Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Munn's Root Beer Cutlassfrom the movie Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Super442s

Super442s

Looking forward to hearing more about the car and restoration!

2. shtbox

shtbox

Loved that movie too!......"pre-war Willys rise up like a cutter through ice".....It would be real cool to see more cars from it, out there,,,,,,but please- NO KC and the Sunshine band in the Cutlass!!!!!

3. Welcome to the madness Billy.

There is NO WAY I'm gonna run a Munn's sticker though!!! ;-)

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hey Bobwop. I do not want to get ya too excited, but a friend of mine claims to know where there is a early 50's stude pickup. Supposibly all the sheet metal is there. He does not recall windows or the dash gauges. The truck is a 3/4 ton he thinks. It does not have any drivetrain in it, and the front axle was removed. Last he knew it was in the box. I'm not a stude guy at all, and neither is he, but I'm willing to go with him to actually see it. I'll take pics and if you want to inform me on what to look for I'd be happy to do my best to validate it for you. I do have the movie, so I'll pop it in and get a good look at the body style so I can make sure it is the same. Let me know either here or via PM. It really is not that far from me, so I would not mind at all to go take a look for you.

5. its a car not, a bill board comic strip

6. hahaha....had these made about 15 years ago...

Attached Files:

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that is cool!

the model needed is the R5, or half ton with short box. There are some around, but many have serious rust problems. As you can imagine, there weren't too many that were "babied", they are usually beat up. If anybody runs into a decent one, please let me know. Powertrain is not important.

8. You'll have to change your screen name to "Hot Rod 1979"

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

correct

10. How about this for a sticker? This is the closest I could get from looking at the movie clips. If anyone wants one, I will make it any size and color you want. Price depends on size and color of course. They are outdoor vinyl. I can make them to stick outside or reverse to stick inside a window.

Shoot me a PM. Let's see if we can get all the cars running one for the Heads Up in May.....except for the hemi willy's of course! LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  11. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

12. id be more then happy to run a munns decal id like one as close to the one in the movie as i could get same color et al

i know where there is the perfect stude pickup right year half ton its under a carport in missouri near my girlfriends old house i dont know if its availible , ive just been keeping my eye on it it hasnt moved or changed in the 4 years we've been together

13. i will put one on my bath room mirror :)

14. mojo66

mojo66

oooohhh!! It moved!!! :D

15. Viva La HAMB!!!!
    Loved seeing that movie come on TV every year (only 3 chanels).
    Then, funny coincidence, my Dad sold Grant Goodeve a house in Vermont sometime in the '80s.

16. i thought it was a black and decker aquarium pump j-2

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

exactly

18. 3 Days left untill the Munns root beer nationals!!!

19. chris55

chris55

Not sure if this is what you where looking for. Hope it hasn't been posted yet.

20. Somebody should do a screen shot of the stude pickup. If you do, I'll buy you a root beer!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  21. glassguy

glassguy

still cant believe adem cartwrite became a crooked cop!!

22. jokerjason

jokerjason

come on paint job get on it!!!! JOKER JASON.

23. you aint got enough car to get by me

24. Nah he's just trying to scare us

25. studedudeus

studedudeus

The Stude pickup had the small back window and a split windshield. That puts it pre-54. It was a short bed half ton, but a short bed 3/4 ton could easily be set up the same way.

As low as that red truck, in the Craigs list posting is, I'd bet it's got a camaro or nova clip under it. The trucks at Bonneville that sit that low have the axle welded to the frame.

If you go to the photo album in my profile, you'll see my '55 Stude pickup. That's about as low as you can get with a stock axle. You could drop the axle some more, but you're already flirting with the scrub line as it is.

To copy the movie truck, you'd want it at stock height.

26. Side note to this thread. In the early nineties I bought the original frame from under the grey Willys coupe that was first shown in the shed in the movie. It was really a bunch of junk. Bill Mullin's from Mullin's Steering turned me on to it and owned the second coupe and made a 80's style Pro Street type car with a cage in it.( My brother sold him the design for his steering columns that he made so popular) He turned me onto the frame and gave me a bunch of parts from his car that he did not use. I long ago sold off this stuff to finance other projects (My 34 Ford 5 window project)I wanted a car like the one in Hotrod for a long time but realized I like old Fords better. Now I kinda wish I still had my steel coupe that ended up back in the Bay Area. Can't have them all I guess

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

last night, I saw an ad on Craig's List for a 1950 Stude pickup. It was mostly apart, but from the photos it looks solid. Had been stored inside for many years. $600.

It was in a town barely ten miles from me. It was after 9PM, so I won't call.

I anxiously waited for 8AM to roll around and called. No answer, left message. I tried again around 2PM, still no answer. I checked the listing around 6:30 tonight and it had been deleted. I dialed the number, he answered, it was sold this morning.

I feel it is only courtesy to avoid calling after 9PM or before 8AM. Guess being a nice guy sure the heck doesn't always pay off.

Dammit!

28. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You owe me a rootbeer..:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  29. Hey cool thanks.
    P.S. I ran out of munns cups lol:D

Attached Files:

Thread Status: