Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Galet, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

I was thinking about buying a '67 Olds 425 complete motor, but I am not sure if they were any good. It is complete and the cylinders have been oiled and it has been turned over yearly. Is anyone running one in there car? Are they good motors? Are they worth anything? I'd like to get a little info before I buy it, and this place sure has a ton of pros. Thanks, Bob.

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

you're looking at a 385hp, 500 ft/lb tq, forged crank monster of an engine...value is anywhere from $200-$600 depending on the condition for a stocker.

what olds model did it come out of...what heads, etc?

3. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

Not sure of what it came out of or what heads, but i'm getting it for $100. It's a 2 barrel, but that will change. The air cleaner said "high compression". Does that mean 10.25:1?

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

10.5 advertised for that one. that crank in there is worth double what you're paying for it at the MINIMUM...the crank by itself usually goes for $250-$400. toss one in a 455 block, and you have a high revving, indestructible torquey motherfucker. you want more info on these things, head over to www.realoldspower.com to see what the potential of that thing is. most guys, including me would give their left nut for a $100 425. if i still lived in the 'burgh, i'd be all over that if you decided not to do it!

5. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

btw...i hate you.

i just payed $700 for a complete running 455. lol

6. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

HA HA! The worst part for you guys is I'm only 17! My boss sent me to a place I'd been to a few times before to pick up a part. While I was there I just happened to ask the kid that worked there if they had any spare engines (for some reason I always ask this) and he said he had a couple of olds motors laying around. Wow, I must be lucky! Plus he's giving me another 425 which is only missing the heads and carb (not sure of the year on that one). It must have been my lucky day! Anyone have any pics of these in a rod?

7. INJUNTOM

INJUNTOM

olds engines are cool, and have always been popular to transplant into things.

my dad owned 2 different 442s when i was a kid, and the first one got totalled in front of our house....my dad dropped the 400 into our '49 Dodge pu :D

8. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

well that makes a little more sense as to why you didn't know about olds engines much. most anybody must older than you who's into cars knows that olds are torque monsters and tough as nails. get that bitch and run with it man!

9. RacerRick

RacerRick

2brl 425's are 300-310hp, and 450 ft-lbs of torque.

Good engines.

10. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

A good mechanic buddy told me that Olds smallblocks had trouble getting oil to the rockers if not changed frequently. He also said that the smallblocks only had 10 head bolts per head, making it easier to blow head gaskets. Does this apply to Olds big blocks like mine? Also, is there any 6x2 manifold for this motor? What kind of performance options do I have?

11. squirrel

squirrel

the Olds engines are mostly all the same from the mid 60s and newer. The "small block" and "big block" terms dont' really apply, they have tall and short deck engines, but the design is the same for both.

yeah, they have crappy rockers with aluminum pivots, and only 10 bolts per head, Chevys are better in those areas, but these are relatively minor problems.

12. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

What do you mean you aren't sure if they are any good! Olds never built a bad engine to my knowledge, especially once they started building V-8's. Can't go wrong with almost any Olds V-8 ever made.

13. squirrel

squirrel

we'll just pretend they never tried to make a diesel :)

14. jetmek

jetmek

thats a great wise crack!...i built a 425 from a delta 88 for my 75 cutlass bigvalve heads, reed cam and stock intake, tweaked q-jet and an hei. the 10.5 compression caused quit a bit of ping on pump gas and it never did twist much past 4500. LOTS of low rpm torque tho...must be why they make good boat motors. i think theres a company called MONDELLO that has lots of olds performance stuff

15. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

Got the motors home today. Look pretty good. The complete one is a '64 from a delta 88, and the other is a '67 (not sure what from). They both turn over and look pretty good.

16. Bob Galet

Bob Galet

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

ahhh hahhahahahahahaha! I'd almost forgotten about those!!