Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Murphy & The "El Matador" 2012 Update & Sale...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonnie King, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

[​IMG]
    THE "EL MATADOR" 2012 UPDATE & SALE !

At the Starbird's 48th Annual Tulsa Rod & Custom Show HAROLD MURPHY chased me down two aisles to get my attention and to tell me some fantastic news: He's been able to acquire some needed parts to finish the Restoration of the "El Matador", PLUS, he's had an offer to sell the car to a new "caretaker" who'll love it as much as he did !

This is a super story and, if you've loved the El Matador through the years as most of us have, you'll appreciate all of the Information Murph has to tell...including his wedding of February 25th, 2012 !

Simply click-on right here and listen to this latest Update on one of the most Legendary customs of all-time: The El Matador !

My Best to All !

2. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Really enjoy these stories Jonnie, the El Matador, and Bill Cushenbury were a big part of growing up... Thanks, that was a good one.

3. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks so much, Hugh ! They were all a part of my History too...so I felt that "Payin' 'em back" and letting everyone here their stories in their own words was important.

Thanks again,

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good job Jonnie that you got his story on tape. Murphy was sitting at our table and
    hearing the passion that he has towards Kustoms was very kool.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The restorers did a fantastic job on 'er, especially considering the condition it was in at one time. It was almost lost. I always enjoy seeing El Matador.

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Thanks ! It was great seeing you there too, that was quite a night. And you know what a true gentleman Murph is. A very classy guy, and a solid craftsman.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome update , so cool that this legendary custom has been restored to its former glory , outstanding , and congratulations to murph and his lady

8. John B

John B

I have never met Murph but there's a quality there that makes me feel like I have known him all my life.

9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

captain, John B, and, Rickybop...

Thanks, guys ! Murph has put his heart & soul into that car, and everything he does is based on quality.

I'll pass on your comments as he doesn't get on the comp. that much 'cause he's almost always out in the garage or taking the El Matador, or, his stunning new truck, on the road to a show.
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage164.html

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks for the update Jonnie and it was good to see you again!

11. THEKID49

THEKID49

You beat me too it. I was going to do a post on the remodel when I was done. I found the correct gauges and got a DeSoto steering wheel from HAMBer Marcustom. I also did away with the modern stereo, air ride switches, and modern power window switches.I'm waiting on the chrome from the chromer and the door panels from the upholstery shop. When I get those I will get some good pictures and start a thread.
    Here is a teaser shot

Attached Files:

12. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

beautiful work on the dashboard , whats the truck project behind the dashboard ? : ) we all likes projects here ,

13. Wow, I cant believe you guys are taking it to the next level yet ! thanks for keeping this car alive!

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Kid...

Thanks for the pix ! Murph showed me some of those shots in Tulsa, said that the gauges fit right in the holes in the dash.

I promised him I'd get his update on as soon as possible 'cause I wanted him to have it on before his Sat. Wed. !
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage164.html

15. THEKID49

THEKID49

Well they didn't fit right in. I had to massage the holes a little. But he coolest part was the studs that Cushenberry welded in all those years ago were still there. I just had to tap them around to line up. I'm just about done with the car so Murphy can deliver it to its new home.

16. THEKID49

THEKID49

It's my truck. I work on it when I am not slaving away on customers cars. Here is a link to some of he work I have done to it.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496895

17. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

18. lukey

lukey

Where is her new home????

-LUKEY-

19. Kind of a trip back in time. I spent many hours looking at that dash when I owned the car and so happy to see the care taken to restore it back to its glory. Hope to see it again some day and look at the updates.

20. THEKID49

THEKID49

New Jersey

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

22. Bill Powell

Bill Powell

I took basic training at Ft Ord in the Monterey area. When I got my first pass i never made it to Monterey, cause I passed the Cushenberry shop and was drawn to it like a magnet. He was kind enough to give me some early drawings of the Silhouette, and let me work on the Matador weekends.

Cushenberry told me car was a '39 Ford, and the windshield wiper holes I sanded on were above the windshield, and 39 was the last year for the fold out windows...

Last time I saw the car it was still in primer, and the thing I remember most was the lack of bondo.

The only one I've seen in color was the Klone the guy in Globe, Ariz built.

There were twoother cars in the shop while I was hanging out, an early Ford with canted quad headlights, and a Jade Idol type custom.