Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods MSD 8351 Flathead Issues?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CRZNDUCK, Aug 3, 2014.

1. CRZNDUCK

CRZNDUCK

We are still thrashing on the Flathead. Is anyone running a MSD 8351 Distributor in their Flatty? I would like to know about successes and failures.

Really at the end of the rope on this. New Cap and Rotor and Coil and still breaking up under acceleration.

Starts and idles, cruises at speed but opening the throttle and it stumbles and poops out the exhaust.

2. justpassinthru

justpassinthru

I am running the MDS distributor on my Flathead. Initial timing is 6 degrees and a total of 26 degrees with the vacuum advance removed and locked out. Timing is all in at 2500 RPM. Idle speed is 600 RPM. Advance begins right off idle.
    What makes you think your issue is an ignition problem and not a fuel problem?
    Bill

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just be aware that just because it says MSD on the box and etc it doesn't mean it it a genuine MSD product. I had an MSD module in my 8ba fail so swapped to another complete new MSD ready to run dist. And went to swap caps but the mount lugs were different.
    Also there are definite off shore copies of MSD products ,the most obvious giveaway is the serial number on each one is the same .
    Sorry this doesn't help your problem.