Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Expensive Ride You Got to Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 61TBird

61TBird

2. I drove the Corvette Manta Ray (GM showcar) which was the rebodied Mako Shark II. Worth, what? Who knows...? :eek:

What do I win? :D

3. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

What I thought would be fun, seems to upset some readers so here is the answer to the car I got to drive when I was 16-17 years old.

Same car Elvis bought when he was in Germany.....

A BMW 507.......

You can research that on the internet to learn more for those that are interested. Aluminum body I believe it had 4 down draft style carbs on it....great styling even by todays standards.

A well recognized car and in BMW circles wold be the Holy Grail among collectors.....

[email protected]

4. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

totally restored 62 jag v10 this guy couldnt get around the block without grinding all the gears so i got to drive it home,,,,about 6 miles and 3 launches it was a great little trip,,,easy to see why they were so much fun back then,,,, about twisted the poor thing in half,,, he was all smiles the whole way,,,

5. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I drove my friends sl65 AMG Mercedes. With the Renntech software and a few other upgrades it makes about 700hp. Absolutely insane car. Well over 100 grand in it. I took it up to about 100 mph and got out of it because I couldn't stand the idea of damaging it. It was expensive and fast but it was an automatic. In a way it was actually kind of boring. Haha

6. sawzall

sawzall

i get to drive this once in awhile.. :)

[​IMG]

sometimes in the snow..

7. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

917K, well I got to start it and push it about.

8. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

New Bentley:
    a customer asked if I have ever driven one. I said no and I had never even been in one. So we went out to her car she gave me the key (I didn't even have to put in the ignition). I pushed a button and started the motor. I couldn't even hear the motor running inside the car. I really didn't like driving the car way, too much money involved.

9. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

Not worth that much, but an historic vehicle:
    I was a valet parker while in college about 1964, and in drove a Sunbeam Alpine series 1, with the sharp tailfins.
    Out hopped a couple of gents with strong British accents, the driver being Ken Miles.

When I started it, there was a V8 rumble, and shifting into gear I noticed a Ford 4-speed. Instead of parking it, I went out the back exit and took a hot lap around the block, coming back with a big guilty smile.

I thought it was just a furrin' hotrod, but months later the Tiger was announced. The one I drove was not the Ken Miles prototype with A/T, it was the original, first car, and worth a lot of money now to the right guy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  10. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I worked for a sports car shop in Ventura in the early 70's.We did high end cars like Rolls and Bentleys,too.A guy brought in a McLaren Can-Am car, I'm thinking it was an M series--wide,closed cockpit type.He bought it in England,and got it licenced in someplace like Arkansas or something. He wanted us to clean up the suspension--new shocks,etc. Had to do some headlight work too--lights way to bright !The owner and I got to drive this thing--BB Chevy--5 speed. This is the only car to ever scare me--I drove it something like 3 miles---REAL noisy,Real hot. The owner "pushed" it some--like 135 in 3rd gear,no problem.Never did see the car again--wondered what happened to it.
    Got to ride in a 917 Porsche---same guy's friend "found" it and tried to make it street-legal--don't think it ever happened.

11. 1963nova

1963nova
    BANNED
    from ohio

back in early 2000 I owned a Oil change place in Missouri and we did brakes , and trans flushes and other small mechanical things but we also di state inspections and I had a customer call and ask if we accepted credit cards ((( at the time we did not ))) and I told him no and he asked what an oil change price was if the customer had his own oil and filter so I told him and he set an appointment for 1:00 pm and to my suprise he pulled up with a Tucker , never seen one in real life but I knew what it was , I asked him to pull the car over the pit and he simply said HELL NO you do it , so I pulled it from the front of the shop to the rear of the shop and over the pit , changed the oil and greased the car then he starts telling me about a squeak he has and I figured it was the shocks or supension so I greased the heck out of it then he asked to to take it around the block to see if I heard it so I drove the car down the road and back I never smiled so hard in my life just knowing I just drove a very rare car people have asked me since was it a comfortabe ride? hell I have no clue as I was too excited just driving it to notice . all in all trip was less then a mile but WOW what a true treat,

12. Theo:HotRodGod

Theo:HotRodGod

I have been behind the wheel of several Dodge Vipers and the Srt.10 Ram. all of the Srt8. Chrysler Dodge line and all good fun. I had a Viper sideways across two lanes on the free way it was bad ass! I drove a Lotis once and I felt like I was going to break that thing, it's too small! Oops. gotta-go to work catch ya latter.

13. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

One of the very few lucky ones since only like 48-50 were ever built let alone on the road being driven in the year 2000.

[email protected]

Great stories...

14. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

I reckon a BMW collector would rather have the below instead of a 507:
    one of the ten 1938-9 type 328 chassis rebodied to run distance races.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  15. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Finally told us, thanksss..

16. Just recently got to drive a Ferrari 599 GTB. Drove it about 8 miles back to the paint shop.
    If I ever get my truck on the road it'll be priceless!

17. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I agree....heck I'd make room in my garage for both.....

As a 16-17 year old I never really appreciated back then just how rare the 507 was. Never did see another one when I drove it though!

[email protected]

18. shagg'n

shagg'n

Recently drove vanquish,intersting car,great sound.I still prefer the sound of my wagon wide open,but we don't see many Astons' around here

19. HD74

HD74

Porsche Spyder
    Mustang Mach I
    Porsche 356A speedster
    1967 Corvette 427 4spd. Convt.
    Lambo LM002 and Diablo
    Porsche 993 Turbo S this one had a speed of 2.6 sec. 0-60
    These are all big bucks today, wish I had just one.

20. 666Irish

666Irish

When I lived in Boston, I got to drive a Bugatti Type 35. Right on Commonwealth Ave.
    The owner was a friend of the shop and had a rather nice collection of Bugatti, and Lotus'.

21. Back in my autoglass days, I use to do a lot of high end cars. Most of those cars were required as "in shop" service only. That gave me a lot of opportunities to pick up and deliver service (at no extra charge, lol).
    The most fun I had was a very expensive Porsche 911. It was a surgeon's car that I picked up at a hospital (the side window was broken out). I found it funny that the surgeon just threw the keys to me and walked away say nothing. I had the opportunity to take the long way back to the shop.
    Taking a curvy off ramp posted 30 at 80 mph, priceless.

22. Terry1

Terry1

Back around 1980 my brothers' boss needed someone too drive his brand new Trans Am. At the time I was driving a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere. I went from a no p/b, p/s, bench seat to a rocket. Well, it was to me anyway.

23. 63Compact

63Compact

When I worked for GM I did some work on the Efijy and when I finished they let me drive it around on the skid pan. The whole time the guy who designed it was sitting beside me shitting himself that I'd let it loose. I also got to drive the first Holden off the production line, no one in the design studio could figure out 3 on the tree. It was insured for a million bucks.

24. Paul Y

Paul Y

Worked as an apprentice for a Ford dealership owned by the family of the guy who has been my best pal for the past 30 years.

Always had interesting cars but 2 that probably fit into this category:-

Ford GT70, built for Roger Clark (supposedly) as Fords answer to the all conquering Lancia Stratos of the early 70's. Drove it from one workshop to the other, think it was finally shown at the 2002 Festival of Speed.

2nd was a Metro 6R4. Same dealership bought 6 from the factory when the rules changed for rallying. Converted them to road going cars, fastest thing I have ever driven from 0-100, used all 4 gears to get there but probably took less than 6 seconds. Rev to 6K drop clutch change gear, change gear, change gear, change gear hit rev limiter and that was that.

Did drive the 1970 Porsche 908/3 Targa Florio car about 6 feet but stalled it and never got the opportunity again but wouldn't say that counts!

P.

25. Back in '67 and '68, when I traveled with a car show promoter, I got to drive the black car a lot. Even got arrested in it. :)

I drove the red car a few times as well.

Attached Files:

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A buddy let me have the wheel of his Porsche Cayenne Turbo S for a few miles on the interstate - an insanely fast SUV. Brakes like an arrested landing, too. I got it to 120 and it was still getting wound up. Damm Germans. Gary

Update: Forgot about a liberty call I had in Sydney one year. One of the gents I was visiting was a railroad engineer for the Aussie National Railway. He took us to the yards in the evening and I got to drive a diesel loco around. Nifty, but slow. No steering wheel, either.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  27. Ebert

Ebert

You are (in my book) OFFICIALLY the biggest DOUCHE on the HAMB. GO AWAY!

28. One of my clients let me drive his new Bentley Continental GT last year. Went to stripe his new Hyundai Genesis. He has a shop full of rods and exotics and he wants me stripe a Hyundai, go figure.

After I striped the car, he could tell I was a bit down in the dumps mentally, so he tossed me the keys to his Bentley and said let's ride. I'm driving this thing like an old lady careful not to hurt it, he says, "hey Mikey, what's the problem? Stomp on this thing, it was meant to go fast!" So I did.
    Man that car has the power. As I u-turned to go back home he told me to stop and boil the tires, so I did! There I was smokin' 'em in a $200,000 ride. Has 500+ HP with twin turbos and it looks pretty cool. But I told him since it was black we need to do some flames and drop it a bit. It made my day and lifted me up.

But my ol buddy in Carrolton who has owned more hot rods than any man on earth let me drive any car I wanted, as long as I striped 'em.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    Living a Strange Existence
    coming soon...
    "VROOM! The Car Guy's Guide to Success in Business & Life"

29. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

I would have to say the most expensive would have been my Hummer H1. I was the 3rd owner and the sticker was something like $103K. My daily driver is a C6 corvette.

Having ridden in more expensive cars, some of them were... a Porsche GT3 cup car (factory race car), Some real high end pro street cars and more on topic my dad's 63 1/2 ford 427,.

30. 50Fraud

50Fraud

My dad bought a 300SL gullwing in '56, and I got to drive that car many times.

Buddies of my dad owned an Aston Martin DB4 and a 300SL roadster, both of which I drove.

I drove a Ferrari 330 GTS Spyder that belonged to a friend, and a Ferrari 250 Farina Coupe that I was interested in buying. Didn't, though. Drove a Bugatti (type 44, I think) that a friend was working on.

Among cars that I've owned, the ones that would currently be most valuable were a '65 Pontiac GTO, a '36 Ford 3W, and a '63 Lotus Super 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.