Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Most Beautiful Flathead Manifold - Eddie Meyer it is!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Nov 11, 2016.

?
  1. Eddie Meyer

41.9%
  2. Edelbrock

10.3%
  3. Navarro

8.1%
  4. Offenhauser

3.7%
  5. Sharp

3.7%
  6. Weiand

2.9%
  7. Evans

2.2%
  8. Edmunds

7.4%
  9. Thickstun

13.2%
  10. Cyclone

0.7%
  11. Other . . .

5.9%
  1. someones Photoshop, too many bolts and intake runners, maybe on a Lincoln V12

Jeff34 and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. dwollam

dwollam

Wow! That's some sweet stuff being reproduced! Spendy but oh so cool! I like the OP's Eddie Meyer probably the best but I have a soft spot for the tall Thickstons as I ran one of those for years as a kid on a '39 Coupe. Had the original Thickstun air cleaner too. Paid $8 for the air cleaner in 1972.

Dave

3. Hankster32

Hankster32

Yes I have one like that and a 3 carb Sharp but don't have any doubles. You see I had 280 manifolds but I sold 80 doubles to young guys that want to keep the history going of early hot rods ( most for less than I payed for them to help the young guys.) Several H.A.M.B. members responding to this thread have better and bigger collections than me ask them.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  4. Get your votes in Gang . . . one day to go!

5. Thanks for all the votes and the cool pictures of other really cool manifolds. Truth be told, I would love to have dang near every one posted on here.

Happy Holidays HAMBers . . .

6. You know how I voted!:rolleyes:
    ROADSTER 013.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Wonder if they ever made a Meyer intake for a Plymouth six?

If not I will have to save my pennies for a tattersfield.

8. Bud Crane

Bud Crane

IMG_1075.JPG IMG_1074.JPG I think that Eddie Meyer intakes are among the best ever made. I also like the looks of the Alexander. I have examples of each in my stash. I've used them. But when I mash the throttle, the Edelbrock Slingshot looks the best.
    The Eddie Meyer and the Alexander are not particularly good designs, functionality.
    My vote goes to the Edelbrock Slingshot.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Did anyone mention the Fenton for three deuces?

10. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

its interesting to me that in a manifold test done by one of the magazines several years back the slingshot tested very well. One of the best 2x2 barrel intakes. it tested better than any single 4 barrel by a fair amount. The magazine tried to claim that the reason was the central location of the 4 barrel made it harder for the mixture to get to the cylinders. i'm having a hard time seeing how the slingshot is much different than the single 4 barrel in that regard besides runner length.

11. Given how well my Eddie Meyer runs on the 284 cube motor in my 32, I think it is related to the high-rise runner length (like the Slingshot and the Thickston). My guess is that since these engines tend to be torque monsters (not high-rpm), I think there is an increased velocity/ram effect of the intake charge coming down the risers - maybe this helps the charge reach the outer cylinders more effectively? My particular manifold is extensively ported - to match the extensively ported block. One great benefit of the removable tops is that you can get in all the places you want/need to port - unlike a Thickston or Tattersfield high-rise.

My combination 'in theory' should have been a dog on the street --> huge roller cam, 1.72" intake valves, aluminum flywheel, 25T Zephyr gears, etc -- but it isn't. My hunch is that the long runner high-rise manifold is really helping me on the low-end of the RPM range.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

your cam was a custom grind if I remember?? possibly more to it than just lift. also, only having two carbs instead of the three or more that really would have been run on a motor that wild helps to tame it on the street. I agree with the possibility of port length having a possible effect.
    what ratio do you have out back??

I'm sure you have read the article on the manifold dyno runs?? they didn't do an eddie meyer but the slingshot pulled a lot of power and the most torque of the 2x2's they tested. the H&H test motor was a 1/8 bore by 4 1/8 stroker with 1.5 valves and the cam was 280 degrees advertised duration, 0.380-inch lift, and a 111-degree lobe-separation angle, H&H’s custom solid cam was plugged in straight-up. It came up just shy of cracking 200hp with 3x2's... that's a serious flathead. the slingshot was 177hp and 244ft/lbs of torque

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1301-flathead-ford-intake-manifold-smackdown/

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Nowhere near as pretty as the meyer stuff,
    but i used to buy edmunds super dual intakes and heads, then ordered alum block letters from a local stove shop, a couple slight drill dimples and some J B Quik and i could name my own speed equipment... painting helped fill the letter to alum gaps, then filed the top sufaces to alum......
    did a STREET KING manifold [volume #12 of MAG-NETO], and a pair of COLUMBIA, NAVADA V8 and SMITTY'S heads...
    ... no limits....

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That's really funny! I'm sure you just threw a few collectors into a tailspin! They're running out to their garages checking to see if any of their stuff is just modified junk at this point!!!

15. IMG_0807.JPG Flathead V8 471 Blower intake i made awhile ago.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  16. Nice looking manifold, but I must say . . . having 'MUNRO' on it did make me chuckle. You guys from OZ don't normally wave any flags for the KIWIs! Especially when the All Blacks come to town . . . LOL

hotcoupe likes this.
  17. Hi Bored & Stroked. I loved your comments about Kiwi's and Aussie,s and yes the All Blacks are the BEST. I am waving the Flag as i am a " Kiwi " been living here in OZ since 1988.

18. Dale ... your awesome .. great reply
    Cheers
    Tony

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

IMG_8913.PNG
    Here's my vote of course. ;).

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  20. the37thstreet

the37thstreet

Hands down the pre war water heated Eddie Meyer has it. 20161221_145753.jpg 20161221_145725.jpg

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^That is simply wild! Water heated? That is new to me, explain please.

paintslinger805 likes this.
  22. Is just the bottom plane water heated?? That one bitchin motor. I would have to say both the high rise E.M. Intakes are the best looking along with the edelbrock slingshot. Dales with the way it's polished has to be a winner.

23. V860too

V860too

Not a V12 they only have 4 Intake ports per side.