Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MOTOR, Need help/advice,directions for porting 351W heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by av8, Jun 21, 2003.

1. av8

av8

Mike -- Looks like I made a good choice with the compromise runner match -- maybe even better than I imagined!

The Edelbrock Performer manifold wouldn't have been my choice; it's what I was given to work with. The casting quality is poor with very rough external finish and just-okay finish inside the runners. The runner outlets are unevenly shaped and sized and nowhere close to the inlets in the heads. I scarcely opened up the intakes, but had to do some significant material removal to get the manifold runners to mimic the shape of the runners in the heads, although not matching them for sizw.That the Edelbrock Performer for the 351W is no better than the stock manifold wouldn't surprise as much as hearing that it's as good as the stocker.

I've had good results with Weiand manifolds on Chevys, and commend their casting quality. The very best I've seen, including Chevy's own Bowtie castings, are Holleys. My personal favorite for the SBC is the Holley Z28 -- high-rise, dual-plane, square-bore, and quality that looks as though it's diecast. Best of all it works as good as it looks, with good bottom end, excellent mid range, and it keeps working strong into the 7K range.

Holleys haven't sold as well as the more-popular aftermarket manifolds, owing as much to Holley's higher prices and low interest by the hobbyist magazines -- where the other aftermarket guys are spending big bucks.

Once again, Mike, thank you so much for your guidance. I feel like I've been hanging out with a good pal who's willingly shared his experience and and knowledge with a fellow hot rodder. Good on ya, pal.

Mike

2. Pigiron

Pigiron

Mike, Thanks for the kind words. If you ever come to Montana you are more than welcome to stop in and see my humble shop. I like your style and grace. I don't post much on the HAMB but I do like to help out when I feel I can. I think its neat when a dumb 'ol Montana boy can help you California Kats out! [​IMG] We do have alot of carnuts in cowboyland and some pretty serious machinery in the land of cow poop and gravel roam the highways and dragstrips. I love your book and thank you for your friendship.

3. tapkoote

tapkoote

I know this is an old thread, am interested in cleaning up my 351 heads. The link to ford muscle doesn't work. And the pictures didn't come up.
    Any other links?
    thanks

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

If you just want to port match the heads to the intake, take your gasket and line up the bolt holes. Then just scribe around the inside of each port of the gasket on the head , then the intake. Once it's scribed, take a die grinder and open the ports up to the scribe lines. Other than that, use your die grinder to blend in any cast lines. Eastwood has a video about it.

5. tapkoote

tapkoote

Thanks, just want to clean them up.
    There is a hump in the exhaust port, anyone know how much of that i can remove.