Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MSD Ignition Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al T, Jan 8, 2017.

1. I'm doing some clean-up under the hood of my '37 and I had a quick question on the MSD Ignition that is in it. The car currently has two coils. Is there any real need for this? Looking at the installation instructions on-line it doesn't show a two coil application. The coils are wired separately out of the module. The installation instructions don't show that either. If I ditch a coil, is the harness for the coils coming out of the unit a plug? I didn't look at it that closely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

Allan

2. squirrel

squirrel

I've never seen that before! You'd want to get all the wires out to where you can see them, and figure out where they all go. If you do that, let us know, maybe we can help you figure it out.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

The former owner probably wore a belt and suspenders. I have seen it in round track applications.

30tudor and turboroadster like this.
  4. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

redundant coil on a switch......endurance racers are inclined to use backup coils and/or coils

5. OK....... more to dismantle. lol.

No switch, both coils are wired direct out of the MSD module.

6. Well that was interesting. The dual coil leads were just spliced into the end of MSD harness.
    I guess a new coil is on the shopping list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone want a coil set up ready for the Zombie Apocalypse?

[​IMG]

Allan

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  7. Any advice on which coil to buy? MSD?

Thanks.

Allan

8. squirrel

squirrel

I ran an MSD 6A for years with a Blaster 2 coil, it worked fine. I don't know if it's the best thing for you, or not.

1934coupe and Bandit Billy like this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Our biggest and baddest coil for the 6AL is our Blaster HVC coil, PN 8253

MSD Admin
    MSD Tech Support
    915-855-7123

10. Thanks. I want to mount it down on the intake.

Would The MSD 8200 Blaster 2 coil work?

11. squirrel

squirrel

Biggest and baddest may or may not be what you want or need....

12. Curious about the two coils. If wired parallel(appears to be that way) would that increase the spark to the dist.? If no switch is present and they are wired together like that, what is the gain or reason behind it?

13. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

One good coil should be better than those two, there was a system here used on racing Holdens, twin coil/twin point ,twin contact rotor button, I dont know if they stole it from GM or came up with it themselves here, they did like to play with cars at Holden (about to move to China) It worked just fine :) http://holdenpaedia.oldholden.com/L34_Distributor

wraymen likes this.
  14. why are you buying another coil, you already have two? just use one of those.

15. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

That is true, an 8200 would work fine. But a big block in a 37 Ford, pretty much bad ass.

16. I would but they've got weird sealed terminals.

17. "That is true, an 8200 would work fine. But a big block in a 37 Ford, pretty much bad ass."

It is! lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  18. squirrel

squirrel

A stock coil would work fine.

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

X2

20. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

You need to run a MSD coil. A stock coil will not work or even any non CD box coil. I wanted my cool ass finned Judson coil but my truck barely ran with it and the 6A box / magnetic breakerless Accel distributer. I switched to a MSD coil and now performs flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rfraze likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe you need any coil, besides a cool ass Judson coil? :)

(the car was running ok with the two coils it had on it, which don't appear to be MSD coils)

22. Squirrel, you are correct. Car ran fine. I'll update everyone how it runs with the new coil when I get back from St. Louis next week.

23. Grumbler

Grumbler

When my MSD coil failed for the second time I had a spare Petronix which I installed, works fine with 6AL-2

24. That's good to know. Speedway has a Pertronix 40501 Flame Thrower on for nearly 50% off so I bought one. Couldn't pass on the pricing.

IMG_3237.PNG

25. squirrel

squirrel

I'm running a pertronix coil in my Chevy II, but that has a blower on it, and points for an ignition, so it might be like comparing baking and eating apples.

vtx1800 likes this.
  26. Exactly. I have run hot ignition for years (Jim has too) and I learned that you don't need more coil than you have motor. You don't need to melt the plugs just catch the gasoline on fire. ;)

By the way I think that the Frankenstein coil setup is cool, make a good shelf thingy to make people ask questions.

squirrel likes this.
  27. Not true - an MSD 6AL Analog box like he has Will work with a stock coil, it even worked with that mess he had with two coils (which should have had very high resistance and I bet got pretty hot, not to mention the two coils probably didn't spark at exactly the same time). I think in your case Larry it is the Accel Electronic conversion that was causing issues with the stock coil, not the MSD box.

28. I can bring it to STL on my next trip if you want it? lol

You bring up some good points. I'm curious to see how it runs with a conventional coil setup.

Allan

29. moparjack44

moparjack44

Unless you are going to race it, ditch the MSD box, and run the Blaster 2 coil. The MSD box is just something else to give you trouble, when it quits, it quits without warning. Been there done that, paid the tow bill.

19Eddy30 and warbird1 like this.