Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Mountain Moonshine Festival- Dawsonville , Ga

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rex_A_Lott, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If you like 40 Fords, and maybe a few old race cars, this is a good one...this weekend, Oct 24th.
    Anybody here planning on going?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you go be sure to take pics & post here

3. One day I'm gonna get to this.

i.rant likes this.
  4. I use to go on a regular basis back when I had 40 Fords,it's always a good show.

I'm going to Goodguys this year. HRP

3340 likes this.

5. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You live close enough to do both.:D You driving the new car to Charlotte?

6. k9racer

k9racer

Count me in. I have missed 5 in the last 32 years. The down town is nice but for HAMB friendly cars { over 300 for us}come on down to the meseum . Watch a real moon shine whiskey still in action and a good swap meet. Last year parking was only 4 dollars and covered about 20 parking lots. Shuttle buss run and I counted over 100 Ford cars from 1938 to 1940 parked all over the place . Looking forward to this event,, Bobby

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    bobg1951chevy likes this.
  7. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Leaving Thursday morning for an all day drive down there. See y'all Friday!
    Driving my cabriolet if all goes well. IMG_1054.JPG
    Probably will have the top up!;)

3340, Fedman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Be safe, have a big time, Al.

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Would love to take my '40 there, but right now I'm up to my ears in work on BGII (my'31 Hiboy roadster) getting her ready for the Run What Ya Brung Nostalgia Drags, car show and swap meet @ Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA on Nov. 7.
    Every time I think I've only got one more thing to do to be ready, I find something else to fix!

10. The Atlanta 10,000 is this Saturday also .... too many choices ....

11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Please post pics...way too far for me to drive.
    PS none of my "stuff" will make the trip...

12. robracer1

robracer1

Going Saturday, sounds like a fun event.

13. k9racer

k9racer

I have a good friend from Birmingham Alabama who will set up at thunder Road with sign painting / pinstrip panels and will stripe some cars. Its a great time for everyone. Everyone drive safe... Bobby..

dana barlow likes this.
  14. frank spittle

frank spittle

My wife and I will be there Friday and Saturday. After 46 years this is one of the few shows she will go to with me. No, it's not for the moonshine....it's all the vendors lined up on both sides of the road selling trinklets and other stuff she likes.

15. k9racer

k9racer

They are already blowing the train horn at the pool room. a lot of vendors set up today. I am going to find Gordon Jones and find out what famous hot rod woman he skipped jr hi school with or if it is true.

Fire Fox likes this.
  16. k9racer

k9racer

For what its worth.. Just a warning this place has a lot of dear running all over the place. I just was told of a hot rod hitting one.

17. frank spittle

frank spittle

Just returned. Nice weather. Much bigger crowd than two years ago. More vendors selling trinkets and almost everything else. Not much auto stuff though. The only negative is the traffic. There is only one main drag through Dawsonville and as we were leaving around 3 pm this afternoon cars were lined up for several miles trying to get to the show or the colorful Georgia mountains further up. Several overheating on the side of the road. Not much traffic going the other way but it would get bad later as the town empties.

This is really a neat event and I believe has more modified early V-8 Fords than just about any show in the South. Also the most modified '55-'57 Fords too. There were a lot of these types of cars (and some of the actual) running moonshine through Dawsonville back in the day and as long as this show goes on they will never be forgotten. The ACTUAL cars are stars of the show and are becoming sought after by collectors. One of the most interesting was an early Ford cpe (don't remember but believe was a '39) with a Vic Edelbrock built flathead and letters from 1946 from Edelbrock letting him know what had been done to the engine and the parts used and it had been shipped and another follow-up letter months later checking on "how is it doing". This is one of the reasons Edelbrock was so successful.

We are already planning next year's trip.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. stingbean

stingbean

We got there later in the afternoon on Saturday, I probably missed some of the good cars, but had a great time none-the-less. I'd never seen so many black 39-40 Fords in one place before. Downtown was covered in them. It was also great to see a healthy 61 Starliner delegation, maybe someday I'll get my butt in gear and get mine roadworthy enough to attend.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pics, I was using my 8 year-old's flash-less cheapie camera:
    D1.JPG d2.JPG d3.JPG d4.JPG d5.JPG d6.JPG d7.JPG d8.JPG d9.JPG d10.JPG d11.JPG d12.JPG d13.JPG d14.JPG

Dog_Patch and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. JReece

JReece

Anybody else take some more pics?

20. k9racer

k9racer

When the city was laid out the streets were 1st and 2nd and so on. Now they have been renamed for early racers/lawbreakers. like Loyd Seay/Raymond Parks and so on. Maybe the only city that honors law breaker by naming streets after them.{my town has a civic center named after a war criminal} But back to the cars. The mesume had a full house turn out. I am guessing close to a thousand cars. The funny thing I heard was one man say " I spent 30 dollars for this show and no judging and no trophys. "" Next a local told him he would refund his money and give him 30 more if he did not return next year" This is not a exact quote as I cleaned up the large amount of cuss words... Looking forward to 2016.. Bobby..

21. ...................................................That's fuckin' classic.:D

Jeff Norwell and olcurmdgeon like this.
  22. hudson48

hudson48

My friends who live in Dawsonville always donate their time to help out as volunteers for the Moonshine Festival. One day we will get over for this event. Seems like this event also attracts the "rat Rod" set with some very dubuious vehicles. They sent some pictures but only this one is HAMB friendly.
    WP_002692 (Medium).jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Stringbean posted some great photo's but the last one with the kids in the street looked as though the photo could have been taken in the early 40's.

I decided to do a little photo manipulation and make it black & white. HRP

[​IMG]

24. ^^^^Very cool, Danny.^^^^

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. garage2small

garage2small

010.jpg 009.jpg 008.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 012.jpg The Dawsonville Moonshine Festival was fantastic, especially if you a Ford guy. Most 39 and 40 Fords I've ever seen in one place, and at least a dozen 300 series 57 Fords, very cool! Here are a few photos I took.

timwhit, HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. Wow, just wow!

HOTRODPRIMER and i.rant like this.
  27. TLB@HCG

TLB@HCG

Wow, killer car! The SBC seems out of place at the Moonshine Festival, but man, does it look good dressed in late '50s accessories. Would love to see more pictures of this car.

28. frank spittle

frank spittle

This '32 3 window belongs to Dick Bridges from Rock Hill S.C. He has tried to make it 1957 period correct with the Corvette 270 engine, '39 Ford trans and Columbia 2-speed rear end. Dick is a long time Muscle Car collector who has sold his collection and is now focusing on '30s-'40s cars.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  29. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

30. Damn,I've know Dwight for many years and know he knows the moonshines business inside and out but I'm shocked with the charge of drugs. HRP