Register now to get rid of these ads!

*MrModelT and Powerwagonmaniac build a T speedster in 6 months!*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Jun 23, 2010.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yes, the leading edge of the inner fender skirt will be trimmed back to meet the front cross member...rather than sticking out so far in front. I am also planning the straighten the trailing curvature (from the apex over the wheel to the running board) to give it a racy-er look :D

2. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello H.A.M.B.sters!

Got a little progress made on the "Becker Special" this weekend. I got the extra wide running boards mounted finally, the new headlights installed and the front fenders mocked up. I started building up the framework for the front fenders as well, but didn't get very far.

Chris did a great job mounting the "Special's" newest accessory....something that Bill found years ago and been hiding in the shop since the 1960's :D ...the early Solar spotlight (patented Jan 31, 1899 and Aug 25, 1903)

Pulled it out in front of the shop and took a few pics, enjoy! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Bump for the afternoon/evening crowd

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Sorry to disappoint you. My Dodge bodied/"A" Power and brakes is just the start of a collection of parts to make my early Modified from. I think the body is a '23 touring so that will be how it will be registered. Need to narrow the body to fit the "T" frame, etc, etc . . . .

Dave

5. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Clayton is awesome a t modifying parts. I couldn't to save my life. I am really good at fabricating parts. I guess we make a good team. Dave sounds like a good start for a beginning.

Chris Becker

6. bab59

bab59

7. MrModelT

MrModelT

I think so ;)....we've done great thus far!

That's why I take care of altering the old parts and cosmetics and your in charge of fabricating all the new stuff and and the precision stuff....I'm still sketchy at best on the lathe :D

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Looking forward to seeing the build process on the fenders. The mock up fenders sure look great on the Special. May have to consider fenders for my Dodge Modified !
    Keep thos updates a coming from you and Chris !

Dave

9. MrModelT

MrModelT

UPDATE:
    FENDERS: The Beginning

Well, I finally got started on the front fenders this weekend! Chris and I wanted to try out making Fiberglass fenders to try something new and get the car done for some upcoming events this summer!

Here is the latest:

Front fender framework is done! I made up the outer line frame and nose pieces and Chris did the "lattice" work for added support.

This weekend....I start skinning them :D

BTW: Chris also made up this awesome extra Oiler for the Magneto drive and a new headlight cross bar.

Attached Files:

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Wish you all the best as you fabricate those fenders. My bet is that they will be "bad to da bone !".

Dave

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks Dave!

So far, they are turning out just as I had envisioned....which Is a good thing! :D

With the lattice work done, I can start skinning them this weekend. I hope to get them skinned and glassed in the next two weeks.

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

Update:
    Trunk and Fenders.

Well....FINALLY got the trunk section complete! This was our first run at the fiberglass technique and it seemed to work very well. I also got the rear fender frameworks laid out. Chris made some great progress too, getting the auxiliary brake drums machined, The molecule windshield, and the driver's side stirrups made.

Here are some pics from this weekend's exploits:

Attached Files:

13. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, You and Chris have been making some great progress on the Special ! You need to give us inprocess pix for the trunk and the fenders. Does look great though.

Dave

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  14. MrModelT

MrModelT

Updated Update:
    More Trunk and Fender Progress

Chris and I messed around with the rear fenders Sunday night and got them finished and ready for skin. We also mocked up the double spares.....can you say "Baby Mercer"? :D

Attached Files:

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, Congrats to you and Chris's progress on the Special. Sure looks great to my underexperienced eye. I can see what you mean about Baby Mercer ! Keep the updates a comin' !

Dave

16. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Getting really close to that baby Mercer look we were looking for!

[​IMG]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well Clayton has most of the fenders done in cardboard. Here's the last couple of weeks effort.
    Hope to start glassing them soon so we can blow it apart and start painting it '68 Vedero Green, or as someone said earlier Envy Green!!

Finished the monocle windshield for it.
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]
    While Clayton was working on fenders I started building the emergency brake mechanisms. Hope fully Monday night or Wednesday night it will be done. We'll see!!
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]

Hopefully next week end I can get the spare tire carrier made.

Goal is to have it finished, licensed, and road worthy by September 17th, 2011, for the NW Flathead Reliability run from Seattle to Vantage Washington.

Chris Becker

[/FONT]

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I've ridden in this machine, and it is scary as hell-it scoots!

Lookin good guys!

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Shooter,That is a great testimonial for the Special ! Would love to get a ride in this one.

Dave :eek:

19. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Shooter, Thanks it does go like hell don't it! Can't till it as Madison's soon. Still have a ways to go but getting there slowly.

Dave, when do you want to go for a ride? Not that far to California so some day I'll have to bring it down.

Chris Becker

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Everything about this car is perfect! You guys have built a beautiful speedster!

21. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Dave, when do you want to go for a ride? Not that far to California so some day I'll have to bring it down.

Chris Becker[/QUOTE]

Chris,Now remember I am in SoCal. I am about 700 from Bonneville. I think you guys are 1100 from the salt - may not be fair to ask you to come this far.

By the way was just enjoying the latest on the Special. Is the windscreen a homebuilt piece or factory piece ? Love that and the emergency brake and footrest. Lots of neat pieces for the Special. Will stay tuned for further updates. Was curious about the spare tire mounts. Sure does look like a Mercer !

Dave :)

22. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Dave,

My dad was going to sell speedster kits back in the late '70's or early '80's when we had the T parts business. He and friend were casting these windshields up, but only a few were cast and sold before dad sold the business. I have never seen the actual one but I do have the blueprints they used, so I made a my own copy welded it up on my own. So it is a one off piece designed by my dad and his friend all those years ago.

Hey Dave, it is a long drive so maybe you'll have to join us on the salt next year.

Dodge 440, thanks for the compliment. Clayton and I have a had a lot of fun building it.

Chris Becker

23. froghawk

froghawk

Love this car more every time I look at it: "Baby Mercer" for sure! That side shot with the fender mockup shows what a great "flow" it has. Everything works so beautifully together; the rake of the chassis, the length in front of the driver vs. that to the rear, the little ducktail on the rear fenders, even the nice way the gear levers parallel the steering column (Planned or happy accident?) Perfect!

24. GARY?

GARY?

Somehow I've been missing these posts. You guys have really got a bunch of nice work done in the last couple months!
    The turtle deck, the monocle, the stirrups.... if those don't sound like traditional hot rod parts :D

25. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I won't take credit for the design that is Clayton's doing. All I do is the mechanical components and a a few odds and ends. I would love to think my dad would have enjoyed driving this car.

Have great Memorial Day.

Chris Becker

26. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Your dad sure could have had quite a business with "T" accessory parts ! Would love to have checked it out when he was still making these neat parts.

Dave

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you for the wonderful compliments! This car, and the meaning behind it, means the world to Chris and I, so it is really means allot to hear such nice words from you all.

I am really honored to have been able to design the "Becker Special". Chris says "The design was all Clayton's doing..", but the design for the "Special" is just as much his as it is mine.

I could not be more pleased with how the proportions and "look" of the "Special" has turned out. The fenders you see here are also not patterns....there are the Real Deal. Once I have completed the finishing touches, these cardboard fenders will be sealed in fiberglass (resin and cloth) to make them stiff and water proof.

This was a process that my Dad was using for a few R/C model ships and that Bill was fascinated by. We had joked about trying this on a car and when we started the "Special"....it was only fitting.

28. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton and Chris,
    You two are sure making some great progress on the special. Looking forward to see the various parts as they are completed. Love the cardboard and fiberglass fenders ! Also like the parts that Chris made. It all comes together as a group effort and will truly represent the Speedsters of the past.

Good luck as you complete this work of love. Bill probably is up there with a big grin as he sees it all come together.

Dave

29. I have ridden in this car too. It's every bit as good as you would imagine. I am glad the next time it will have fenders. ;)

30. Keep up the great work men it is looking great. I like the fibreglass idea post a few picutres as that part comes together I am intersested in the technique.
    And I see the Mercer like qualities of the car now with the fenders and spares. Rob.