Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mount your tires at home with a garbage bag! DIY tech!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Aug 30, 2014.

1. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

I use a piece of card board to lay the rim on, I have a gallon coolant bottle with a couple knife holes full of soapy water like the pros use, a 2x4 and a bottle jack. I set the tire/wheel under a stake pocket on my trailer. I put the 2x4 on the edge of the rim and the bottle jack there under the stake pocket and on the 2x4. Start jacking to push the bead off. Might have to spin the rim if the tire has been on there a while.

Another way I want to try on another forum. With a lever you can move the world, right?

[​IMG]

Question, does it work to take the tires off the rims too?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. You make it look easy. HRP

3. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Cool, I will be trying this.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have hand-mounted a few tires in my time, never with a garbage bag. Usually takes me about 1/2 an hour, a couple of spoons, some skinned knuckles, and enough swearing to scare the hell outta any dog within earshot. I GOTTA get me some garbage bags!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. I take the foot off a bumper jack, lay the tire down under something heavy, (big truck) and jack the tire down until the bead lets go. If you use good rubber lube, that plastic bag becomes less needed. I use Ru-Glide from NAPA. The big problem is trying to get a tubeless tire to "pop" after it has been stored on its side in a stack. I don't own a tire expander.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I had a 27 ply aircraft tire stuck on a big ag rim once. Local tire shop gave up on it so I bounced up and down on it with the forks of a loader on a tractor... no dice. Tried used oil around the edge...didn't help. Got a guy with a D7 CAT and it took him a half an hour to break the bead. Some tires are worse than others. Worst car tires I've seen were run flat with nothing left. Much harder to get off when all that's left is the beads.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  7. 69fury

69fury

Did two last night on my kitchen floor. No garbage bag. Just three to one ratio of water to Dawn detergent for lube. Dawn's the best because it acts as a lube but dries as a sealant. I coat the insides of MT dot slicks with them if I get a set that bleed down and I'm not using tubes. I've only had to use one tube ever-rick

8. txturbo

txturbo

Ive never really had a problem getting the tires on the rim either. Soapy water works equally well without the trash bag and Ive never scratched a metal wheel with a rubber tire

9. alchemy

alchemy

Does the soapy water make the baby powder into glue, so your tube actually sticks to the tire now? And there's no air in there to dry it out, so it will continually corrode the wheel, right?

10. Look up "redneck tire mounting" on Youtube, using ether (starting spray) Iv'e done this a few times with tubeless tyres.
    The garbage bag idea is great, thanks for posting!!

11. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Yep, a bit of starting fluid works good, I've also used a little bit of old gas. Don't use to much, I heard about a semi truck tire that they say failed due to being mounted with this method. It didn't happen when being mounted, but failed miles down the road.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. That's what I was thinking... hahaha...!!!

Sawsall...

13. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Outstanding tip, thanks.

14. Wait, you have to have a friend ???

15. TexasT

TexasT
    from Texas

[​IMG]

I use one of these and if it is stubborn coat the bead with grease. Just be ready to release the strap when the bean seats or it will release itself in dramatic fashion.

16. Garden spade and a lever under the tow bar of the disposable daily has always worked as a bead breaker for me… and second on the rachet strap for popping the beads on a tubeless tyre.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Dawn dishwashing soap is one of the necessities in a shop. It's a great lubricant and will clean the grease and oil off of anything including your body and hair and doesn't bother if it gets in your eyes. I was getting a hydraulic hose made and they were trying to assemble some 6" diameter hoses onto barbed cam lock fittings. They were heating the hoses to make them more flexible and using some other soap solution but still working pretty hard to get them on. I told them to get some Dawn. The next time I was there they told me they tried it and the hoses slid right on. I don't know what makes it slipperier than other soaps but it seems to be.

18. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great Tip, Thanks Sam.

19. Cool. I will have to try that next time I peel the tires off my bike.

I have been doing bike and car tires for years and this is going to revolutionize my process. :cool:

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Why did we not get to see if it was easy, or hard to pull the garbage bag out after the tire was mounted ? Removing the bag would have taken another few seconds of video.
    I'd also like to see this done with a less flexible tire.

21. parklane

parklane

Man, I'm impressed, and I don't impress that easy!!

22. Thin teflon strip under your spoons will save your paint/aluminum/chrome.

23. ..I had to try this method to see if it works; I mounted a tire in less than 5 minutes;
    I do think it depends on how wide the wheel or tire is to some extent.
    thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  24. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Bubbal995 Here is how a bunch of Hot Rodding farmers break down tires from farm tractor tires to car tires. 1. take valve core out completely. 2.go get your hy-jak every farm boy has one. 3 position tire under draw bar of tractor 4.put pressure on bead of tire an jack. 5Bead will seperate, move tire 1-2 turn and jack until tire is broke down 6 turn tire over and repeat steps 1-6 Good luck! farmer is smart Don in Indiana

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Now that's a crazy clever recipe for success. I'll have to add their "ingredients" to my tool kit. Gary

26. walker

walker

Well, I can attest to the fact that this does not work on 30/9.5/15 mud terrain tires. It may work fine on lighter sidewall car tires, but not heavier truck tires.

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

Wild! Thanks for posting.

28. I have a old Coats Iron tireman with the Pneumatic bead breaker & another earlier manual version that had a mechanical fulcrum that beaks the bead. And I have a Bishman machine that is great for installing the tire on the rim. We used to spray a little starting fluid inside the tire and light it while putting air in at the same time. The explosion would seat the beads. They make a heavy soap that's very stiff that you can pack around the gap and air up a tubeless tire. I made a tire bomb. its a 5 gallon Freon can. ive welded a fitting to accept a 1 inch pipe then a large guillitone valve and a foot length of pipe flattened on the end. Simply fill it with 100 PSI place the flattened end in the gap between the tire and rim and quickly open the valve. Go to almost any truck shop that changes semi tires and you can see one.

29. Thanks, Rusty1.............took 54 posts before somebody [except Sam,,,thanks for the video, BTW] tried the "trick". I have a little wheel prep to do before I give it a go installing radials on a set of 4 , 55 Chrysler wires. I'll post on this thread after doing it.