Register now to get rid of these ads!

moving a car dilema

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GDoug76, May 9, 2007.

1. GDoug76

GDoug76

So here is my dilema, I found a deal to not pass up but it is in San Diego and I live in Washington state. So I plan on Flying down to San Diego to pick up my future project. And Im looking for a reasonable and affordable way to move it. The best thing i have come up with is to get a uhaul and put it the back of the truck and drive back. So does anyone have any other ideas??? Or maybe anyone along I 5 north needing anything delivered or moved up to Washington. Im stopping just North of Portland Oregon. And I plan this journey to be the weekend of May 19, 2007. I would be willing to give a good deal to move some parts to help off set the gas prices.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

If it is a rolling vehicle I don't think it is legal to haul in a rental trunk. If something happens the insurance is null & void.

3. GDoug76

GDoug76

It is a rolling vehicle, I did not know that, good to know thanks.

4. brewsir

brewsir

So don't get the insurance since it'll be null and void anyway. I rented a Uhaul near Tijuana recently. Told them I needed to get to Oakland area. about $207 one way...but 40 miles farther to MY town (which has a uhaul station) was over $500 !!! So if you go Uhaul try to end in a big city!

5. GDoug76

GDoug76

thanks for the tip on that

6. Maybe try a post in the 'for sale' section with an 'empty truck' post; see if someone can chip in with gas money or etc.

Best o' luck!

-bill

7. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

My buddies just did the opposite run a while back. They flew to Seattle and rented a U-haul and u-haul trailer. They put a 36 ford sedan in the truck and a big Dodge behind the truck on the trailer.. Headed south toward the central coast of Cali...made it No problems at all..EVILT

8. compare the gas your going to use + the cost of the uhaul truck + time off of work to get it, compare it to having trucking service pik it up and take it for you.

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

If you're going to put the car inside the truck, you might want to look at a Ryder or other rental. The governours on those U-Haul trucks can be a pain in the butt when pulling the hills.

I hauled a couple of vehicles down here about ten years ago, put a '56 chevy pickup in the back of the truck using a roll-back, and trailered the other, worked O.K., but brace the vehicle inside the truck against the front wall w/ some tires or other padding.

All of that said, put together some generous estimates of what it would cost for you to do this and compare to someone like Ben D.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

10. GDoug76

GDoug76

everyone thanks for all the input. Looks like i will be going with Pantown haulers from the hamb here.

11. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Hey Doug, its a good thing you finaly figured it out! its a good thing you decided to put off the bike!

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

X2, with gas, rental, and one way airfare there's no savings to doing it yourself

Now if you're doing it for adventure's sake, go for it with a buddy's truck and a U-haul trailer. What is it, a thousand miles each way? I routinely do 475 solo miles after working all day friday. 1000 with a buddy....total gravy.

Good Luck!

13. spudshaft

spudshaft

I've rented a u-haul truck and a u-haul trailer on 2 occassions. Both were for about 250-300 miles. It's not too pleasant. Loud, slow, hard to see out of, and a fortune in gas. That being said, I'd probably do it again for the adventure of it. My advice is to avoid a van based truck. The heat from the engine kind of cooked my leg.

14. LUSK

LUSK

Dont forget to post photos of your car for us right when you get it back home!