Register now to get rid of these ads!

MR SHORTY Returns to Washington after 18 years...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 COE, Sep 3, 2012.

1. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Last Fall worked deal with Uncle Bob to work on his '57 and he would return MR SHORTY which I sold to him 18 years ago. It has just been sitting outside in southern California ever since and never driven or started for most of that time.

Bob's '57

So last Wednesday we made the swap.... "This is the good side".... He says....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately he covered it with a tarp - which only collects moisture.... So I have my work cut out for me in more ways than one....

[​IMG]

Day 1 he arrived at 10AM and we unloaded her..... Then caught up on old times..... And went to the original Lemay collection for a break before loading up his '57 ....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 was spent cleaning her up, removing mice nests and spider webs - no bee nests anyways....

[​IMG]

Day 3 & 4 started with fogging oil in the cylinders, replacing all fluids and ignition parts. Repairing coil wires eaten in two by mice. Then she started with the same carb with very little coaching. Had to shut her down though because oil was pouring out above the tranny - the mice had chewed the plastic oil sender tube in half. :eek:

Day 5 Went to the "Rat Bastards" car club show at one of the few remaining XXX drive-ins. Saw a bunch of neat cars and got some good ideas. Buddy Holly's original tour bus was there in original aged condition.

XXX Drive-in Rootbeer

In fact I have a pic of MR SHORTY there at a XXX show in 1992. They have a show every Sunday in the Summer with a different car club. Later fixed oil sender tube. Ran her up to operating temp and she really sounded good considering all those years. However the fuel pump started leaking. The fuel tank was dry, maybe that's why the tank was empty. At least I had no old fuel to dispose of.

Day 6 today was spent replacing the fuel pump. Had to remove the radiator to gain access. That 472 Cadillac is a little tight for working on. :)

Not sure if she has brakes yet, but we are making progess.... Great to have her home again!

Also started a '62 Dodge Dart project just a couple weeks ago that has been in the family since 1969.... It gave me good practice getting a dormant engine running...

'62 Dodge Dart project

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like a unique project but, you sound happy to have it back. yep, too many people think they are helping things by throwing a tarp over a vehicle - oh well. get one of your projects done before getting too involved with another or progress may be real slow for both. have fun.

3. I was kind of wondering where that truck went.
    Good to see it back!

4. Love the truck and the story of bringing it back after 18yrs. I too was at the Triple XXX Rat Bastard's car show with all three of my Crusty Cruisers.

5. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Thanks all. Well that explains why I see those 3 trucks together at shows.

Yea MR SHORTY was kinda my 15 minutes of fame - real good to have her back. It's a visit to my past workmanship for the good, bad and funky.

;)

Maybe Chevy orange this time but they both will be rat like for a few years - have to sort out the mechanicals first on MR SHORTY and Grandpa's Dodge Dart. No rush, I have my lifetime. The deal on both rigs is they can never be sold.

I didn't even know until recently that the Cad engines are such hot little go getters.

Here's some good Cad engine reading.

Back in 1990 when I started the MR SHORTY build I just bought a whole running 1970 Deville for $50 from a lady at work. (She still works here and has to be pushing 75, making her a little old lady now).

I used as-is the engine/tranny/power brake booster/red leather seat etc from the Cad before scrapping the hulk for $25.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very cool truck!
    When I went in the service my dad thought he'd do me a favor and put clear plastic over my '57 Chevy to "protect it". When I came home on my first leave 6 mos. later it was rusty on every spot the plastic was touching. That was the end of the original paint job!

7. i like mr shorty, thats really cool you got him back. i am trying to find my uncles old gasser it would be awsome if i could. have fun with it.

8. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Thanks.... Here's before and after pics from the early '90's.... Guess I have new before pics now....

[​IMG]

9. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Great truck man! I've never really been a fan of COE's but seeing one done like this has changed my mind! What is that a 1500 Chevy frame?

10. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Back when i built it they were few and far between - now the COE craze is over so I guess it's new again. The back half is '73 1/2 ton frame grafted to the COE frame. The front suspension from the 1/2 practically bolted up to the COE frame.... I did it that way because of all the super structure for the cab. Saw a '40 Chev done the same in Street Rodder at the time - contacted the owner to get some pointers and went for it....

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. ...I remember that truck from back in the day, good luck with it, keep us posted.

12. CGkidd

CGkidd

I remember seeing it at shows around here. Good to see you got it back.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Welcome home, Mr. Shorty! This tall cool one has more personality than most...

(I didn't remember it having a Cad in it...All the 'cooler'...)

14. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Had several neighbors stop by who I don't even know, saying they remember it from 18 years ago. Built it orignally behind a 7' garage door. (The beast stands 7'5" tall) When it was finished, cut the tilt-out garage door 11" taller and scabbed onto the bottom of it... in order for the COE to see the light of day....

:)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  15. COE craze is over?
    I must have missed that email.
    , check out the COE social group here,
    I'd say it's alive and well!

16. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Don’t know if this place would have parts anyone might want – but I just found them. Guaranteed lowest price – same day shipping. I ordered a carb for the COE yesterday after 1:00PM and the shipping notices came same day. Shows will be delivered Monday! :cool:

http://www.streetsideauto.com/<O:p</O:p

Went thru 2 fuel new pumps trying to find one that would not leak &#8211; they would seep from the bottom fitting. Made in China I assume - both looked identical one branded Precision and one Airtex. Now I see Carter makes a pump for it, so might end up with that yet. American made!!
    <O:p</O:p

Even though we had it running up to temp that day, after all the fuel pump issues it was royally flooded. And I am sure that ancient carb was not helping. Didn&#8217;t learn my lesson on the Dart. :rolleyes:

The new Edelbrock 1406 and fuel pressure regulator should do the trick. Pulled the old Rochester carb last night and there was a good puddle of gas in the manifold.<O:p</O:p

Dart front disc brake kit arrives Monday too &#8211; and I got a monstrous puller for the rear hubs yesterday. Have tension on it &#8211; they say keep tightening it a turn every day until it pops off like a gunshot&#8230;&#8230; :eek:

'62 Dodge Dart Project

17. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

COE seems to need a timing chain now, rotor pointing a couple plugs off at TDC. High time for a Cloyes set looks like. Making room in the working garage by getting the Dart on the road.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. kooscoe

kooscoe

Wow great story. I know the truck from the first years I discoverd that COE trucks exist.
    You are one of the first to build A custom COE Truck. Great:D:D:D
    I started looking fore one in 1995. Found one in 2001 and now I want to sell my truck to build somting new. Hopfully I see the truck back in 18years.
    Have fun with your new old Truck.

19. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Moved the Dart around to the parking garage and towed / winched the COE into the working garage, pulled the hood, front wheels and radiator last night. Grille comes off next next then get into the engine and have a look at that timing chain. The front rotors and calipers are just covered in rust - something tells me it saw some ocean air in Fallbrock, CA long term outdoor storage (10 miles from the coast).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Driveway is uphill - so installed garage floor 2" receiver mount & winch both HF specials.....

[​IMG]

Looks like you have been having fun with yours...........

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  20. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

21. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Gasket sealing has never been my expertise. Got a cheese wiz tube of Permatex Right Stuff at NAPA and a bottle of Permatex aviation sealer to try. Tracking shows I will finally have the Cloyes timing set Wednesday. 9 days shipping by FedEx - must be their ultra economy service. :rolleyes:

That's OK, been using the time on fitting, cleaning and painting other parts. Got an HEI distrib and that's making more work. Had been using the original gas pedal and double bellcrank COE throttle contraption. Switching to a stainless spoon gas pedal and Lokar cable throttle linkage because the HEI is in the way. And will have to modify the floor boards for HEI clearance. It needed a 6 foot long throttle cable! Will be a much better set-up.

Filled the tranny again last night after letting blue RTV cure a week on the pan. Looks tight so far - if it springs a leak, the right stuff will get the nod.

Greased all the front and U-joint zerks last night, may drop the rear axle cover tonight. Who knows how old the gear oil is - at least 20 years. Then I can see what the gear ratio is too. Its a '73 heavy half 12 bolt rear I know that much. Should jack it up, spin a tire and see by chance if its a posi. Another gasket to practice making a perfect seal.

;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  22. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

It's alive! Warmed her up 4 different days now. She started right up first without touching the carb or distributor. Used a timing light on her at the first warmup.

No smoke, no other leaks, oil, tranny fluid, gear oil, water or other gas leaks - knock on wood. Hope it stays that way. I did end up using the "Right Stuff" on the tranny pan in place of the gasket, and in place of the front oil pan / timing cover rubber seal, both places that did the trick. The rear I used a new gasket and Permatex Aviation sealer to try it out. Has 3.07 gears and limited slip I discovered while I had her open. Water pump I used Permatex Hylomar. Think I like the Aviation sealer best as a gasket dressing, lots of working time.

Now to order a rear mount gas tank, work out the gas pedal and redo the floor over the HEI.

Just put the Blizzaks on my daily driver '07 GMC Duramax 2500, and as I rolled the Summer 18 inch wheels/tires by the COE made me think I could put them on it. Have 31's up front and 33's out back now on 15" wheels. These would be 32's all the way around, would raise the front 1/2" and lower the back 1/2". The Toyo's are kinda slippery in the wet, and been wanting to get Michelin M/S 2's for ithe daily driver year round. So that could speed that up.

[​IMG]

<!--graemlin::burnout:-->

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  23. What's happening with the COE?

24. 343w

343w

One cool COE, thanks for sharing!

25. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Mounted up the gas pedal the other day. Have an 84" Lokar cable, bracket and throttle springs coming from Summit Racing.

[​IMG]

Reworking the floor doghouse hump over the new air cleaner and HEI, pretty happy with how it's coming out so far. The shifter will be a couple inches higher too so that's a plus. Received a longer 72" cable for the B&M Unimatic shifter today also from Summit. They sure ship fast, just ordered on Tuesday, rec'd Friday including Thanksgiving. :cool: The 60" cable the shifter came with 20 some years ago was a bit short and routed too tight causing it to fray.

The removabe floor center hump and side pieces always fit really tight and it was always a struggle to get them in place. Realized they were just too long - sectioned them 1/8" and all fit great now. :)

[​IMG]

Recently discover these Goodyear E-Z coils that allows you to bend heater hose 90 degrees without kinking them. Have a pair of those coming from Summit too. That will eliminate extra joints and the need for pre-formed 90's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  26. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

I painted the floor boards redux last night and have them curing in the downstairs bathroom with one of those radiant oil filled heaters. Also installed the Goodyear E-Z coils since the rest of the Summit order came, they worked out nice. So looks like throttle cable/bracket tonight.

Started her up for the weekly warm-up and to check for leaks after the E-Z coil and heater hose install. No leaks - always nice to have new Gates hoses - those 22 some year old heater hoses were giving me a drip-drip. Thought I had a leak on the water pump install but now I see it was the hard-as-heck heater hose. Already replaced all other hoses, belts and vacuum lines.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  27. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Throttle cable, bracket and springs all installed. Floor boards all painted and in place...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi 53COE.Looks good.There were a few COE`s around when I was growing up.Some of them were fixed up pretty nice for the times(early to mid 60`s).They were all working trucks.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Yep - Some still are doing work on the farm. :cool:

Took a couple Craig listings but I found a home for the in-cab gas tank. Young guy getting his Grandpa's '52 3100 truck running and having rust particles in the line issues.

Ordered up a 17 gallon tank this morning to go out back between the bed rails. Won't rust anyway - it's plastic.

http://www.leadmineproducts.co...-dsh--1949-to/Detail

Already have this for a bed floor mount filler. Speedway Motors has the same thing at twice the price - got mine here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Boatpar...Search&_sid=20697348

Also found a decent deal on a PC1500 Odyssey battery here - best price I had seen next to the local Sears store. (Platinum DieHards are made by Odyssey).

http://autoplicity.com/products/213...o4&network=g&gclid=COGJvomQgbQCFSPhQgodxiAAzQ

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platin...p-02850034000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

:cool:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  30. sololobo

sololobo

Very cool project, when I saw the Mr. Shorty I had to check it out. This is my wifes pet name for my little dick! Oh well, he is retired just like me anyway. Thanx for sharing this cool project with us. Very cool truck, what a bonus on the posi high ratio rear gears. ~sololobo~