Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Most Beautiful Drive in America, what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 26, 2009.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

OK, so I just got back from a road trip on California's Hwy 1 from LA to Monterey, with my son in his '62 Impala. I'd never been in southern California before, so it was a real treat for both of us. Posted a note here about it, and as I'm hang'n out here at his place in Sin City ( I don't gamble, and a hooker is out of the question, so I have some free time :D) for a couple of days before I head back home to sunny Michigan, I thought of this:

What's your favorite drive/ride? Even better, what's your favorite drive in a hot rod or custom? For me, it's not really complete unless it's in something I built, that makes the experience a little more personal and meaningful.

So, let's see some photos, and hear some stories and photos of YOUR favorite drive, and what you drove there! There are loads of great drives, and half the fun is learning of more to be added to the list!

Attached Files:

2. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I would have to say one of the best drives was taking old rt66 from kingman through the black mountains and Oatman, down into the Colorado river valley and up through Needles, CA. Now i'm a flatland boy, used to corn and bean fields so I am absolutely in love with the desert terain! If you get a chance to make that drive DO IT!

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yeah, I've driven that, and like you, from the midwest, the terrain is so "alien" it's cool.

Speaking of corn and bean fields, we were impressed by the fruit orchards and vineyards that stretch from west of Lost Hills to Bakersfield and beyone. Jeez, miles and miles of Peach trees and cherry trees in bloom, pretty amazing. If you ever wondered where your food comes from, drive through central California!

4. bruce hylton

bruce hylton
    from toledo wa

Columbia River Gorge up 14 100 mile from Portland and back on 84.

5. Have driven a hot rod in 40 of the 48 states, and you just took the best trip of all
    U S 1 up the coast is incrediable.
    A few years ago I took it all the way up to Ft Bragg.
    In a Roadster to boot.

6. Fontucky Slim

Fontucky Slim

Some of the prettiest road in the country.

7. The Million Dollar Highway in southwest Colorado is pretty amazing from Ouray to Durango. It fabulous on a motorcycle. Lots of curves and beautiful mountains.

8. Following the river through the rockies on 70 hands down.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Blue Ridge Parkway though North Carolina.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  10. North shore of Lake Superior is a nice one. Really great in the fall.

11. chopo

chopo

The road to the Jalopy Showdown!!! :D

12. I-35 from Fort Worth to Waco, or I-40 from OKC to Amarillo... NOT!

13. Smoky Mtn Parkway betwen Gatlinburg and Ashville NC.
    Arkansas Hwy 7 from Hot Springs to Harrison.

14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

The Cooke City Highway north out of Yellowstone. Hwy. 89 from Flagstaff through Sedona and on to Jerome, AZ.

15. Ice man

Ice man

I would say any where up there. We don't have rolling hills and black smooth belts of asphalt, with streams, to pull over and soak you tootsies, or even rivers. But we have ocean, and salt water, salt air, and corrosian, that rust any and every thing, tools, cars (loves roofs). If it sets it rusts. So while we have what you folks spend big bucks for, for a couple of weeks, I would prefer some roads that stretch for miles, and have no end. LOL. Enjoy your ride. Iceman

16. I'm with you Jeffrey! There can'b be a more beautiful road anywhere...at least nowhere I've been!

Gimme a little while to get the truck going (ground-up project) and we'll try to get a group to cruise it. My parents are from the area and I know some cool sidetrips!

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Any thing in the Black Hills of South Dakota!

18. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I'm in California & where does our fruit come from?
    CHILE!!!:rolleyes:

Best drive in a hot rod?
    For this car- the 1st drive to the mountains. Not too far but 1st long trip.
    Stayed at these cool cabins.
    Had our good friends meet us up there (non-car people) & stayed in cabin next door. Their son was shot in head in Iraq & loves hot rods. He spent 3 days in my car & had the time of his life. I'll never forget that trip & the smile on Jarod's face.:D Priceless, got a tear now- just thinkibn about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  19. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

US 395 from SoCal to Reno. Awesome geology, spectacular climes, and there USED TO BE a cool salvage yard at Pearsonville, near Ridgecrest. Oh well.

Also Snake River Canyon on the west side going into the Black Hills.

Interstate 15 and 70 through southern Utah.

Doug Cook

And any road that puts my normal life in the rear view mirror.

20. I-70 From KC to eastern Colorado. Long and straight. Nothing but plains and prairie and farms as far as you can see......
    Oh and a good healty cross wind.

21. I've been there:eek:too

22. Crankhole

Crankhole

Avenue of the Giants in Northern California.

23. This one gets the nod from me too. Beautiful.

24. El Gordo

El Gordo

In B.C. Hwy 3a north from Creston B.C. hugs the shore of Kootenay Lake for 100 km (60 miles) - there are 365 curves in the road in that 100 km.
    The road ends at the cool little hippy town of Crawford Bay and the "worlds longest free ferry" gets you over the lake and on the way to Nelson.

OH - you did say most beautiful drive in NORTH America, right?

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've covered alot of highway in the few short years I was on tour. And I have a few favorites:

1. FlynBrian, you should've kept going, because that stretch of road you were on becomes my FAVORITE in the entire country. First you see trees, then you see big trees, then your Eyes pop out of your sockets because all of the sudden you're an ant next to the biggest trees you've seen in your life. How about 20 feet around/200 feet tall? It's amazing. And you have to stop in Crescent city and marvel at the forest hitting the beach. Unbelievable.

2. Waaaay north of there in Washington the 101 turns west and follows the straight out to sea, there was a road we drove on , I think it was the 112, where the sun was setting and we pulled over to just look and there were a bunch of Orca heading out to sea. It was surreal.

3. Highway 40 off the I70 in Colorado takes you past (and over) some freakin MOUNTAINS on into salt Lake City. Amazing...

4.I can't remember what road it was but we left Montpelier, Vermont and headed for Maine in the fall. Freakin gorgeous..

26. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I was typing when you posted that, but YES!! My favorite anywhere...

27. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Anywhere on 101 from So Cal to BC

28. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Skyline Drive throught the Shenandoah Valley Virginia, just stay on it and it becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can get on it about two hours west of Washington D.C. and drive it to western N.C., but you better plan at least two days, three would be better.

29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

We've heard US Hwy 191 from the Ariz.-Mexican border all the way north to Canada is one of the best, most beautiful and varied drives in the Continental 48.

We're hoping to make that trip in the next year or so in the 32 3W, 23 Track Roadster, with the wives driving the 78 Barth motorhome.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  30. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Any road that gets me outta the shit hole city and away from all the dumbass drivers, and out to the country,and the trees and hidden old cars.