Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mounting a tach in a non normal spot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoplias, Jul 26, 2008.

1. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

My friend has a falcon and he wants to mount a tach were i posted pic of .We are just not sure best way to do it without messing up the car and the best cleanest proper way to do it.We also wondered if all tachs can be outside with getting messed up?IS there a vintage looking tach specially made for this purpose?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. poncho hood tach

3. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, but they're not usually cheap, since they were used on some pretty rare performance cars. But like anything else, if you look long enough you can probably find a deal on one.
    Larry T

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dixc...hash=item120283314448&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

4. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

Thanks guys but i have seen like normal looking tachs mounted there too.Are these only on drag cars that cannot get wet too much or just normal tachs?

5. Tony

Tony

I'd make a small plate that could be slid under the cowl louvers and screw the tach mount to that sandwiching the louver's between the plate and tach mount.
    Make the plate about 1/8" thick so it could be threaded, then just use a couple small screw's to hold it together.
    That's about the only way i know of to mount one up there without drilling holes..
    We did one like that years ago and it worked out good..Sorry, no pics though. We've also done other gauges up there the same way..

As far as the weather and the tach surviving, that i have no clue. We did it to a friends car and i'm not sure if he had issues or not. never asked.

Tony

6. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

Thats a great idea Tony .I guess we would have to be carefull not to overtighten or it will bend the cowl louvers.Yeah that would be my only concern if it would get messed up if it gets wet .

7. oldsman71

oldsman71

we use a standard auto meter tach in our stock cars they dont last as long when you presser wash them! but the one in my car was ok for two years. i think i silcon on the wires. good luck cjc