Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mounting body to frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dads-53, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Dads-53

Dads-53

Need imput, mounting body down on my 50 and was planning on using 1/4 inch neoprem washers between body and mount then another under mount. Any thoughts on how you have done it would be helpful. Thanks Dad

2. Roddingron

Roddingron
    from NE PA

It looks like your talking about a truck body mount, so....
    If you put a mount between the frame and body at all of the bolt locations you should be good. Don't know of any advantage to putting an additional mount underneath.

I've only ever put insulation between the frame and body and have had no issues with any of the cars I've done in the past.

Just one mans opinion

3. Dads-53

Dads-53

business coupe but same dif. Thanks for feed back . The only thing was to prevent any frame noise, was my thought.

4. john56h

john56h

The thing I don't like about rubber washers is their tendancy to trap moisture which could lead to premature rust at the body mounts.

If 1/4" of rubber is all you are going to get, it might not be worth it. By the time the bolts are tightened, most of it will be squeezed out and you'll have metal to metal contact anyway. The rubber might actually allow the bolts to be looser and promote movement which will make the noise you are trying to avoid. You may be just better off with solid mounts, no rubber and TIGHT bolts.

Just my 2 cents worth...I'm sure there are others with more experience and better advice.

5. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

You may want to consider conveyor belting. W. W. Grainger has it in several material combinations, and it's corded, so will be less likely to squirm on you.

6. Like sliderule67 said, get something that's corded. Hell, you can even cut your own from the side wall of an old tire.

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You didn't mention what make your vehicle is. If it is a Ford, Dennis Carpenter Reproductions probably makes a body to frame mounting kit for it which duplicates the factory setup. Can't go wrong there.

8. Dads-53

Dads-53

Thanks for imput, 50 Cheve bus coupe. Think I will go with corded belting, looked at friend's 51 yesterday and it's about 1/4 inch but looks belted. just between body and mount only.
    Thanks again Dad