Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

I thought about it and the small block Ford will stay right where it is.

OahuEli, catdad49, brEad and 5 others like this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Mike !! Been a while. Saw your H gas thoughts, would be cool ! We have batted that one around for the Volvo. Wish I could talk Cotton Perry into loaning me one of his screaming Chevy 6's. C Gas has gotten crazy. ETs not obtainable on my budget. Kinda between sick and pissed. Still having fun though. What's next for the Morris?

loudbang likes this.
  3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Finally an update on the Morris and on my heart issue. Got clearance from my heart doctor to drive the car ! Then I pinched a nerve in my back a few weeks ago playing golf. So going for a shot next week to try and get that calmed down.
    I got my brakes completely plumbed with my line lock. Got all the battery cables run . Got the fuel system plumbed and the fuel pump installed.
    Got the battery shut off switch in and wired.
    Rehabbed my Victory motorcycle and if I can get it sold. That will give me the funds to finish this thing in time for most of the season this year. DSCF3484.JPG DSCF3485.JPG DSCF3486.JPG

catdad49, brEad, Dog_Patch and 6 others like this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have been waiting on you to give me a holler to help but you haven't given me a call.
    Looks like you are about ready to race.

catdad49, loudbang and Fiddle Picker like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

My neighbor came over and helped me put the chunk in the car . Thanks Enloe .

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Well the offer still stands:)

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Congratulations on the Good Health Report. I, as thousands of others, follow the Southeast Gassers, and we look forward to watching what they are doing with there cars on Facebook. So, I hope you start a SEGA Morris Minor Gasser page.
    I look forward to seeing you in action.
    God Bless

loudbang and enloe like this.
  8. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Looking great Mike !! On the lookout for someone that wants a bike.

loudbang likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

Getting ready to leave for the SEGA race at London,Ky. Weather looks bad for Saturday ,hope Sunday afternoon is dry. We will probably go the Gospel barn in Williamsburg, Ky Saturday night if we get rained out Saturday.

10. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Car looks great. We hope to be ready for the June race

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks. I got some new energy after going to London ,Ky.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Built my overhead switch panel today . Will get some pictures tomorrow when I get it installed.

Fiddle Picker, Hang'emHigh and enloe like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got my switch panel installed today and my cooling fan wired. Should have about everything else wired and my ignition box installed. DSCF3490.JPG DSCF3491.JPG

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks like great progress. :)

loudbang and enloe like this.
  15. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Looking sharp Mike !! Almost there !

enloe and loudbang like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Made an amazing discovery today on my car. The southeast gassers would like for you to try and hide all of your modern touches to the cars, like ignition boxes. Not very many places to hide stuff in mine so I thought if I raise the passenger seat a couple inches that the box would slide right under the front of the seat and be out of sight , but still be where I could get to it.
    While doing this I noticed that it appear to move back some also. So I went around to the driver side and slid a couple of blocks of wood under the seat and wow! I gained 2 inches of leg room while still keeping my head with a helmet below the top bar of my cage. In a Morris Minor with a roll cage that is huge. So much for wiring today . It was all about building all new seat mounts and enjoying the added room in my little car. It also moves my weight more to the rear of the car. I feel like I am in a Cadillac now instead of trying to sit in a phone booth. Well maybe not that much room, but much less confining than before.

17. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Mike, just noticed your fuel pressure regulator mounted to the firewall. I know you're not building to NHRA rules, so you know, that's a no-no to them. Don't know about SEGA. fyi.

loudbang likes this.
  18. southcross2631

southcross2631

I figured because of the engine set back The block plate is 3 inches behind the firewall and the fuel line is outside of the frame rail it would be o.k.
    I will call the Div.2 tech line tomorrow and get the official word on it. Thanks for the heads up.

catdad49, Fiddle Picker and enloe like this.
  19. southcross2631

southcross2631

Contacted the NHRA div 2 tech line . Have been waiting almost 2 weeks for a reply on an answer to the fuel pressure regulator mounting. I think a 2 inch spacer should put me far enough ahead of the flywheel area.
    In the mean time I have completed the wiring on the car and have tested all of the circuits and everything works as it should.
    I also sold my motorcycle on Sunday so I have ordered new slicks and front tires. I talked to Spec clutches today and got the price for my clutch set up.
    Setting my pinion angle so I can get my drive shaft measurements. It is finally coming together.
    Now if I could just get some relief for this pinched nerve in my back . Working on the car would so much more fun and a lot less of a struggle. DSCF3492.JPG DSCF3495.JPG DSCF3493.JPG DSCF3494.JPG

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Got some new shoes yesterday. Will mount them up in the next few days. Hoosier 28 x 9.0x 15 slicks. Moroso
    5.50 x15 front runners per the SEGA rules. I would make somebody a smoking deal on a set of 165/80 R 15 front tires that have about 10 feet of rolling since new. I bought them before the front tire rule went into effect. Now I have to remove the white lettering on the Hoosier's. Had a defective distributor that Jegs replaced , received it yesterday. My clutch set up should be here tomorrow or Tuesday with the holiday weekend . DSCF3498.JPG
    DSCF3497.JPG

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looking good, hope that when you get in the driver's seat, relieves your back.
    What is their front tire rule?

Fiddle Picker, enloe and loudbang like this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

After I climb in over the door bar of the cage and sit in the seat. The back pain is gone. As I am close enough now to almost hear it run.
    They want you to run the Moroso front drag tires as that was what was available . no front radials .

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Gotya , there are two used sets for sale on the 348-408.com fourm.
    A 5.50 15 and a 7.50 15

Fiddle Picker, enloe and loudbang like this.
  24. As the old saying goes, "You've come a long way". HRP

[​IMG]

Fiddle Picker, brEad, enloe and 2 others like this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks Danny.

Fiddle Picker and enloe like this.
  26. catdad49

catdad49

Mike, just finished up your thread. You are The Man and that little car is Killer! With all the offers of help, words of encouragement and some great medical care your SEGA days are coming soon! All the Best, Carp.

Fiddle Picker, loudbang and enloe like this.
  27. southcross2631

southcross2631

Thanks. I do what I can for a 70 year old guy in a 1 car garage.
    I must be the neighborhood entertainment. I had 3 guys watch me mount my slicks today using a 5 gallon paint thinner can and a tire spoon. They really were amazed when I brought out my bubble balancer to balance the tires after I got them mounted.
    The tire store wanted 25 bucks to mount and balance them and I told him to stick it. I did it in less than an hour and put that 25 bucks right back in my pocket. Even though it was 92 degrees today.
    My clutch set up came today. Along with my slip yoke for the driveshaft and the clutch cable and throw out fork. When I get done it will work just like a fox body Mustang cable setup. DSCF3500.JPG

28. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Mike, just read thru your entire thread. Very good read. Excellent work. Glad to hear you are doing better. I will be following along, looking forward to hearing about the first run!

29. Glad the health issues seem to have eased. Enjoying your build - thanks for sharing it!

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Car is looking good