeing it wrong..?

22. Repop Chevy tanks are in the $200 range... cheaper I think for plain steel with no extra features.

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here is mine.Its not a mustang tank,its 66' comet.The dimensions of the tank are pretty much same than on the mustang tanks,only the filler tube is located to the right corner,not center like on mustang tanks.

[​IMG]