Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Mr. Chevy" '55 car hauler project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chevy Gasser, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

Many of you have seen the '55 Chevy gasser a buddy of mine built back in the '60's. I bought it 5 years ago and cleaned it up to display. It has been at the Garlits museum for the past 2 years. Ever since I got the car I have been trying to get the truck that has been so much a part of the cars history. It finally happened. It is in the same condition from the accident 35 years ago. The left front fender is missing, there is still a gash in the drivers door, the front left spring took such a hit is literally broke, both left side rim lips were bent. The truck has been sitting outside the last 5 years and it shows. This will take more work than the car did. It will need complete new paint. I think the engine will need rebuilding, it is free but 5 cyls. have less than 25 lbs. compression. The seats are somewhat stained and threads seperating in places but I think I will try to keep them. The interior will need new paint but it still has the cool custom das knobs and original radio! Here's a couple pictures, there are more on my website and if you go to the page "Back in the day" there are a couple pictures with "Mr. Chevy" loaded up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Will be cool to see them reunited! Awesome work - and great job of keeping with getting the truck!!! :)

3. Got any pictures from back then when they were together ?

4. As he stated in the post above.. The pic is on his site. As are more pics of the car.

[​IMG]

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

awesome , some rolling history , cool that you can reunite the car and hauler when finished ,

6. 77powerwagon

77powerwagon

you squirt a few drops of oil in the cylinders to see if that bumps up the compression?

7. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Oh man, that red tow car is right on! No bumpers, black steelies and narrow-stripe whites up front! Perfect!

[​IMG]

Nose-up stance, mild de-chrome (hood) and eyebrows on the headlights!

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

9. Love the thread, keep it coming! :D

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

NICE !!!
    Cheers.....

11. How did they load the car on a deck that tall? It have super long ramps?

12. Subscribed. Even if it's a Chevy:D

13. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this pair back together. LOVE the matching interior on that truck!!

14. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

The one thing that didn't survive the passage of time with the truck. There were two, long, aluminum ramps that sold with the truck at the estate sale. They are barely visible in one of the old photographs. The guy who bought the truck was a scrapper. I think they may have been sold off years ago.

15. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

16. I was wondering about the ramps, I'd love to see a pic of them.

17. 55sd

55sd

That's awesome! Love the "Mr Chevy" too. Got one of the post cards of it from the museum stuck on my tool box at work. Keep us posted.

18. biscaynes

biscaynes

19. dave phritzie

dave phritzie
    from us

Maybe the aluminum ramps were the same as the ones used on uhaul furnature moving trucks. I have the same (flatbed) setup on my one ton that I use to haul Vega's and Nova's with, but I drive them onto my car trailer and then use the ramps to drive onto the one ton, adding a dove tail is in my future plans.

20. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How cool is that. The car and it's hauler reunited.

21. Butch M

Butch M

way cool.......

22. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I'm sorry I haven't kept the updates real current but here are a few pictures of the work in progress. There are more on my website. I fired the replacement engine a couple days ago. I don't have the radiator on yet so I haven't tuned it yet. Right now it is running through two straight pipes, these will be routed up into stacks after it gets painted. My daughter has a video camera so I hope to get a little film footage so you can hear how it sounds. I am trying to have it "showable" in a couple months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Larry, glad to see you finally got it, looking good

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is looking good. The gold paint on the engine really looks good.

25. draider

draider
    from Texas

Lookin good! Thats gonna be a sweet rig.

26. High5

High5

Glad to see the car and hauler reunited once more! Keep the pictures coming.

27. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

28. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

That is one cool duo of double nickels!!!!!!

29. 5559

from tn

looking good