Register now to get rid of these ads!

Multi-carb engine differences??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Jun 4, 2007.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I am putting together my first multi carb engine. I am running 3 Stromberg WW's atop a big block 440 Chrysler. I am just curious of anything I should do to the engine internally to make it run appropriate with this type of induction setup. I am looking to have a good reliable engine and want to make sure I cover all ends during the assembly. Right now I only have the block machined (.030 over) rods and crank. So basically I am starting fresh. I am still waiting to decide on pistons, cam and heads until I research a little more on what would be best for compression, air flow, duration and so forth. Any help is appreciated......Thanks!!

2. squirrel

squirrel

hmmmm.....I think I would start with what you want to do with the car, then choose the transmission/rear gear accordingly, then match the cam to that, and then put the appropriate number of carbs on it to meet the airflow needs.

Curiser? race car? stoplight terror? highway car? Are you going to shift yourself or have a slushbox?

3. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I have the trans (Auto 727) already. The rear gear is going to be a street friendly ratio (3.23) My hopes are to have a good cruiser that I can reliably drive anywhere. I planned to build the engine accordingly to that scenario, but just was curious if there should be anything else that needs to be done when having the three carbs....

4. squirrel

squirrel

Not really, you might consider whether to run synchronous or progressive linkage based on the rest of the car. With a mild gear and stock converter you'd probably want to run a real mild cam, and a progressive throttle linkage. Build the engine normally, and pretend it has a 4bbl carb on it.

440s came with 3 carbs in the old days, but they were bigger carbs, and the outboard ones were vacuum actuated.

5. pitman

pitman

Using progressive linkage lets you have either; a two bbl carb and crisp response at low intake flow rates, and/or 3-2bbls when the "need" arises.

6. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Yes thats what I am after......