Register now to get rid of these ads!

MSD distributor with coil connections

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JDHolmes, May 25, 2010.

1. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I've never used an MSD distributor before but the guy next door asked me for electrical help and I tried to assist, unsuccessfully, so I thought I'd asked the most knowledgable folks around --- you guys.

Ford motor 351
    MSD billet distributor orange, red, black wires. Part number 8354.
    coil - standard, + and - marked

MSD says to connect orange to -, red to + and black to a ground.
    Coil has + from electrical connection box, actuated when key is on. (no real ignition switch, just a pushbutton to serve that function). Original coil was MSD coil but marked for 6 or 7, this is neither. It

Problem is no spark, no fire, no start or run (obviously).

I felt they needed a ground wire from - to ground. When I put this on, I was able to read 12.x voltage across the + and -. Without the ground, there is no voltage across those terminals.

He sent distributor to MSD and they said it was good to 9k rpm.
    Coil ohms were 1.3 across +/-. 4.5k across + and coil output.

Can someone tell me what the appropriate hookup for this coil would be using this distributor?

Many thanks.

2. Fenders

Fenders

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  3. ken1939

ken1939

I have a MSD Ready to run on my flathead, my ground was bad, I had 12v at the coil but no where else. Once I grounded my negative of the battery better, ended up on the header bolt, I had all the juice I needed.