Register now to get rid of these ads!

most important tool in your shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdunn10, Jan 18, 2012.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't know about the most important but the most used is a set of gearwrenchs

2. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

My eyes, hands, God given skills and a pocket screw driver, ...and as the kids grow up and move out, I'll get more of that other cool stuff!

3. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I've been reading this thread for a while and it just came to me way my most important tool is. My Atlas lathe. Heck I can build tools with it. First my brain came to mind but it doesnt work all the time.

4. handyandy289

handyandy289
    from Georgia

TIME use it well!!!!!!!

5. chop32

chop32

Its an evolution thing for me...when I was 16 I would have said tin snips and a file, and then a pop rivet gun. Later it evolved to an angle grinder and soon, a compressor. Then came the oxy/acetalyne rig, then the mig welder. Just when I thought it couldnt get any better, along came a plasma cutter. A small lathe would be nice, maybe a Tig, or a lift...
    Sitting here writing this, I just realized that that each and every one of my tools is the most important in its given area. I couldnt accomplish all of what I do without them.

6. I have almost everything I need to do anything I want but the most important thing is my memory, as to where I put everything, spend too much time looking for shit........

7. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

175psi 2 stage air compressor

8. chop32

chop32

Same thing here, Im either looking for something I just had or trying to remember where I left off the last time I was in the garage. I have a sinking feeling that its not going to get any better!

9. My radio/tape/CD player!

It keeps me mellow and sane during those trying moments.

Seriously... It gets my head back on track. A good tune will play, that gets my mind off of being pissed off or not knowing what to do with a problem or how to do something and with a clearer head I can figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  10. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I vote for torch set.......you can take stuff apart, cut it off and if you really learn how to use it, weld it back together. Then Id take the air compressor. Vice next.

11. carlitos way

carlitos way
    BANNED

my two post lift(saves my back)oldies (saves my mind)cooler(keeps my beer cold)

12. My hamer can be fix and destroy everything

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

14. I use this every day I am out in the shop, probably the most versatile tool I own outside of standard hand tools.

[​IMG]

15. guys thanks for all of your input. I have been trying to get things going in my shop and I really appreciate it

16. sir

sir

...nuff said...

Attached Files:

17. I have both, sometimes they just aren't connected - as evidenced by my "scrap" pile.

18. styleline

styleline
    from so-hol

well thats the beer opener

19. flathead okie

flathead okie

Haven't read every post but have read 5 pages and haven't seen the mention of ear plugs.
    With all the grinding and hitting every one is going to go deaf.
    I have a constant ringing in both ears now for the past 5-6 yrs. Now when I go into the shop I put in ear plugs. try to save the hearing I've got left.
    Other than that, safety glasses, gloves.

20. "Major" Tools?

1. Compressor
    2. Welder

21. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Say hallow to my leetle friend, lil' forker- and there's an itty-bitty 4-cyl Continental in that '47 Clark Trukloader, lifts 1,000 lbs 7 ft. Best thing is I can push it around by hand, don't even have to start it to move it- if fact I lifted that toploader in it's crate under power and pushed it to the truck- easier than climbing on the little beast (I think it's a female forker)
    Note the WD40 can for size perspective

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. That lil' forklift is awesome!

Don't think most would have much use for one, but sure would make moving things like engine blocks pretty easy.

23. gmc1941

gmc1941

Your own checking account sponsored by your loving wife and of course your own credit card. After that you can have the best shop tools. Maybe......

24. 60 ford

60 ford

I couldn't do without my air compresser, mig welder or grinder.

25. The big ass lock on the door.

26. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

It actually picked up a complete Zephyr V12 with the OD trans and all and set it up on the second shelf of my pallet rack- it doesn't even work with a complete FE & C6- and it's about 4' long without the forks, and will fit through a 36" door. Also very handy for setting things up on the Bridgeport, like the big rotary table- that sucker is heh-v :eek: Wanna put a steel 427 crank in the big lathe to polish it? Ever try that by hand? :(

27. papajohn

papajohn

Cigar cutter, lighter and bottle opener.
    or
    Bench vise, angle grinder and heavy duty floor jack.

Depends on my ambition level that night.

28. bobblehead

bobblehead

29. afaulk

afaulk

Lincoln square wave tig welder and a good belt grinder 2x72 and a good buffer

30. sunbeam

sunbeam

I don't about most important but a Neiko 40611a cordless circut tester is one of the handiest no ground wire.