Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to TEXAS in July....hambers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckIII, Jan 28, 2010.

1. chuckIII

chuckIII

Just got new orders and I am moving to Fort Hood, Texas in July and just wandering who is out there and what is out there?

Thanks...:cool:

2. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

You will love texas

3. fuel

fuel

I'm originally from the Gatesville area (North Fort Hood). Another HAMBer, Geophyguy, is from Gatesville. You will find A LOT of hot rodders from the Gatesville area, but not necessarily HAMBers. There are some old hot rodders there that would fit in well on the HAMB, but don't know how to turn on a computer. LOL. Gatesville has a strong car club there that puts on a pretty good local car show.

If you are looking for a badass house (loft) with a badass shop in the area let me know. Mine's for sale. It's fixed up nice on the inside, over 4000 SF and cheap. Has big rollup doors, loading dock, overhead hoist, etc.

4. nail-head

nail-head

Austin ain't too far from Hood, either. Always stuff to do in Austin.

5. fuel

fuel

BTW, ChuckIII, when you move down here, gimme a holler. I'll show you around and introduce you to several people.

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Tejas is the bomb!!

7. chuckIII

chuckIII

Thanks, I will have holla at you when I get down there...I m always up for meeting hotordders, and as for your previous post about the old guys those are my favorite hotrodders...I love picking thier brains...o and any pics of the house (loft) ;), sure my wife will say no but its worth a look you never know what she would say :D

8. chuckIII

chuckIII

yea that's what I hear...I m excited about going to Austin...

9. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Fine people in Texas. I drove from Philly to Fort Worth to buy my Shoebox from a guy I met here on the HAMB. Great people, thet were real nice. I told them the drive down wasn't bad, i got a flat in Little Rock so i was riding on my spare. They insisted on fixing my spare! Coming from the east coast that was unexpected, Awesome people!

10. 68Caddy

68Caddy

Some good people in Texas.

11. texas is the birth place and the capital of the HAMB

12. BBobb

BBobb

Welcome home

13. H.G. Wells

H.G. Wells

Ah, Texas... the state that thinks it is a country.

I am a transplant and love it here. Great people and just about anything you want to do here. Mountains, beaches, forests, and desert depending on where you want to be that day. Welcome.

14. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

CHUCK...if you like cow, cow girls, long norns(cows), oil wells, horses, rodeo's, and last but not LEAST! hotrod's custom's and dragracing! well son come on down pardner in sit a spell. shucks i'll even pinch off a piece of backy for you cowboy! HA!...POP.

15. The Shocker

The Shocker

Texas is the shit.I suck and i fit in perfectly.Born in San Antonio ,and will proly die here if im lucky ...:)

16. thebugbox

thebugbox

Lots of Texas HAMBers it seems...

17. moter

moter

18. Big Tony

Big Tony

Austin is only about 45 minutes away, Lampassas has a rod shop there and there is a couple killerlittle rod show in that area in the summer months... You need to make the Round in April since you will be in Okie land

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Bring your A game. We play serious around here, but we smile the whole time!

PM me when you get a chance, I have something you might be able to help with when you get settled in.

Oh, and Welcome!

20. I spent many years there in the 1st Cav and the 2nd AR. But,,,,why not wait until August when it's really freeking hot....LOL

21. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

everyone is movin here while im tryin to get out! lol

22. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

DA Hood and Killeen in general suck!! Every chance you get you need to head out!
    I was stationed there for 2 1/2 years, and I don't think I was ever there on a weekend. I wasn't into the traditional and custom car scene when I was there. but I sure do wish I was.

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Of course Texas is great, Its the birthplace of the HAMB! rhd, you just need to get out of DFW. Thats a meat grinder.

24. chuckIII

chuckIII

Lol...I say July will be hot enough :cool:...I m going to be with the 69th Air Defense Artillery Brigade...:D..."If it flies...it dies!!!!

25. fuel

fuel

I'll give you my opinion of the towns around there, although I might get flamed for it. LOL.

I have to agree with kimb82, killeen is pretty ghetto. It looks like this >>> Pawn Shop, Pawn Shop, Tattoo Parlor, Pawn Shop, Tittie Bar, Pawn Shop, Pawn Shop, Liquour Store, Pawn Shop, Tattoo Parlor, Pawn Shop, Beer Joint, Pawn Shop, Pawn Shop. I've been there hundreds of times and it never seemed to have much of a sense of community at all. Too many parasites feeding off of young GIs with $ to spend, IMO. I'm not a fan of Harker Heights (It basically runs right into Killeen and is basically the same city) or Copperas Cove either. About 80%-90% of the crime in Coryell County (where Gatesville is located) is from Copperas Cove.

I'm not saying Gatesville is a paradise. FAR FROM IT. It has it's share of methheads and dipshits, but it's not bad. At least there is still the belief that you should be able to do what you want on your own land. There are 5 auto parts stores in town, 3 of which are independently owned Mom & Pop stores. Lots of guys with hot rods, muscle cars, 4x4s, rat rods, etc. You probably won't see them out alot (except the 4x4s) but they're there. Food in Gatesville sucks. Forget about eating out. Taxes ain't too bad though. All the pretty women move out as soon as they graduate and don't come back unless they are married and have kids. Lots of fat, ugly hoes. Just ask Geophyguy. LOL.

Belton is a really pretty town with some amazing Victorian and Craftsman style architecture. It is also about 45 min from North Austin. The taxes are really high in Belton, though. They have a sushi bar there which is a big plus to me. LOL. If you are into rodeo, there is a good rodeo there every year and a nice convention center. There is also a dude over there on the loop with a bunch of old cars.

Belton Lake is nearby and it is really one of the best lakes in Texas. Really nice. I used to ski and wakeboard alot over there. If you are into that, let me know and I'll give you the lowdown on it.

Temple is OK, but the drivers there suck for some reason. The downtown has the funkiest layout ever. All the odd numbered streets run one direction and the even numbered streets run the other. Until you figure that out, it's hell finding the right street address. LOL. It has a mall, though which is nice sometimes.

I don't have as much experience with Lampasas, but from what I've experienced it's a nice town. The rivers there are really pretty and I think the fishing is good or at least it used to be. Kikkin Street Rods are located there too.

Oh and get ready for Summer Camp in Fort Hood. It is unbelievably HOT. All those cedars and no breeze. Ticks used to be terrible out there.

26. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

lol WE ARE A COUNTRY!

you will have a great time being that close to Austin.

27. moter

moter

Texas is larger than France!:D

28. wow I didn't see this thread, I *JUST* posted about possibly moving to Texas. Everyone really is moving there!

29. chuckIII

chuckIII

First of all...fuel thanks for all the info :D

Second...I have a morbid sense curiosty to ask Geophyguy about the fat hoes...lol :eek:

Third...we (my wife and I) are planning on moving down there and probably renting a place for a year to get a sense of the area and then find something a little more permanent (maybe buy or rent something nice for however long we are there). This little bit of informatin really does help. We are looking in the Killeen-Copperas Cove area to rent first...is that a bad idea?

30. chuckIII

chuckIII

It must be that damn cool!! :D