Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks royalshifter...if this car sat and never fired it would still be damn pretty...and yes I used pretty for a fuel car...because these cars were and will always will be.

Attached Files:

2. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Now were grilling burgers with Harris. Fudge I can't wait to find another car and do this all over again.

Attached Files:

3. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Axles...installed. Steering link picked up from chromer today...check.

Attached Files:

4. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thought I would add this pic of the truck poppin the top....

Attached Files:

5. Fs2034

Fs2034

Boy This is fun fixing up old cars!

6. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

It sure is!!

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Lookin Good !! Did you ever find anymore history on Bellflower Automotive?

8. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

No...never got a lick on Ray Standoff or anything to do with Bellflower Auto Center. Just as some of these parts have turned up I'm sure something will on Bellflower Auto Center or Ray Standoff....

9. Chuy, I worked for Ray Standoff at Bellflower Auto Center in 65, and he and Richard DeGonia had a blown Olds powered AA/FMR that they race against Gary and Cagle and Frank Pedregon etc. at Lions. Did Ray build the chassis or was it Eddie Potter? If you ever run across any information about the Standoff and DeGonia car as you work on yours please let me know (by PM) - BTW, Gary Cagle's son is on the HAMB if you didn't already know and I believe he's got his dad's car restored.

10. Chuy, the "sure chute" deal with the release lever (and the drawer pull) at the top of the brake handle was being built by a guy I think was called "Doc" and may have had the last name Patterson (not sure) there at Bellflower Auto Center- When Ray was putting the "Playboy" Olds powered car together Eddie Potter came over one night to do the belly pan - he just gas welded it with a strip of the same material. Ray's car was painted and lettered by Cerny / Kelly in a shop over by Super Shops in Downey - metalflake Peacock with gold leaf lettering - it was a beauty. I have a Bellflower Auto Center Jacket (I think it also says Ramco on it) from 65 - If you'd like it I'll contribute it.

11. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Wow...I'm speechless right now...

12. Fs2034

Fs2034

CHUY SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to cool.

13. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

That's just bitchin! You sir are a saint.

14. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

nmpontiac,
    can you elaborate more on the " sure chute " release lever

15. "Gary Cagle's son is on the HAMB if you didn't already know and I believe he's got his dad's car restored."

Why yes he is and it's not a restoration,but a re-creation.
    My mom & I granted informal permission for another guy to re-create the car,but have not ONCE been asked to just hang out when he presents,or participates with it.
    I learned.

Good luck with the Cochran car,,we raced that thing numerous times.

Troy Cagle

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I missed this thread also...I must be living in a cave!

What an awesome job you guys are doing, and what a tribute!! :cool:

You must be having a ball...keep the info and updates coming.

17. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I really can't thank you all for checking the thread out. I will have some more pics coming up soon. This thing is really coming along.
    Robert

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I honestly can't thank you enough. The killer part about this build is how everyone comes together to contribute. I have met more guys with history building this thing than I could ever imagine. This past Saturday Steve and I hung out with the guy that's painting this thing at Bakersfield Nitro nights. We had some beers and sat in his motorhome between rounds. Damn cool. I really cant thank the contributors enough. the HAMB has been the best provider for parts contacts and good friends. If anyone out there has bought sold or placed a thread on the HAMB you should buy membership. Keep the spirit alive. nmPontiac...I'll be in touch :)
    Robert

19. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Hey Troy-
    You are more than welcome to hang out with us at the Hot Rod Reunion. I think it's way cool that ours raced your dads (THE original one). It sucks that the recreators have not asked you to be a part of it at all...actually it's Bullshit. Maybe they might come to their senses. I did see it the last time at Don Prietos taco party but not asking you to be a part of it, totally disrespectful.
    Be well man and thanks for well wishes.
    Robert

20. Troy, sorry I didn't see your earlier posts since I went right to the last page and posted. I've read them all now - sorry to have skipped over yours. I think we talked once about this, but what did you do for a trans? I can't imagine the B&M Torkmaster is still alive all these years later - If I remember right your dad had a lot of trouble getting that thing out of gear once it was in and some guys used that as a means to attempt to burn him down. That's from memories of Lions 45 plus years ago.

21. Pete and Robert, I will sketch up the "sure-chute" as best I can tonight - it may have started out as a Model A handbrake but if I remember correctly we switched over to chromoly tubing - I think they were mostly "pull" levers and the catch was on the front edge - helping to make it harder to accidentally activate.

22. Fs2034

Fs2034

This is SO cool. Anything more you can tell us about this car, would be so welcome! Keep it coming.

Fred ( Fs2034)

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Im waiting for pics from this crazy cooter that ported the heads. They look killer in person but I need to show the world these FE heads...

24. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

No curve no twist...this is what compressed air and nitro will see before the mag lights it off and spits it out the exhaust.

Attached Files:

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

This is where all the business happens then gets spit out the exhaust. I love fresh parts...

Attached Files:

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Troy, it's to bad these guy's weren't doing a restro or recreation of your dads car, if they were, you and your mom both would get some seat time, When you read through this thread it doesn't take long to see their main focus is to get Gary back in the seat again, Pretty cool deal for this day and age. Tim Jones BTW heads look good Robert

27. Hey no kidding!
    I can tell you there's a LOT going on behind the scenes re: the recreation of my dads car.More (all) will be revealed before the CHRR.
    Those heads are beautful by the way,,I learned how to do port work of a set of '69 428 CJ heads,,basically the same ones pictured.I remember that damn BUMP in the exhausts driving me nuts!(hello fnl!)

28. Fs2034

Fs2034

I think Chuy is on Vacation...

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Oh I'm here...just trying to figure out what to put on next....hmmm.

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

I hate stripping paint...

Attached Files: