Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 18n57, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 18n57

18n57

Moving back to northern Iowa. Been outta state for 33 yrs, so I've lost touch with Iowa vehicle laws.
    How does Iowa treat old car guys? Are there special plates for hot rods, YOM plates are OK here in SoDakota..how 'bout Iowa. Everything I have is titled in SD, so don't expect any problems with registration; except cost will be higher!:rolleyes:
    Are there inspection laws?
    Oh, and how about tips on Iowa-based hot rod events.
    Thanks

2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I don't know of any special plates for hotrods. Lots of guys run yom plates here. If your cars are currently titled in your name, I don't think there will any problem getting IA titles for them. At this time there are no inspections other than for rebuilt wrecks and specially constructed vehicles. I'm no expert, but I don't think you'll have any problems. Welcome back, when you get here. There's a great garage tour in northwest IA sometime in the winter ( do a HAMB search for it).

Blue

3. Master of None

Master of None

Where at in Northern Iowa? There is a pretty good hot rod support groups in my area.

4. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey Steve, wow moving huh.?? Exciting. Good for you. When? I feel your pain......

5. inlinr6

inlinr6

I have YOM plates for my 48 coupe and my 59 Apache.just need to keep the regular plates in the vehicle.Had no problems titling anything with a title,in Scott County

6. redzula

redzula

I asked my brother in law (police officer in West Des Moines) to check into it a while back when I was getting some old plates. And he said to just register it like normal. Put the sticker on the plate and keep them in the vehicle. I keep mine in the trunk never had anyone stop me and I'm always out driving in our old cars

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Moving for the warmer winters?:eek:)

8. 18n57

18n57

Sorry, no..it's northern Iowa:rolleyes:

9. 18n57

18n57

Hey, Tom
    Moving, yes...it's as fun and popular as going to the...IRS office!
    Moving mid-August...weather is pleasant then!

10. 18n57

18n57

Just north of Forest City. Not so far to Rockwell City. Road work still ongoing on Hwy 20?

11. stlroken

stlroken

Welcome back to Iowa. Clear Lake area seems to always have quite a few "rod' events going on. Try [email protected] has a lot of iowa event listed. oldcarrides.com also has quite a listing by state.

12. Master of None

Master of None

Four lane is open all the way to Early, its nice smooooth cruising! Stop by the shop if your ever in the area.

13. Yeah, southern Iowa is much warmer....not. I was born and raised in Mason City. I can remember driving home from the Minneapolis auto auction about 30 years ago in a tired CJ5 with a cloth, tattered top and the wind chill factor was -95 degrees, I moved to south Texas! Spring and fall is beautiful and snow ( at Christmas time, only ) is fun. Best of times to ya!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Just North of Forest City is basically Canada. There's a huge difference in climate from where I am 2 hrs South. But welcome back. As far as car stuff goes, I dunno about your local area, but you're fairly close to the Twin Cities so you're bound to find ample goings on there.

15. out plowing

out plowing

Welcome from Waverly ia

16. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

Why would you go back to iowa

17. suedestude

suedestude

welcome back to Iowa.

18. stimpy

stimpy

because its a hell of a lot better than Shitcago ....

19. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out the Torque Fest show in Dubuque in the Spring.