Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSRA members take note

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badlefihand, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badlefihand

badlefihand

Interesting disscusion on "PY forums on line" board nominee explains his postions on the future of the club.Votes close end of this month and will determine which direction the MSRA goes. Just go to PY and into the lobby ,type MSRA search or just scroll down in lobby.Thought this important to those members of MSRA.

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Thanks for posting this! It's interesting the lengths people will go to in these elections, and for the Car of the year awards for votes! It wasn't long ago, I remember a large push for the club to go "Back to 48" since it is the Minnesota STREET ROD association. And we know that there were no 1960-64 cars around Back in the 50's. So maybe back to the 50's should really go "Back to the 50's" and make the cut off 1959.
    There was some thinking that raising the entry fee would have cut back on the entries for 50's, but people just bitched about the cost, paid it, and continue to come.
    Just like the big car associations, it has alot to do with the $. At least with MSRA, The money goes back to the members, not just into someones pocket!!
    I'm good friends with several of the Board members, and I think they they ALL do a good job. Many of them HAVE been on there for many years, but there is something to be said about how smoothly things run because of that. And lets not forget, that they are VOLUNTEERS!

3. badlefihand

badlefihand

Was hopeing that those members who also are members of H.A.M.B would get a look at this and let their friends know of the post on PY.I am not concerned with food or web site and live in Florida so see few cruises.What I am worried of is keeping the club as it was intended to be.

4. Rusty52

Rusty52

I kind of figured I might find this here. As the subject of this thread, I will make it even easier for people to read what I wrote as I'm not ashamed of what I wrote. Be sure to read it all. Just follow this link: http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611028

I'm more than willing to discuss my positions with anyone. Please feel free to post any questions you may have about me on this board and I will gladly answer them. If you prefer, I'll also answer via private message.

I would like to point out that I'm not out to ruin MSRA or change it's values or traditions. I also don't think the board is or has done a bad job. I do however believe that it's important to get new blood and new ideas mixed into the board of directors, as repeating the same thing over and over doesn't bring much variety to life.

I'm not running because I HAVE to get on the board, heck, it just means more work :D I just think I have something to offer the membership of MSRA. If the membership chooses not to elect me that is ok too, my wife will probably be thankful!!

Respectfully,
    Rusty Hanes

P.S. - I wouldn't normally post online like this, because it feels too much like I'm campaigning, but being the outsider I am, this is one of the best ways for people to get to know me.

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Just my 2 cents...... I would not vote for a MSRA board member who does not own a car that is 1964 or older..... it just does not make sense to me to want to be a board member and don't own a car that would even qualify to bring to BTTFs...

Thanks for the reminder to vote .....

Doug

6. FuelFC

FuelFC

Was back up there for the first time in a very long time. (10 plus years). I was not ever going back after my last debacle there.

(Was crashed into and was hassled as an out of stater by two of so called officials...Former long time resident, former member (gee wonder why?) then once a cop and Ramsey Sheriff buddy showed up it was a much, much different tune.)

But we decided one last time was in order before we lost another in our group. And we might come back in 2010 just due to the small changes made and attitude.

Things do need to change. There have been a lot of good suggestions over the years that have gone un-addressed and now that nothing has happened it just looks like everyone bitching. There is a list floating around up there of 10-12 items from many years past on what could be done to make it easier/better...see it from the attendees eyes!

Yes new blood is good and passing the torch on from the old with knowledge is even more important.

Good luck there 'Governor' and maybe we'll see you in June in your powdered wig or whatever you get. LOL.

7. Rusty52

Rusty52

FalconMan,

I'm glad I drive a '52 Poncho then! :)

FuelFC,

I don't think they give out powdered wigs, but they do give you one of those visors with the fake hair on top :D LOL

8. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Ok... now you have my vote :)

9. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

the ones question ing our old age I would like to know how much they have volunteered in the past I put in all my time cause I BELIEVE in this assn. and have for years well we must be doin something wrong that why 50,s is the biggest most successful show in the world and I,m damm proud of what I have learned from our (senior) members over the years like I said if you give you get how much you guys give is what you will receive I know its all about the checkbook........

10. Rusty52

Rusty52

Roscoe,

I'm DEFINATELY not questioning your old age. For crying out loud, I'm in the car hobby, most of my friends might be considered "old" :) and before I know it, I'll be there too! I BELIEVE in MSRA, it's not about not believing in the organization, as I've said and will say again, MSRA is a strong, healthy and lively club, but I think the board needs a variety of perspectives to represent the club.

How about this for honesty, (won't get this from your standard politician :D ) I'll be the first to admit I haven't done a ton of volunteering with MSRA, but I have done a lot of volunteering with other car clubs in the area. Last year alone I spent several HUNDRED hours volunteering organizing events, aranging sponsors, getting donations, writing articles, making flyers, etc. I know that volunteers are what make car clubs, ESPECIALLY MSRA, so successful. If MSRA didn't have the great volunteers that they have now, Back to the Fifties couldn't/wouldn't exist. My hope is to continue this tradition long after you and I are gone. I have a 10 month old daughter and already I'm making plans for her first hot rod.

Finally, whether you vote for me or not, I want to thank you for volunteering and building this club up to what it is today. Without people like you, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

11. For several years, I wrote a monthly article for the linechaser back when the internet was just beginning and my website was on a Mac user board. They were, and are a great bunch of people and I hope they continue with their obvious success and the Back to the Fifties show. I was there as a vendor and will always remember sitting on the curb watching the cars file in.

12. krooser

krooser

I was a member of the MSRA from '94 until '07. Got busy and forgot to renew my membership... never heard from the club again.

I attended every year from '93 until '07... the last two years I wasn't able to attend.

I also volunteered from '04 until '05...usually worked registration, a gate or the auction.

The folks in the MSRA do a great job... I always voted for new board members to try to get some new blood into the hierarchy. You have to get fresh ideas into the club. But reaching out and changing the biggest event of the year is risky.

I think the club needs to continue to improve BTTF's... tuff to do when you are just about the best out there. But I always here stories about how some participants are treated by some volunteers. I've been bullied a couple times by gate workers who think THEY make the rules.

Running a show is a TON of work... I know first hand. You need the experienced guys/gals to keep things flowing while the newer board members get the feel of running the gig.

Maybe I'll renew my membership this year... I miss the Linechaser and the info it provides.

13. oldpaint

oldpaint

I have been a long time member of MSRA, and I over 60. I believe there are changes that can be made. I did not attend in 2008, but I heard that using the main gates worked out well for everyone. It has always been a pain sitting on Snelling waiting for the gates to open. I hope that they are going to continue to use those gates in the future.

The spring campout gets moved every couple of years. I think it's high time the "BTT50s" registration hotel get moved to the south metro. Most of the cars come from the southern 48 up I-35, from the eastern and western states on I-90. It may make it more difficult for the Canadians and the guys from North Dakota, but it's time for a change.

I see the same cars parked in the same places every year. I wondered how that happens. I would like to get in early and get prime parking. Then go stand by the gate with a dozen guys and watch the cars come into the fairgrounds.
    I have sent in my workers card in each year only to be told that all the early shifts are full. The late shifts still need workers, but working the late shift does not get you in to the fairgrounds early to park your car. I'll bet if it did they would have no problem filling those shifts as fast as the early shifts.

14. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I have a friend who is an early worker. His shift begins at 4:30 AM! He has to be there that early to get things up and running so those people who insist on getting in line by 5am can get in to get their prime spots and off the roads so that the police do not start ticketing them. He is usually on his way home and going to bed by 7pm so he can get up and do it again on Saturday so those early birds can get their spots again. he's usually completely shot by Saturday night (after having gotten roped into other areas to work...this year, he also ran cars for the auction.) He's not a board member, he's just a GOOD friend to one, and helps the club in any way he can. So...he gets a nice corner spot and a couple of t-shirts. Doesn't make up for not getting much time to sit on a chair behind his car and Bitch about how things suck at the event. But he at least got a GOOD spot.....
    I've been a member for over 20 years on my own, and over 35 years with my family, so I have seen MANY changes with the club. The old days may have been alot simpler, but as the membership has changed, so have the members expectations. And the "Payment" for a being board member are still the same as far as I know... A jacket, a couple of shirts, a dinner, and a years membership. Most of these board member put in well over 40 hours PER MONTH in VOLUNTEERING their time to make the club better for YOU the member!
    Hats off to you Rusty for not agreeing with how things are being run and being willing to step up and try to make a difference. It's a shame more people don't do that instead of sitting back and bitching about HARD work of those who do!

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If the money (profit?) goes back to the club members they aren't really volunteers, they are club members that split the profits that are earned by the club. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with that. If a club works hard to put on an event and makes a profit there is no reason why the profit is not split amoungest the hard workers, of course leaving enough money in the coffers for the following years expenses.

On another note, I've been to that show many times and I just don't get the arriving in the middle of the night just to sit in line for a parking spot. A persons then too exhausted in the evening to enjoy any night time activities. The nightime fairgrounds cruzn is pretty good along with the cruzn outside the fairgrounds gate.

16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

MSRA does host a large appreciation dinner for those people who worked at the event later in the year. They also purchase about $10,000 worth the prizes from the vendors at the event to give away to the workers after the event too.
    As far as the "someones"....I was refering to the owners of the 2 big "clubs" that most of us seem to belong to. It sure is nice to see when we attend their events, the money we spend is helping fund their next rod project that we'll all get to enjoy! :D ;) :D ;) :D

17. i agree that some changes are needed , but i don't believe what rusty52 wants to do is the answer. but maybe i shouldn't really voice my opinion here....i was a member for almost 30 years until i didn't renew my membership a couple years ago.

18. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Greg,
    Obviously, it's long time members like you that it sucks to see be turned off enough by what's going on to drop your membership.
    I remember when they changed the Linechaser mailing policy, that that cost them less money, but it also cost them several long time members.
    Luckly for me, I live in the metro area, so I can enjoy the other benefits of membership by going to picnics and stuff far more than guys like you who are in the outstate area get to. I believe they are looking at trying to move events like the spring picnic and other events to outstate locations in the future to try to allow more of the "Non-metro" members to fell more a part of things.

19. chubbie

chubbie

The spring campout gets moved every couple of years. I think it's high time the "BTT50s" registration hotel get moved to the south metro. Most of the cars come from the southern 48 up I-35, from the eastern and western states on I-90. It may make it more difficult for the Canadians and the guys from North Dakota, but it's time for a change.

The host hotel thing could be a LOT SIMPLER, why would i want to drive to the north end of the metro.... It adds a lot of time to an already long drive! you could move to the south end.... but realy.. if I'm preregisterd, why cant you send me a card, w/ number to put in my windshield... I go through the gate find a place to park. just like the" mug card" go to the building and pick up my info packet w/ my mug....simple, this is ONE of the reasons we won't be atending again........................

20. Rusty52

Rusty52

I was talking to a member at a car show that I hosted about this very thing. Her suggestion was to add a surcharge option to people who would like the registration packet mailed to them instead of having to pick it up. I don't know if this is feasible, because I'm not 100% sure how registration works and if there is a NEED for everyone to personally pick it up or not. This is something that I plan to explore on her behalf as I think it would save both sides some real headaches. People who still want to pick up in person would obviously still be allowed to do so. Alot of people enjoy the mini-show at the registration.

21. Rusty52

Rusty52

What suggestions do you have for improving the club? I'm just giving my ideas, but as a board member I would also be representing the members ideas. Being a board member isn't about me, it's about the membership and their wants.

22. chubbie

chubbie

some people enjoy the redundant, mini car show.. after all isn't there a larger show at the fair grounds??? you can mail it.......why cant i just pick it up at the real show???? NO PLEASE ANSWER ME!!!!!

ALSO THE 5 O'CLOCK closeing time is a problem...drive way around the city thru traffic to get there before 5.... or you have to be there the next morning,, now its noon before you get parked.....BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  23. bryan6902

bryan6902

This has really turned into a BTTF's rant! The show isn't perfect, big deal, what show is? If it's too much of a headache do yourself a favor and stay home.

After reading this thread over, plus the one on Performance Years, it seems like Rusty is just trying to be a part of something and give back to something he loves and has really enjoyed over the years. Do I agree with every thing he says? No, I've never even met the guy. Will his ideas bring the MSRA to its knees at the altar of the Musclecar? Doubtful. He just wants to DO SOMETHING and GIVE BACK just a little for the club he loves.

Would love to see the MSRA webpage move up to 2010 for sure. Registrations, memberships, merchandise orders, a member forum, classified ads, etc. would all be good things to have online.

I say give the guy a chance. The board votes on everything and he only has one vote, if he has bad ideas they aren't going to fly. And if after his term is up and the membership doesn't like him, he won't get re-elected. Just my thoughts, Bryan

24. Rusty52

Rusty52

The state fairgrounds area is WAY too busy to accomodate doing registration there. 10,000+ participant cars, plus thousands and thousands of spectators, not to mention all of the vendors and workers who are setting up the fairgrounds beforehand for the actual show.

As for moving the hotel around, I think it's in a fairly convenient location and distance from the fairgrounds. If troubles arise at the registration while the show is going on, workers/MSRA people can get there in a timely manner. Having the hotel 20 minutes to the south would probably cause more headaches than its worth.

25. have YOU BEEN LISTENING? IT'S A PAIN IN THE ASS TO GO TO THE HEADQUARTERS hotel during rush hour traffic. i will guess that most attendees are coming from the south..why not have it there? or as already suggested just mail out the packets

just so you know , caps on purpose

as for your plans to included "muscle cars" ...what part of Minnesota Street Rod Association do you not understand? you want to include a bunch of late model crap so you can grow the organization , and then turn off and loose the hard core hot rodders? i'm history from the club ..can you figure out why??????? if you try to be all things to everyone in order to please them all you end up just pissing everyone off and end up with nothing. that why i know longer consider it the MSRA, i call it the "Minnesota Street Rod and any old piece of shit you can drag in Association". bigger is not always better. when i saw old farmers grain trucks cursing the fairgrounds i put up the white flag. i'm a hot rodder , i want to belong to an organization that caters to me. and yes, i know that is a bit narrow mined and self centered..so what. trust me when i say that i know many long time members that feel the same way

anyway , good luck with your election campaign..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  26. FuelFC

FuelFC

Have to say 36 nailed it. Spot the hell on.

Rusty you live in Fridley. Of course it is "fairly convenient location" to you. We keep our junk based in Inver Grove when up there. Did you try running up to registration from there or say Burnsville this year? Snelling disaster, 280 construction, more construction rice street...We had to take a 45 minute scenic tour to get to the host hotel. And we knew where we were going. Try that if you ain't from around there.

Again there was a list made some years ago on improvements. Not wholesale changes to the organization. Just some adjustments.

Leave the muscle and later to the Car Craft Nats folks and whatever the hell is left of MSMA (cough).

27. Rusty52

Rusty52

As I had suggested, I would propose a way to mail out the packets to people if they so choose, but there would have to be an optional fee for the extra shipping and handling that would be required. I'm don't care where the host hotel is personally, I'm not planning on always living here in Fridley, so it's not like I'm lobbying for the hotel based on that. My point is the host hotel needs to be in close proximity to the fairgrounds, and the Hampton fits that bill. I don't think there are many hotels to the south of the fairgrounds that would be interested in having MSRA there, but I could be wrong. If elected, I could look into that. Would you then rejoin?? :D LOL I doubt it.

I'm neither deaf, blind or dumb :) I know what the caps means.

I understand where people are coming from on this being the Street Rod Association by definition, BUT street rod is defined as 48 and older, correct? MSRA's biggest cause and show is Back to the Fifties am I right? Not one car from the 50's was EVER produced in the 40's. The way you talk MSRA should just cut everything back to '48 and older, thus slitting the throat of the entire show and organization. BTTF's has been going on 35+ years, so it's not like we're breaking some precedent by having cars of the 50's and 60's involved in the show. You said you were a member for 30 years, so I would guess back when you joined, you joined knowing that there were cars post '48 already involved in the club. If you're so against those cars, then why did you join in the first place?

I want to restate this position so people might understand better where I'm coming from. My main focus in all of this is to prepare the next generation of STREET RODDERS to take over the organization, but when I look around, there is not much youth involved in MSRA. I think part of that is because they don't have the knowledge of these cars. Therefore, I think it's imperative that MSRA try to find a way to get younger people involved and teach them about the cars, tradition of the hobby and of the organization. I feel that if MSRA doesn't prepare the next generation, these street rods will not just be handed down to a generation that values them and will likely lead to the end of traditional hot rodding or at the very least a HUGE decline in what it is now. Don't think cash for clunkers wouldn't love to get their hands on these cars and that most people under the age of 40 or so could care less about our tradition or our cars. Yes there is an MSRA Ignitors Car Club, which is 28 and under, but there seems to be a good amount of opposition to this group from some of the board and I think in large part it has to do more with personal politics than anything else. Politics and who's who shouldn't be what makes the board decide whether something has value or is a good idea.

I see muscle cars as a means of getting more from the younger generation (under 50) involved in our club, then exposing them to the street rods and our tradition. A lot of these car guys have NO interest in them because they don't know anything about them and don't feel welcome. If we welcome peole in and teach them our values, traditions and love for the cars, it will do a lot more in the long run for the hobby and organization. Let's face it, most people, do not like to welcome in new people. People in general are very skeptical and cautious about who they associate with. MSRA is at the point where their membership and participation is at its largest point and peaking, but it won't continue in that manner if MSRA doesn't make plans for the future NOW. The peaking membership can also be misleading as the number of core volunteers doesn't seem to be growing at the same rate. I think MSRA will continue to prosper and be healthy for about another 10 years until the current generation begins to fade away due to age and health. I don't wish or want this, but I'm a realist and it's unfortunately going to happen to all of us at some point. I just don't want to see MSRA end like that.

I'm sure I've already created quite a SHIT STORM for myself, but I'm also hoping to have opened up some dialogue so that this hobby continues to move forward with strength. I want my kids and grandkids to be able to have what we have now.

Thanks for listening and for your opinions.

28. chubbie

chubbie

OK...'50's is the greatest thing going!! many thanks to all! your time and dedicated service.....so i can hang out and have a good time.. please hear me, THANKS to all!! I just am saying .. PLEASE help us out of state rodders cope with the city traffic... I wish the camping area was 3 times the size, preregister... I would never venture out into the concrete jungle

29. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I think ANYWHERE in the cities is a pain in the ass during rush hour. I travel the south and north metro area every day and it ain't a great commute. The 494 strip is the worst part of it. I can't imagine having registration anywhere in the south part of town. Where would you go... somewhere on 35W ....that is crazy as well.

I take the day off on Thursday to go register so I don't have to deal with rush hour traffic. I think people can plan their trip so they don't arrive at the worst possible time. The big part of the problem with registration is that all the old fat retired guys go there in the morning and sit on their lawn chairs all day taking up space in the parking lot ........ go figure.

Mailing the registration out is a great idea. Again, with a all volunteer club and the cost associated with it, it could be a problem getting it done. Mail could get lost ...then what ???

30. oldpaint

oldpaint

Falconman, you are correct it is a pain in the ass to get to 694 from the south and probably over 75% of the registrants come from the south. Although I'll bet most of the board members are north.

It could be done!
    There is a small club in Iowa that puts on "Cruise to the Woods" I'm sure many of you have attended their event. They get about 1,000 cars, and they mail out preregistrations. Seems to work fine for them. If a club with 25 members can do it I think MSRA can handle it with no addition charge. All they have to do is mail the window sticker and a letter/map. As far as buttons go a sticker could replace them and probably save money. The rest of the junk could be picked up with the mugs if anyone cares. I got to many mugs!

Make it convenient!
    And if they insist on doing it the old way at least extend the hours on Thursday so that us that have to drive 3+ hours can still get our registration. They should have registration open untill 10:00PM Thursday nite. MSRA has enough volunteers, who don't have to be in bed by 7:00PM so they can work the gate at 4:30AM, to make it
    convenient for those coming from out of state and outstate.

Think outside the box!
    Change is hard. We get used to doing things a certain way and get comfortable. I sure MSRA has a good working relationship with the host motel and if they were to change there would be an outcry from those who like things the way they are. Introducing young members to MSRA is good. Allowing newer than 1964 cars into the 50s is bad. Mailings are good. Rush hour traffic is bad! Cost of mailings not so bad. I think MSRA can afford it!

What I like best about "BTT50s"!
    NO Mustangs allowed! Please don't change that!:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.