Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Moving to Richmond Virginia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Killer, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Killer

Killer

seriously! :)

my wife got a job offer that she's stoked about... she has to be there by Jan 5th to start the new gig... I'll follow after the house sells or I finish the 2 projects I'm working on now... whichever happens first!! They're paying to relocate... including my garage!

so what is there to do car wise in the Richmond area? Tell me the the stuff a car guy needs to know.. I've heard the car laws in Virginia can be a pain. altered suspension... loud exhaust, safety inspection, etc???

Anyone need anything welded??? Cause I need a job! hahaha

Thanks!
    J

2. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

You need to go talk to Doug Walker at Joe Smith Early Ford. Great guy and very cool shop. No nonsense bullshit, just building stuff that kicks ass. They also do a weekly bbq/food get togethers. I would start there for sure. Good luck in VA!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Laws are more Relaxed then SoCa , 2 or 3 1/4 mile drags around Richmond
    ( Petersburg & Richmond )
    StreetRacing & HotRod & Car Culbs all around ,
    60 miles N Manassas Va lots of Hot Hods @A
    BurgerKing on Saturday night
    Manassas airport rout 28 .
    The owner is A Cub member & car Guy

But it is nothing like SoCa !!!!
    Temp today 39 F

4. I used to live there, loved it. Check out the Virginia social group on here. You'll be only a couple of hours away from Baltimore and the annual Rodder's Journal show, one of the best anywhere, also the Jalopyrama in Annapolis is just up the road a little bit.

5. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

AED Advanced Engine Design is a nice old hot rod shop that builds killer Holley carbs and Johnnie that runs the front is the best there is as far as knowing his business--chassis dynos, dyno, Best carbs anywhere--good guys on Willis rd

6. .................................Do this for sure. They're a pretty active bunch, always got good stuff going on, Shop tours and tech seminars, Moonshine runs, Hot-rod breakfasts, etc. The Karb Kings are a very active club with an annual show near Fredericksburg. NASCAR visits the 3/4 mile track at the Richmond Fairgrounds twice a year with arguably some of the best racing on their circuit. Even though the Richmond area isn't as "industrial" as it may have been in the past ( it's kinda enjoying a bit of a cosmopolitan renaissance) you should still be able to find work as a skilled welder....Good luck................................Don.

D-Russ likes this.
  7. Car laws? Car laws? We don't need no stinking car laws!

If you have antique registration, no state inspection needed.

No sniffer test. No CARB rules. These don't apply to ANY car.

8. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Also don't forget your not that far from trog, jalopy showdown, carlisle, and hershey

9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Run to the Sun in Myrtle Beach, SC is a great show held every March.

Welcome to the right coast. It's the dope daddy-o!

10. 56shoebox

56shoebox

You'll like the Richmond area. It's very scenic and if you like NASCAR the big shops aren't to far away to visit. I hear Pettys Garage is very hospitable.

11. Killer

Killer

joined the social group! Thanks!

keep the info coming... we don't mind driving for a good show.

any recommendations for someone who does good driver quality chrome? powder coating? How about upholstery?

I'm sure I'm going to have a million questions over the next few months... hope you guys don;t mind!

12. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Hanlon Plating in Richmond.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those only apply to cars made after 1975 here.

There is no safety inspection, on any car.

You only get a ticket for illegal stuff if you piss off a cop.

Oh, and we don't have winter.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not doing that. Just correcting the record.

15. Heavy Rebel Weekender in Winston-Salem, Nc. Awesome show every July 4th weekend. I live about a hour from Richmond, near Lynchburg. Lots of cars in this area, I drive a Willys, have had a all steel 32 Ford 5 window with a 468 BB with zoomies no fenders and huge Mickey Thompsons. If you have original antique tags the laws can be pretty slack as long as they don't see you driving it every day, but I have been pulled over before too, ticket got thrown out thank goodness, judge could see the cop was just out to get older cars. Good luck in Richmond!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No one mentioned the weekend car show and East Coast Hall of Fame ceremony in Henderson N.C.

17. Love Henderson, Nc. Huge show, I was there this year too. Then I went to the Restoration Reunion in Dinwiddie. Nostalgic Drags and car show. Really great show too.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!