Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Most Beautiful Drive in America, what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 26, 2009.

1. How about this one. Out of Bellingham Washington down Chuckanuk (sp?) drive to LaConner, on over Deception Pass, turn around back over Deception Pass, (You have to see both sides of the Pass) on to Anecortes, get on the ferry to Friday Harbor, back to Anecortes, and end the day with twilight in Washington Park in Anecortes.
    Those that have been there are smiling as they read this.........Mike

2. 56 Texas

56 Texas
    from Texas

done the PCH from Seattle to San Fran .. doesn't get much better!

and Mike .. yes that Deception Pass in N Washington state is something else!! That whole San Juan Island area is beautiful !

many years ago took my '55 down the Million Dollar Highway between Durango and Ouray Colorado and that has to rate near the top for me also!

[​IMG]

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Get on any road at night. Drive until you see a dark spot in the field of lights. Turn there. Keep going until you don't see any lights. Stop, get out, and lay on the hood and look at the stars. When done, ready to, Set the gps and go home. Next time you have the time, return to see what it's like in the daytime.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's beautiful, man. The scenery is cool too.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over Chinook pass aka hwy 410 from Yakima to Enumclaw With a stop at Gold Creek cafe or Whistlin Jacks for breakfast lunch or dinner. On a clear blue sky day though and make sure your brakes are in good shape.

Any road up to one of the lodges at Mount Ranier national park is worthy of a drive on a nice day too but again they test the cooling systems and brakes of the best of them.

6. farmer tom

farmer tom
    from Kansas

A drive I took with my folks when I was in Jr High was the road just south of Idaho Falls, Colorado, Mount Evans maybe, it was suppose to be the highest road in America. It's open seasonally like trail ridge road is. We got to the top just as the lights of Denver were coming on and we could see way past Denver to the east.

7. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I drove out to Cali from MN. a couple years back. I would have to say the Rockies, western CO. and all of Utah were pretty awe inspiring for me. Unfortunately i had no time for pics as i was working. The trip back i took the southern route and New Mexico was beautiful!

8. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

Ive driven alot of rds in my short time on this god forsaken planet, but about the sweetest is either the rd to durango , co. Or the ride on i -70 through the mts in colorado into grand junctuin ... Used to make that one once ayear in the shoebox for viva 5 years running ...

9. Thanks. Maybe I'll move it back if I can. :)
    I'd really like to go to Bonneville one of these years.

10. billj

billj

Like Phat Rat said, the ride up to Copper Harbor in the UP of Michigan on the Keweenaw Peninsula is very nice. Hills, winding roads, water, Brockway Mtn. About 100 mile loop. No traffic hardly and pretty cool cops.

11. phat rat

phat rat

Looking at where you are that's right in your backyard.

12. :) Depends on what time of year.

Route 79 between Florence Jct. and Tucson in the spring with the desert in bloom.

US 101 & Route 1 up the California coast in the summer months.

Route 23 ( also known as the Pig Trail ) between Ozark and Eureka Springs in the fall while the leaves are changing color.

US 1 from the top of the Keys to Key West in the winter.

The Mother Road, Route 66, spring, summer or fall.

Pretty much anywhere in the USA, we are truly blessed!

13. Spike!

Spike!

I would have to say the trip with the So-What gang to Bonneville in 2007 was the best ever I-80 out from PA to Utah, and I-70 back was incredible. I can't pin down one section I liked the best as they were all amazing. Next time I would like to get off the highway more and explore this great country...

Spike

14. rustrustler

rustrustler

There is a lot of beauty in northern Minnesota around Duluth or itasca state park in the fall. I love traveling I-94 from the east in North Dakota,when you round a curve in western ND suddenly the Badlands stretch out in front of you. Mike.

15. Maybe my fave, Hwy 212 south of Red Lodge MT, Beartooth pass. Crossed the pass in August---hot at the bottom, cold and snow on the ground at the top:eek:
    Also ingrained in my trip memory...
    PCH up thru Big Sur
    Blue Ridge Pkwy
    Hwy 89 thru the Gallatin Mts, Livingston MT to Gardiner(outside Yellowstone)
    Natchez Trace pkwy Leipers Fork TN to Tupelo MS
    Hwy 1 thru the FL keys

We sure live in a beautiful country ;)

16. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

2nd that. Did the Talimena Skyline Drive on motorcycle back in '84, hope to come back some day..........

http://www.miata93le.com/Talimena Scenic.htm

And NO, I do NOT own a Miata!!! :eek: They just had a good write up.

Otherwise just about any two lane rural highway seen through the windshield of the Studebaker.

17. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am with you Tom, that is a real sweet drive Flagstaff to Jerome.
    I drove the US50 loneliest hwy which was another memorable trip.
    I also like the drive on I70 from UT thru CO, just because there is a mixture of scenery and always enjoy noting the change in rock formation.

I am sure there are prettier trips than the ones I have chosen but they all have something special. I drove NYC to San Diego and just loved the Shannondoah Valley portion.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ditto... did it once with my Dad in our van in the fall of 89 while in the area riding narrow gauge trains. We played an AMA motorcycle tour cassette tape while we drove to get the details. I hope they still make those kinds of tapes / cds, as they are neat to play while touring. Later, Gary

19. silversink

silversink

The 5 miles to the wrecking yard----again

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like that one, too - and get back on and go all the way to Oregon. Don't forget to stop for a day in Gold Beach and ride the "Mail Boats." We did that one year during a motorcycle conventon. What a blast... wear your rain gear! Gary

http://www.mailboat.com/

21. havi

havi

I agree.

My virgin ride in my '48 F1 will be the Lake Superior Circle tour. Friends have done it and said two things: It's beautiful, and don't break down, there's noone nowhere that you'll see. About a 3 day trip.

22. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

How come nobody's mentioned the Jersey Turnpike? Especially as it goes through the *Valley of the Oil Refineries* and *Warehouse & Ghetto National Park?* Simply beautiful!

CB

23. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

I'll second that... once I get this project done, I'm planning on taking 2 or 3 months off (prob summer '10) and 'goin Kerouac', just hittin the road. Plan is to hit all 48, maybe even make it to Alaska to see an old friend from high school. All my friends and family tell me I'm nuts... because I'm a truck driver and want to take a 'vacation' like this. Some folks just don't understand the WhiteLine Fever...:)

24. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

We live in a beautiful country. I wanted to post some trips I have taken but they are pretty well covered already. Some of those routes mentioned are a handful with Hot Rod "buggy suspension"! I am writing down the ones I have not taken and putting them in a list. Keep it up! One I don't think was mentioned yet... the run from Roswell through Ruiduso/Capitan down past the top of White Sands. Lots of climate/elevation changes.

25. skidsteer

skidsteer

JeffreyJames' pics of the Blue Ridge blue me out of the water, but if you're in the vicinity of NYC or western NJ, check out NY Rte 97 between Minisink Ford and Port Jervis NY. Best viewed heading South. Be sure to have your camera with you, unlike me.

26. Spooky

Spooky

Take Route 101 from Cape Dissapointment in Washington, to Newport Oregon.

SoCal may have the sunshine and amazing sights at their beaches, but the rough and rocky coast of the Great Northwest is unbeleivable.

27. Scott

Scott

Zion,
    anywhere on 89 from Utah to Arizona, especially just north of sedona
    The ride into the north rim of the Grand Canyon
    I-89 through vermont
    Kangamangus Hwy in New Hampshire
    Tioga pass from Lee Vining to Yosemite
    Best accomplished on a Harley Davidson:D

28. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

I grew up on PA666... literally! South Main Street in Sheffield... a beautiful 40 mile stretch. Most all the roads around my home here are incredible drives, that's why I still call it home!

29. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

i concur.

30. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

there's always one
    well the New Jersey turnpike can be a nice drive, maybe not as beautiful as out west or down south. but it does offer a great view of the NYC skyline, The Statue of Liberty (off exit 14) and you do drive thru the meadowlands, which consist of roughly 8,400 acres of open, undeveloped space. not as bad as some would want you to believe.