Register now to get rid of these ads!

Moser or Currie????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52 HenryJ, Jul 19, 2007.

1. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Ok so the third member is together and in the housing. That being said I am ready to get axles, so which is a better brand Moser or Currie??? I broke my last pair (stock ford 28 spline) so need something stronger. Thank you in advance ---- John

2. jaqasse

jaqasse
    from so cal

nothing against moser, but i know years ago they were the "seconds" from i belive mark williams, but i know for a fact anything currie is excellent, great family to boot.

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Odd...years ago they were having their axle castings made down the road in a foundry that they're still working with today.

I've never heard ANYTHING other than Greg Moser was a stand-up guy, treated his employees well, stood behind his product, and they're carrying on the tradition now that he's gone. I'll use Moser each and every time.

I won't buy from Currie.

-Brad

4. I know a bunch of drag racers, and all use either strange, or Moser. I don't know of anybody that dragraces with curry. Not putting any down just from my experiences moser is a pretty damn good axle.

5. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

A friend of mine has been a salesman at currie for 12 or so years...They stand behind their product as well as anyone...Currie has defined themselves as a rockcrawler/4wd company and that is why you dont see them in many dragracers.....

6. i've had very good luck with Moser axles.

7. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

I've hear nothing but good from both of them, but just not sure who to give my business to................

8. what were you doing to cause your axle to break? depending on your use , you may want to think about stepping up.....Moser makes several grades of axles

28 spline small bearing axles are the same as ford 8"...not really meant to plant high horse power engines . for example: if you have 4.56 gears and 11" wide slicks...somethings gonna give

9. john56h

john56h

I bought a used set of Moser axles for my GM 8.5" rearend. I've pounded them on both dirt and asphalt oval tracks in a 78 Malibu street stocker for about seven solid years....no breakage, never bent. They are great and I'd definately buy another set.

I had Mark Williams before the Mosers and broke both of them (the splined end broke rather than the flange). I also had a set of Strange axles and they had issues with the c-clip eliminators always leaking and breaking bearings.

I don't have any experiences with Currie's products.

10. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

cant go wrong with either one..i use them both.

11. currie is a pain in the ass, had to argue to get all my parts back last 2 times (plus 1 took 3 months to shorten after a 2 week promise).

12. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Moser, shit is pricey though

13. 28rpu

28rpu

Chances are some may be using forgings from the same manufacturer. Not all axle suppliers are the manufacturer.

14. funguynstc

funguynstc

Moser and Strange used here,have had good luck with both

15. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

Ok think you've mad up my mind then. Moser it is!!!!!

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Whatever is the closest ... freight costs money ...
    In the past I used Summers Brothers axles ... but have Moser in the 32 3W ... :D

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

18. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

Moser's are good stuff. I run them in my rock rig without incident.

Yukon's are affordable, Alloy USA are excellent, but the hands down best you can lay hands on is from Superior.

If you haven't already, upgrade to 31 spline (a stock configuration), and stick in some alloy shafts and you'll likely never break it again.

If you're really laying down some power, there are 35 and even 40 spline goodies available for the 9".

19. rsg2506

rsg2506

I had bad luck with Moser. They sent me the wrong size axles. After returning the incorrect axles for the correct size , they charged my credit card to have the axles cut down to the correct size without asking or informing me of the charge. I don't feel that I should have paid for their error in sending me the incorrect axles(I am "very" confident that I provided the correct measurements) or charging me extra for the correct ones without informing me. I went back and forth with the credit card company before I finally gave up. I would go somewhere else now.

-Rich

20. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

Dutchman is another if you are looking for options.

-Jeff

21. Wesley

Wesley

I have use Mark Williams, Strange, and Moser. Never had a breakage with any of them and excellent customer service from all three.

22. B-Man

B-Man

I have only ordered stock replacement axles from Currie, and they did the job.
    But I did order some axles from Moser and was amazed at the knowledgeable salesperson. (Sounds like a commercial yet?)
    Anyway, I had a special application that required every aspect of the axle to be a certain size. Yeah, length and spline count aside, I had to have a certain flange diameter and the register of the center hub (?) had to be very precise to fit my brake setup. I had all of these specs set aside so that I could specify these measurements. I thought that stuff like this might be a problem or that I might get some kid with no clue about what I wanted. Instead, the guy just started asking for every possible dimension. I didn't have to add anything, he covered it all, I just gave him the numbers. Like I said, I was amazed at how thorough it was.
    I have yet to put a lot of stress on those axles, so I don't know how well they will hold up, but I was impressed thus far.

23. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I use Strange. They were very patient and knowledgable on the phone and walked me through the process to make sure I got exactly what I needed. The axles went into a narrowed 8 3/4" with Olds ends. The conversation probably lasted 30-45 minutes as I double checked all the measurements. I think they were delivered in less than a week. Been abusing those axles for 8-9 years now.

24. Drive Em

Drive Em

I've used Mosers in the past, and have had a few problems, breakage, wrong sizes etc. I now use Dutchman exclusively, and have never had a problem. If you were to have a Dutchman and a Moser side by side, there is no comparison as far as quality goes, the Dutchmans look like a better axle, and they are.

25. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

I had currie narrow a ford rear end for me in the early 90`s. I sent two non tapered heavy duty axles to them. I got back two rust pitted junk yard specials.I called them and they refused to deal with me!,called me a liar! I`ll never deal with them again and I warn people about them!!

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

I had Moser shorten and re-spline my axles for my 35. I sent them on a Wednesday if I remember right. I mailed them to them with a check for the price and the return shipping. They were back at my house and properly shortened before the next Tuesday. They HAD to have done them and shipped them right back out the same day. I was more than happy with their service and would reccomend them to anyone!

27. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm continually amazed by Moser's turnaround. I send axles out UPS with instructions for what I want done and they have yet to take a week to get them back and never a problem with what I asked.
    One of the first sets I sent them had a small scar on the flange and the day after I sent them Greg Moser himself was on the phone to let me know about the flaw and his concern about shortening them and resplining. He was worried about the potential of a stress riser and possible failure of the axle. I assured him that the axle was going in a fairground queen and the engine wasn't going to be capable of turning the tires. I thanked him for his concern and the axles appeared on my doorstep 1 1/2 days later.
    After the plane crash that claimed his life I wondered if the great service and quality I'd grown accustomed to would vanish but it seems that his son is following the same policys that made the company a success. My axle rework will always go to Moser.

Frank

28. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

i would try going with dutchman, always had excellent service and they are really knowledgable. quality has always been excellent too.

www.dutchmanms.com

29. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I just ordered a special 8" ford axle from Currie because the Moser salesman acted like I was stupid for not buying a 9". The last axle I bought from Moser came the wrong width,when I told them they said it was my fault and would charge me to make it right!!!! They did finally relent and made it right though. I've used them for years but they are startin to piss me off. Normal Norman

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I had 4 high h/p cars with big slicks and the axles are still in use. moser all the way. you can't beat the turn around time from phone call to delivery.