Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mounting Cowl...wider than frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRS, Nov 20, 2015.

1. HRS

HRS

I dragged this old pump station home back in 2008 and have been packing it around since...a few moves, a few jobs and a marriage since, its time to get working.

The plan is to build a simple lakes modified from the cowl, a hood turned upside down and scratch made doors. But we will get to that. My question lies in mounting the cowl, as that will be the cornerstone of the build.

So, I took the firewall out of the cowl, and want to mount it, but the firewall (and thus cowl) is about 3 inches wider than the frame and the mounts. Unlike most Fords, the most forward, narrowest part of the cowl, does not intersect the frame. And the "L" mounts for the cowl substructure are on the outside of the frame rails.

As you can see in the pics, the cowl overhangs the frame by a good 1.5 inch on either side of the frame.

My question is how would you guys mount the firewall and cowl that extends so far beyond the frame and does not intersect?

My writing is probably too lengthy and a few pics are, well...worth more....

Attached Files:

2. I would build a bracket that reached out from the frame to the cowl foot. It could actually be done with 2" angle iron and be just a simple L that either bolted or welded to the frame.

3. Put a couple little L shaped feet on the frame .

4. HRS

HRS

I'm probably overthinking it....per usual.....

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

6. Kinky6

Kinky6

Looks like you've got that answered. Ijust wanted to say that your frame remnant would be a great start for a 3-Springer type modified, extend the rails a little and add an A rear cross member, and you're in business. Maybe use a early '50's Ford or Chevy pickup front axle to sort-of match your engine choice, and you got it going on! K6