Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mufflers for a 350, deep tone

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Haven't bought muffler in about 15 years, what's a good deep low tone muffler for a stock 350? I'm running about a 2 1/2 - 3" pipes. Hope this isn't a dumb question. :) FB_IMG_1567259136156.jpg

2. I ran a pair of Purple Hornies glass packs on my 51 chevy and it has a nice low rumble, with out droning inside. It had 2 1/4 inch pipes on a 290 horse crate 350, with pipes all the way out under the bumper.

Not a fan of the newer style mufflers, chambered type, Flowmaster and such. The chambered mufflers just sound like exhaust through a coffee can to me, unless you have some serious motor in front of them. I did have a set of Magna flow mufflers on my 64 Skylark with a 383 stroker in it. they sounded real good too. but they are more or less a larger glass/steel pack muffler.

BigO, rockable and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Blondes, brunettes, or redheads ? ;) another question with 20 answers.
    since you asked: I like magnaflows. Had a spiral flow from JEG's on a car and it rusted out in a year, so my thumbs is down to those.

I don't know what the current Cherry bombs are like, had them(not the glasspacks more like the current Vortex chambered type) on my OT AMC in the 70's sounded great. I'd also mention, the same mufflers sound different on different cars, due to the firing order differences of some engines, cam set up, etc...

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    BigO likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, I'm not a fan either, and that's a good description of the sound.

I think turbo mufflers are a great, deep tone. These should do the job nicely:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...1527515790233&utm_content=GSAPI+5ba290732ecaa

5. porters sound nice on most stuff

Elcohaulic, MIKE STEWART and BigO like this.
  6. I have a 50 series Flowmaster on my O/T 68 Camaro that I really happy with. Then the 55 Chevy has a pair of Dynomax mufflers on it and they sound pretty good too.

7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Dude! Ya gotta rev it up so we can hear it growl! WTF is wrong with you?

8. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I have a pair of Smithys glass packs in the old beater truck. Basically a stock 350 with pipes all the way out the back. I like the way it sounds.

studebaker46, BigO and -Brent- like this.
  9. Jay71

Jay71

Brockman Mellowtones. Nice low gurgle and great people to deal with. You can thank me later.

Lone Star Mopar and BigO like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Dynomax makes a couple different types of mufflers, do you know which ones these are?

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magnaflow has the tone you describe.

Jalopy Joker and BigO like this.
  12. They are like a typical flowmaster in appearance. Cant remember the exact model. My grandfather put them on the car about 20 years ago, but only have about 1000 miles on them.

Elcohaulic and BigO like this.
  13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Interesting. Flowmaster's are chambered mufflers, and I don't see that Dynomax makes chambered mufflers, but that video I thought that's what they sounded like too. Maybe they used to make a chambered muffler and no longer do?? I dunno.....

Here's their website: http://www.dynomax.com/

BigO likes this.
  14. I have Flowmasters on my '50. HRP

15. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Muttley and BigO like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm gonna say Porters.

17. its probably an older version of their ultra flow looking at their website as its close to how the muffler looks.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yep, that's the sound of Flowmasters that I really dislike. Sorry Bud, very street machine sounding. Not deep tone, very mid-rangey.

Moriarity and BigO like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That is a deep tone, and it is a HAMB era correct exhaust note, but that one sounds like it might drone a bit, which is really bothersome in the car. Some resonators added might help alleviate that.

BigO and Blue One like this.
  20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

My pal had his shop install some cherrybomb glass packs on his '57 sedan, stock 283 powertrain, and it sounds really good. Hardly noticeable inside the car heading down the highway and a really nice, mellow idle and a bit of a snap when you get into it.

My cousin installed Thrush Rattler steel packs on his '61 F100 behind a 390 (obviously a much different animal but just for interest sake) hoping they'd be really rank. At an idle they're quite mellow, when you hit it they really bark and on the highway they don't drone too bad as far as I notice. However it is a truck so a lot of the drone you experience in an enclosed car isn't gonna happen anyways.

Of course, where one installs them (closer to the front, further to the back etc) also affects the overall not your car is gonna play.

BigO likes this.
  21. Guess i should post Taboo's mufflers as well, they are summit glasspacks on a 2 1/2" system. Older video when just had the exhaust installed. While era correct I am not a glasspack fan.

BigO and Blues4U like this.
  22. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I prefer the walker California turbos. they don't drone and they give it a great rumble and when you stomp on it they sound great.

23. 51box

51box
    from MA

I used the long Porters on my current car and they are by far the best sounding muffler I’ve tried. There’s zero drone and has a nice mellow rumble at idle.

wbrw32, MIKE STEWART and BigO like this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That actually souinds really good, and yeah, it's the right exhaust note for the style of car. Does it drone inside? Beautiful car BTW!

BigO likes this.
  25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

cheap thrush mufflers with 2 inch in and out. There is maybe a total of 5 feet of pipe for both sides ...…………..

the exhaust system
    mufflers.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Desoto291Hemi and BigO like this.
  26. yeah drone for one and I cant stand the popping of glass packs. I have another set on a O/T 68 C10 and the popping makes it sound like it backfires all the time. I grew up riding in a my 33 with flowmaster 40 series so thats ingrained in my mind for what i like. The chambered exhaust used on side pipe vettes and early 69 camaro's sounds great though.

BigO likes this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So here is the sound of turbo mufflers. These give the deep tones of the glass packs, but are mellower, not so aggressive, none of the raspiness or popping noises on hard acceleration or downshifts. And, none of the mid-range metallic coffee can sound of chambered (Flowmaster) mufflers. This is the tone I was raised on, and is still the standard. I do like glass packs, but they can be a little much IMO. Skip ahead in this video to the 1 minute mark and listen to the sound of the freshly installed system.

28. Thanks , just didn't know if something new had come out I hadn't heard of.

29. Thanks, my pipes run out past the bumper....

30. I didn't expect so many responses, thanks guys, a lot of good info for me to consider. :)