Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moving to Houston

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODSWE, Jan 6, 2013.

1. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Hi all
    I'm packing up for moving to Houston, not a big step for mankind but a giant step for me and my family, moving all the way from Sweden!
    I've sold my roadster to be able to get something new over there, please wish me luck and I hope to see some of you guys there!
    Any leads on 32, 35-36, 39 coupes for sale is appreciated also.

/Ulf

2. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Please do not judge Texas by Houston.

Welcome

3. All of TEXAS is good,some parts just better than others.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome, HRS! Allow me to welcome you ahead of time to the U.S.

I'm thinkin' that after you've been here for a while, you're gonna have one heck of a funny sounding Swedish/Southwest accent! "Yah...ve like ya'll hot rods." :D

All the best.

5. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck and congratulations man.

Made a move like that once myself, all I can say is have patience, a LOT of patience. It's a whole new world and no matter how well you come to know everything and everyone you will still find yourself shaking your head from time to time and wondering W.T.F?

Cheers,
    (And good luck finding a new car!!)
    Doc.

6. good luck, the wife and i are going to look around the hill country while we are at the roundup.

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Are you on bath salts? And I'm not talking about the moving to Houston part. I'm guessing you have a reason of some sort for that. I'm referring to the selling the roadster part! Don't sell it, bring it with you!! It's not going to be easy or cheap to find a comparable replacement for that.

8. Houston's a great city...a world class city. Great communities & schools out west of Houston (Katy area), look me up when you get here...would be happy to buy you a plate of world famous Goode Company BBQ.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Funny, all I do when I'm out is think WTF. He'll fit right in. Especially since he's coming when Houston has it's yearly, 3 week rodeo.:D WTF indeed.

10. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

welcome!!!

I live north, in Tomball. Tomball & Magnolia are good places to look for a place/shop. Houston has no zoning laws, but they do have deed restrictions. If you want to have "un licenced" cars then look for un restricted property. down side is you may have to live next door to someone like me...lol (12+ cars in the back shop area currently, but I gotts tall trees)

welcome, and pm me as I'd like to meet ya

dr

11. Why Houston ? Out of all the places you could move to in the us

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Considering what he does for a living, work.

13. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

a warm welcome to here. Feel free to contact me also. I live in katy also. When your out here feel free to contact and we could meet up. Its a good place to live even if some people around here arent used to hot rods...

14. Fewer hippies & better sea food :)

15. tylersloan

tylersloan
    from baytown tx

im in beach city next to Houston get a hold of me some time when you get here

16. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

That's a big move especially with a family, good on you man. I admire that. The wife and I have been procrastinating moving to the US from Canada, which is a far cry from moving from Sweden but we always find a reason not to, mostly because we are to scared to leave stability, lol.

Good luck to you and yours!!

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like Houston just fine, lots to do in town and in the area. The Johnson Space Center is neat, Austin is close, the coast is close, Hill Country is close, nothing you can't find there. Live out towards Katy as I do, or Sugarland.

18. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Houston is like a steam bath. It's a seaport, though 50 or so miles inland. Rent a house to start, don't buy until you figure out where you want to live.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

19. dr dodge

dr dodge
    from tomball tx

words of wisdom there
    when I first moved here, I was told:

before you buy, check the place 3 times
    morning commute, evening commute, and 2 in the morning crime sweep
    it was amazing how many places failed one of them

and now hwy290 has lost points on the first two criteria

dr

20. derpr

derpr

good luck see you at the round up

21. Pugly

Pugly

Houston is a cesspool. I grew up there and still work there. Anyone who talks great about Houston doesn't live there... Just like me. I live 20 miles out of Houston... Katy Tomball, Magnolia, Woodlands, Richmond, all great areas to raise a family. The North side has a larger car culture than the south or west side. Stay away from the east side.

y'all may hate me.... but you know it's the truth.

22. Sam Navarro

Sam Navarro

I'm 40 minutes South of Houston in Texas City, Tx. I like it closer to the water & not the "Big City" feel, I do however like that I am under an hour away from the "Big City" for car shows, bands & mueseums etc....... Welcome to Texas, it's the best State in the Union.

SN

23. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I grow weary of the anti-Houston snobbery that those in Austin and Dallas seem to cradle.

I grew up in Austin...lived there for over 25 years.

So let me tell you...Austin is way overrated and Houston is way underrated.

Houston has way fewer hippies/mother earth types - the type of people who would love to see your '32 off the road and replaced with a Prius. Houston is humid but no more humid than Austin - at least not enough to make any difference. There are almost no mosquitoes in Houston; in Austin they are a constant problem. In Austin you have to bust your ass to find a piece of steel or aluminum - in Houston not so.

Austin was pretty cool 20 years ago but it's gotten so overgrown there's not much to distinguish it from any other large city anymore.

Same goes for Dallas.

24. HOTRODSWE

HOTRODSWE

Unfortunately the Roadster is already sold! Its in Denmark now, I miss it but I guess I could build a new one if I want.

Thanks for the words

25. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Good luck getting used to that HEAT!

26. XL-FE

XL-FE

I´m above the Arctic circle and could use some warm weather, so,
    Good Luck !

27. BLAKE

BLAKE

The only truly bad thing about Houston is the summer heat and humidity. Otherwise, it's a matter of what you make of it. Houston has LOTS of great food and nightlife, and there's always plenty to do in-town. Personally, I prefer 'inside the loop' (downtown-ish) to the forever-sprawling, look-alike suburbs surrounding the city, but that's just my opinion.

There's also plenty of hot rod activity in/around Houston and the surrounding area... and Austin is just a pleasant 150-mile drive away!!

28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hey hey , so am i . be there in two to three weeks.....youll love it...nice people..lots of car culture....mac

29. Bearcat_V8

Bearcat_V8
    from Dexter, MI

I've got a brother who lives in the Houston area. He lived in Katy for a while, a real nice place. He lives out on the north side near Magnolia now, also a nice area, though his daughter preferred Katy schools. I try to get down there once or twice a year to visit. If you like to eat, there is probably the greatest variety of restaurants anywhere, Mexican, South American, Asian, you name it. I think you are really going to like it there. Good luck.

30. txturbo

txturbo

Welcome....I live on the SW side. No way I would ever live "in" Houston.