Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor paint question and suggestions???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29 sedanman, Jan 6, 2006.

1. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I have decided on all the colors for everything for my car with the exception of the motor. The frame will be gloss black. The body will be red oxide with an off white firewall. The wheels will be powdercaoted gloos black, and the exhaust will be VHT satin black. I had thought about black but I think it would be too much balck. I also thought about Chevy orange. Other colors I have thought of include, Red. off white, red oxide, cast steel, silverytoned cast ......

Another thing, if I paint the inside of the fins on my mooneyes valve covers and dont like it, how hard is it to remove the paint from the rough cast area between the fins?

Also, I am trying to decide if I should paint the hood or leave it aluminum.

Let me know what you guys think about these things.

Tracy

2. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I meant to post some pictures of my car and motor with that thread and forgot to before I clicked post. Here they are, lets hear what you think. I am pretty good at knowing how I want something but this motor color has me stumped.

Attached Files:

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

My opinion is that if you want the engine to stand out, because it's so different, or built to impress (horsepower-wise), or just superbly detailed, do it a bright color. The focal point of the car will be the engine. You want people's eyes to be drawn to it. Bright red, orange (not Chevy spray bomb, but custom), yellow, or any other eye catching color will do.
    If you don't particularly care if anyone compliments you on the engine, do it subtle. Let the rest of the car speak for itself, whether it's the wheels, paint, body mods, or whatever.
    In any case, I always try to coordinate the color to go with the car. In your case, if you don't want it to draw attention, do it in a shade of gray...keep it looking "mechanical" or raw. I like Eastwood's spray gray, and detail gray colors, though they are not suitable paints for engines. Pewter greys, charcoal metallics are good for subtleness.
    Or just go with a color scheme. Match the engine to the interior color, or the main color of your pinstriping scheme, so it fits in. Or the color of your wheels, if they are painted. Though in your case, I agree...too much black!
    If you are into traditional, your choices are very limited, Chevy orange, or bright red would be the 'most' correct for a Chevy engine. But there are exceptions to that rule, as well, and I wouldn't want to argue 'tradition' here!

4. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

JMO, not telling you what to do, but in reading your question, the thought I had was to paint the engine and wheels the same bright color, like red, or a slime green, or.......you get the idea.

5. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

you have a very nice looking motor pic a color to make it pop more,but match it to the wheels.(look at the whole picture not only the motor)
    complete the package.

alex

6. Rat L. Can

Rat L. Can
    from Indy

Tracy,

Just my .02 cents but I didn't paint or plate my pipes - I just hit them with a bit of WD-40 after every drive. Turns them a beautiful golden-brown and you don't have to worry about peeling, flaking, etc.

Mike

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

If you go with a red on the motor, you could do a red stripe in the wheels like a '46 Ford. I think there is a pic of one that someone posted in Flathead Youngin's A roadster rumble seat thread. Search rumble seat and you'll find it.

How about ceramic coating the pipes?

8. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I like the idea of the wheels and motor matching but I also like the Black wheels and red oxide color combo also.

How about the hood and the valve cover questions. Would you paint the hood, and is it hard to remove paint from the cast areas between the fins on Valve covers?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, Keep em coming.

Ratlcan, good to hear from you haven't heard from you in a while.

9. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Car looks like a piece of sh"t to me!!! I think I would unload it on somebody and start all over!!!:D Really it's a good looking sedan. If the frame and wheels are going to be black and the body red oxide then maybe a light or medium grey would look good like was mentioned earlier. A Chevrolet bright red would brighten it up and also look good with the red oxide and black. Leave the hood top bare and see how you like it that way for a while. You can always paint it later. Lacquer thinner or reducer will take the paint out of the finn valleys pretty good.

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Andy,
    thanks for the comments, I think I know your (stray cat 32 Tudor) car but I am not sure if I have ever met you or not. I am on the west side close to IRP how bout you.

I think I am leaning towards a nice shade of red. It will be the only bright shiny color on the car and I think it will be just enough. Thanks for everyones comments.
    Tracy

11. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Hey Tracy. Yeah we live on the westside by the airport. The 'ol sedan has been everywhere for the last five years or so. About to wear it out!!

When I see your car this summer I'll try to look you up.
    A bright red would look good on the motor and draw attention to it for sure.

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Last night I painted the tranny to see if I liked this color. It is similar to Dodgerooders engine and tranny color maybe just a little lighter. The car will be a dark red oxide, the wheels are balck, The frame is gloss black, the exhaust is satin balck and the motor was going to be red but I thought just plain bright red may be too boring and bright but now I am thinking I may have been better off to stay with regular red. Let me know what you think of these color combos. I may go home and sand this off and go back to the regular red. I didn't take a picture of it last night but I looked at dodgerodders pictures this morning because I love the color with the black frame so much and borrowed one of his pictures to give you an idea of the color I have on there right now. I know it will look great in the frame against the off white firewall I am just worried about the red oxide.

Attached Files:

13. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Thats a pretty cool color. I like it better than a regular red. I think I would leave it that color. There are a lot of red engines out there..this way you'll be different and I think it will go with the red oxide body alright. I know it will look good with the black frame amd white firewall. You may have just nailed the right combo!!!:D Any other opinions???

14. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

yeah, I like the color I am just worried about the red oxide. Maybe I will have them tint it pretty dark and it will look better with it. Thanks for the good words Andy,.....................

Any body else like or not like the idea. Be truthful I have thick skin.

15. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I was always partial to that color:D.

I think it'll match up fine with red oxide. If for any reason you didn't like the match, you could do the body in the same color as the motor, but flattened if you want that look.

Post up some pics of your motor painted when you can too, like to see it.

Car looks great btw, looks like its getting close to drive time!

16. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I will think about it for a while before I paint the motor. It is easier to strip the tranny if I dont like it than it is the motor.