Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Munn's Root Beer Cutlassfrom the movie Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

bunch of freaks!

2. it was a 65 satellite that was rolled

3. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Thanks. My dad and I go back and forth about that once in a while. lol

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

Hot Rod Rules !

I built a primered Willys because of that movie......

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

6. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here is a couple of snap shots of the one I built.....

Attached Files:

7. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Looks pretty clean. :) Right on...

8. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Based on the picture in your avatar I would like to see more of it, from what I see it looks great! Replica car? Or is there history there?

9. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

I saw this movie back when I was 10 or so and damn this movie is etched into my head. I drooled at that Satellite, nevermind the Willeys. I still have it recorded on a VHS tape. Quality is awful.

10. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

But we all know you still love it.... lol :D

11. bobwop, do you live in colorado now? I talked to a fellow at the Golden Supercruise that built one of the "Hotrod" willys'. Was that you?

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

nope, that was Stuart.

he used to live close to me and followed my build closely. He chose to install a 440 Mopar instead of a Hemi and his car is glass, mine was steel.

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I started with an all steel body and went from there. 528 Hemi with dual quads on a tunnel ram, THM400 tranny and 57 Olds rear end. Ladder bars, chrome straight axle, fenderwell headers.

now part of a great collection in Richmond, VA

no history, other than what I made! ran 10.70 with consistancy

14. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Your right I do, I meant the quality of the VHS recording is awful.

15. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Studebaker from the movie.

[​IMG]
    This was last weekend. This car was in Hot Rod and also was in more american graffiti behind Pual as John Milner. The purple Willys still resides in Napa California and the current owner just got it for her Birthday as a gift from her husband. As it turns out she is one of my friends best friends. Small world.
    [​IMG]
    Could not find some of my pictires but did find this.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and then I found this too in my picture album.
    [​IMG]
    I have seen 3 cars from the film in person. And I would sure like to add the Munns cars to that list.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  16. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

That is still cool.

It looks great.

17. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Yeah that is what I ment by it. I still have my origanal copy that was taken off of tv to vhs with a scratchy Hot Rods To Hell and Reble Without A Cause taped on the same Vhs.

But I still love my origanal Hot Rod tape. It was my first 10 years of research. ;)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  18. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

"Hot Rods are forever!"

19. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Going back a bit because I tuned into this thread a little late. I know there was about 4 willys used for the film. I know where 2 are... Dose anyone have an idea where the other Willys went? Did anyone keep track through the years? Because I have found out about both Willys I know of only because I have been looking for them for the past 22 years.

I have met some people that helped with the film or they know people who helped with the film. But that tends to be about all poeople can tell me. And it was only by accident that I learnd of the 2nd Willys.... As it sat right in front of me.

So I would love to know everything I can know about any of the film cars.

For example I know the Glass Slipper was in the NHRA museum last I saw it.

But umm. I know Bill has had the Munns cars because my dad told me. But I have always looked for all of the Willys as well as the 2 Munns cars. The Willys have just been so much harder to find seeing as how they were built for the film and then went here and there after word.

So as I have found out over the years each car I have tracked down has it's own story.

Sorry, I don't mean to seem like I am trying to take over this thread or anything. I am just very passionate about the movie Hot Rod and the cars that made it so great.

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

perhaps you can make contact with the Taggerts? As I understand it, they wish to sell the F85 coupe that was the faster cutlass in the movie. It is not much more than a hulk, but his last asking price was only $1000.

21. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

My dad is in touch with Bill through Facebook. I just became friends with him on there as well. I would likee to see the one he wants to sell. If I bought the car I would want to restore it as it was in the movie. I don't know what I would do with another project in my way. But if I could come up with what he wants for it I would love to have the car. I'm in Califorina.... ;) :D

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I sure hope you follow through and go check out the F85. If it weren't so far, and transportation so expensive, it would be mine.

please keep us posted!

23. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Hold on here..... ! You have a car from the movie, and you want another one too. . .:rolleyes::p
    Well.....:(Okay, I talked with Bill today. He said sadly that one of the cars was traded and sat outside the shop it was parked in front of and then was lost in a fire in the shop after it was traded. However.....:) Bill sold the other car to Steve who owns the Yellow Hot Rod Willys and Steve is going to restore the car back to how the car was in the movie as the Munn's Rootbeer car. So it is not for sale anymore and it is in capable hands.

Too bad because I wanted it too!

Well now my hunt continues for the 3rd Hot Rod Willys that was used in the film while I finish building my car back to its glory.:D

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

capable hands? I hope so, but I sure don't like what he did with the Hot Rod Willys.

if he indeed restores it to the Munn's car, then it will be a good thing.

25. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Well, he has more than a few of the cars from the film. But all in all he has had the willys for a long time and he also has the money to rebuild the Munns car as well as the man power and what not. So....

But yeah I know what you mean. I feel the same way. But I feel it is in one of the best places it can be rather then made into joe shmows street car/bracket racer. You know...

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I just can't get past the transformation of the Hot Rod Willys. At any time it could have been returned to its glory, but there is no intent.

I fear the Cutlass may also be "ruined", but perhaps there is a new focus on his part.

27. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I know....

28. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Wasnt the 3rd willys one that was chopped up for movie production? I may be wrong - just thought I read it here on the HAMB somewhere. I have a couple DVD's of this movie and my Kids and I watch it often. I watched it back in 1979 on TV and was hoooked!

29. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Yeah, I was told the same thing that one of the Willys was built specifically for the film peaced together. But even still the main body has to be somewhere to this day, problably now a street rod someone owns... Like the More American Graffiti willys also used in Hot Rod turned into a street rod.

But over all it would be nice to know where all the carz went. So far I know where most of the cars when or what happend to them other than the white wagon my dads old funny car and the 3rd Willys. Those are 3 of the main cars I still don't know what happend to them after they were filmed.

30. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Yeah, the guy that built my body told me the same thing that one of the Willys was built specifically for the film peaced together out of a few cars or something like that from what I remember. He knew because my body came out of the mold that was made from the 3rd Willys or I believe the car Steve owns still. But even still the 3rd main body has to be somewhere to this day, problably now a street rod someone owns... Like the More American Graffiti willys also used in Hot Rod turned into a street rod.

But over all it would be nice to know where all the cars went. So far I know where most of the cars went or I at least know what happend to them other than the white wagon, my dads old funny car and the 3rd Willys. Those are 3 of the main cars I still don't know what happend to them after they were filmed.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.