Register now to get rid of these ads!

Msd Ignition no spark problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Razorshotrods, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Hey Guys, i spent all f---ing day trying to fidure this out. I have a 55 chevy 2nd series, small block 350. I installed the haywire wiring and have a msd distributor and master blaster 2 coil. i have the 3 wires from the dist. green, brown, and red. i have the brown to ground, green to negative side of coil and positive to ballist resistor on the same end as the ballist wire from ignition to resistor. I have on the other end of resistor a wire to positive side of soil.
    I cant get spark, i bought a new coil still nothing, i tried red wire to positive side of coil and still nothing. WTF am I missing?

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

take out the ballast resistor, MSD needs 12 volts. Start there, let us know what happens

3. Go the MSD web site, they have a very good trouble shooting page for all of their products.

4. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

then where do i put the wire from ignition to ballist? went to MSD web and didnt help, still no spark, we tried jumoing the ballist with no luck. do i put the red wire to positive on coil and green to negative on coil and brown to ground?

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

red should have 12 volts only when ignition is on, green is coil hot, brown is neg, (I Think!)

6. 35fordrat

35fordrat

Green is negative side of coil...Red is positive side of coil....Brown is grounded. Remove the resistor for testing purposes. Your tach wire should br connected to the negative side of the coill...Be sure that this wire is wired correctly to the back of your tach. Be sure your tach wire is not grounded out by chance. If it is, It will instantly turn your coil to shit...Hope this helps ya..

You should also have a wire that supplies 12 volts to the coil positive side when the ignition switch is on...

7. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yep your right, I've never used just the dizzy, always run the box too

8. bobwop

bobwop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

make certain you have a fully charged battery. not much tolerance for low voltage with MSD

9. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

thanks guys will try sat and see....

10. ken1939

ken1939

Make sure you have:

1. Good battery, more important good grounding with the negative term and engine block.

2. Good 12 Volts to the coil. If this is the electronic dist set up, ditch the ceramics.

3. Hook the wires up as directed. Mine was black to ground, red to hot side of coil and orange to negative side. It also needed to use the hook up kit that came with the dist.

4. Recheck your spark with key on, coil wire out should be 12volts.

5. Ensure timing is on so things will come to life.

I had to replace a bad MSD dist and went to the hei type coil, ditching the blaster.

Hope this helps.