Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

1. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

That was nice of him, it's a very nice Jeep I must say.

els and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. Porknbeaner.You just aint right.LOL.That why we all love you here.LOL.Bruce.

tb33anda3rd and els like this.
  3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Steffen, car shows in the USA brings out too many Scheisskopfs.

Gary

els and Steffen Jobst like this.
  4. I sometimes open the hood on my cars at shows. I have put in a lot of time cleaning & detailing the engine and some people appreciate that, so if you don't take a photo of it I'm fine with that. Didn't really build it for photographers, built it for me.

Mick

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has been great reading makes me laugh and with others I can write stories about what I've seen and what's happened to me.
    I will share 3 and sorry one is a pet peeve of mine.
    Angle parking..as it progresses each guys in line showing up sticks the nose out farther so soon no one can get by. I guess they are just "special".
    All our local Friday nights and Sunday mornings have become new Mustang showrooms.
    Since I usually drive our 56 Victoria, it's always great to hear stories about the ones their parents or others in their families have owned in the past. That's what makes my outings.

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They ask me all the time, "How much did you pay for it? These F100s are going for 5, 6K, all rusty, no engine, etc.
    How much?"
    I tell the truth. "Sixty bucks." You oughta see the looks. 'Bewilderment? Astonishment?' Yeah, both.

els and 31hotrodguy like this.
  7. wvenfield

wvenfield

My dog bitches all the way home about the cars that win the trophies so, yeah, he stays home.

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Interesting read, lots of unhappy grumpy old?, Men bitchin about car shows and people. I still like car shows, people and enjoy talking with fellow car nuts and spectators (cars are my hobby and social outlet) with some exceptions, it's easy to walk away from an "expert" telling me what's wrong with my car. Have to agree that respect, courtesy has faded with time in general in all aspects of life. I have posted stories about "stupid things happening" most outrageous, a fat biker broad sitting on the cowl of my Roadster at a show, (car was near stage with others as props for concert) using windshield for backrest and radiator/shell for her foot rest.( That deal had me on the rev limiter) The fun/good, still outweighs the bad for me and hope to be going till my time exspires. Everyone, Have a Great Day !

els and wraymen like this.
  9. 160425E-TypeS1.jpg 160417MercCstm'56.jpg 141123'35Tub4'.jpg

Gman, come to our shows. Knowledgable by a fair degree, with the smattering of folks newer to the scene. These are but three of dozens of pictures I paint AT THE SHOW. I pick up a lot of work this way. At 90% of shows I am uninvited- people are beyond good in their tolerance of me and my streetwise ways. I love the kids with their funny questions and ways- and shootin' the breeze with blokes is cool. And I love pretty women. I have to be VERY careful with my kit at shows- no-one wants paint scratches.

'What do you do for a living?', 'is this a hobby?'- I get it quite often. I'm diplomatic. They may one day want a picture.

Folks go about livin', and most are pretty amazing.

But yeh, please chill with the Nickelback on the stereo. Yeccch..

10. I'm pretty much anti car show. Who wants to blow a day in the heat when I'd rather be on the beach with a beer in my hand? At least I can go for a swim and cool off. Cruise nights are a lot better for me. I can come and go as I please and most are in cooler evenings. My car does attract women. I always give them the offer to try it on for size and many do take me up on it. I let little kids look at it close, the paint is primer so I'd never notice another scratch or more. I spill beer on it, some blood too now and then.

11. Was that the one where her "old man" scolded her for getting on your car? Love that one. This would be a perfect thread for a re-telling.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt, els and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. 32owner

32owner

Happened to me this weekend guy and his young kid came around my 32 she ran her hand all down my car and the went to my wife's 29 and the girl jumped up on the fender ahead of the running board. I yelled at the guy and he just took the girl off the fender and walked away. the guy turned out to be a city council member so neither car got judged, last time at that show.

els likes this.
  13. Spoggie,
    Very nice work, that Jag looks fantastic.

lothianwilly71, els and Spoggie like this.
  14. wicarnut

wicarnut

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think part of that is "being where you shouldn't be". Those are people who've been taught to respect other peoples things. By catering to their inner desire, you're letting them relax a little and enjoy the moment. When I was in my pre-teens, a moment like that could have been a game changer. Probably would have gotten into old cars a lot sooner.

16. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Yesterday I was on a car show - and what shall I say: Although many had their hood open I was able to make some cool pics:

19984067_10154799054205835_4483697665513482127_o.jpg

els, wraymen, 31hotrodguy and 3 others like this.
  17. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

That'llmakeyourdicksoar or sore.

els likes this.
  19. Beaner hes lucky you didn't put your boot up his butt.Good story though.LOL.Bruce.

els likes this.
  20. Oilguy.The hipsters are trying to move in with their new cars.LOL.Bruce.

els likes this.
  21. Clunker .I remember that story.Wasnt it with that FAT biker chick laying on his car???LOL.Bruce.

Clay Belt and els like this.
  22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was mentioned above, cruise nights. By and large they can be more satisfying vs an all day commitment to a static show. What's real nice about it is you just drive away when the mopes get to ya. I suppose I miss the days when we'd hit a 1/2 dozen or more hot spots in the hot rod looking for race victims. Still, in spite of all the BS and rude attendees a good day at a show is better than a bad day at work, no? The single anomaly that always leaves me scratching my head is the guy or couple who show up and dis the most exclusive or valuable of cars in the show. When you least expect it they'll show up and sometimes openly express their disdain. While mainly at concours events when I've seen this I seem to always be in a position to bite my tounge and maintain my composure due to the exhibitor's proximity or maybe their judging us or the one close by. The reaction is a natural "Then what the fuck posessed you to buy a ticket?" A solid question, yes? I've shared before about the old sot who wanted to know value. I wouldn't say but answered his "...how long to restore..." where he replied "I dare say, wouldn't that pay for a few college educations?" I replied "Fuckin eh, paid for mine." and he walked off. A win. Hey, at least I was honest. No matter what we've all read in this topic I stand by the idea that car folks in general are the nicest people on the planet. Look how well some of us get along and many times are total strangers to each other beyond some earnest conversation on a public board. I mean really, in today's vernacular that's the shit right there, yes? That "thing" will be there in person too and seems best when you're not looking for it. Sure, some of us are just dicks, assholes at times too, but it doesn't mean a thing. It's that walk the walk, talk the talk thing. I said earlier the most important rule of etiquette was have fun, but if we didn't like this shit we'd not be there in the 1st place.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Mike I like that answer If you know the price It gives you an indication of how much of the work is actually their's. If you have a $30,000 car and the guy bought it for $30,000 not much of the car is his work. It's kind of like the new Corvette at the show. I tend to appreciate the work done more than the car.

els likes this.
  24. models916

models916

Anybody points out something about my car, I always ask "Oh, where's your car? I'd like to take a look." Usually shuts them up.

25. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

When I point out something wrong - like billet stuff on a "traditional" rod - at somebodies car, and he asks "Oh, where's your car? I'd like to take a look.", I tell him I have no car but the stuff on his car is still wrong.

Spoggie, j3harleys and els like this.
  26. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

At the street show in Golden a couple years ago, Mom, Dad & the 12 ? yr old son are walking down the street. they pass newer rides, and get near mine. 34 Ford 5 window, all steel & primer, next to a 34 Ford pickup. The kid blurts out " These are the kind I really like" I take that opportunity to let the folks know that the son has great taste in cars and ask if he might like to sit in it. Their jaws drop, the son gets the biggest smile & climbs in. Dad takes pictures and asks some good questions. I hope I boosted his enthusiasm for oldies. I dont mind when I find some sticky hand prints on the door, just some kid checking out what he may want later in life.

27. LMAO absolutely correct.

I once got in trouble in school and I said, "Well what about Willy he was doing . . ." the teacher just said, "Well that's red herring"

I still had to stand in the corner. ;)

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just keep my opinions and comments to myself unless I'm asked - nobody really gives a crap about my opinion anyway.

My favorite time at a show was 30-years ago. I had an old, unrestored '37 Chevy sedan at a show. There was an older gentleman with a white cane and a younger guy (grandson (?) with him. The older gentleman asked if he could touch my car and I said "Of Course". He felt around the sheet metal with his finger tips and then told me exactly what it was, just from the feel. That was the only way he could enjoy the hobby and he gave me a new look on things.

The worst (and last) show was the one I returned to my car and found a big blob of ketchup, mustard & relish drying on my front fender. That did it for me.

els, Bruce Fischer and Steffen Jobst like this.
  29. 2935ford

2935ford

I always tell those types........
    A dollar 2 95
    It takes them awhile but they finally get it and I get to enjoy that strange look on their faces before they do!:)

els and Bruce Fischer like this.
  30. wsdad

wsdad

You know, I've never had a naked person scratch my car at a car show.

But with all the studs and piercings, I just don't think it's a good idea any more.

Sent from my ahooga horn using Morse code.

Clay Belt, 47ragtop, Spoggie and 4 others like this.